Be Aware of DVD-A discs (new still still Sealed stating Hong Kong) shipping from Taiwan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooh! found another one! 🎊🎉

REM's "Automatic For The People"

(which according to my notes, i got new and sealed in September 2014 for the earthly sum of £17)

View attachment 51046

View attachment 51047

so in amongst all the blurb, we have a url for 華納音樂台灣官方網站

(Warner Music Taiwan)

also, details for "King's International Multimedia Co. Ltd", which i presume either made or distributed these discs? 🤷‍♀️
Curiosity got the better of me and King's International Multimedia Co. Ltd is supposedly a Taiwanese Disc Manufacturer, just an address (which doesn't make sense and appears bogus) and a phone no., no website, no information about them other than on Bloomberg. Yet Bloomberg seems to indicate it is in Retail. Which is strange as a company that wants to do business internationally would have a website these days!

I've been to Taiwan a few times for work, and it has always struck me as place where IP is protected, so surprised this hasn't been stomped on. BTW The high speed bullet train between Tapei & Kaohsiung is great!

Here's what you get with a discogs search for the label King's International Multimedia:

KIMM-DISCOGS.jpg

ooh! found another one! 🎊🎉

REM's "Automatic For The People"

(which according to my notes, i got new and sealed in September 2014 for the earthly sum of £17)

View attachment 51046

View attachment 51047

so in amongst all the blurb, we have a url for 華納音樂台灣官方網站

(Warner Music Taiwan)

also, details for "King's International Multimedia Co. Ltd", which i presume either made or distributed these discs? 🤷‍♀️
The printing of the cover and front art looks fine. Just the obi looks kinds fuzzy to me. The Warner Music and W logo under the barcode look very ink jet printerish to me. Anyone else think it lacks sharpness? Or maybe the camera in dull light. I'd need sharper pictures to be able to see if the obi and bar code really looks this bad.

I had a look at Discogs and if you search for "Warner Music Taiwan", you get the legitimate labels' listings. There are a few DVD-A titles listed and Discogs hasn't blocked them for sale like they do for illegitimate releases. I am wondering if there are some cheaper treasures to be found.
Not really because these DVD-A are priced all over the place. Some $79.00 range, and others south of $30.

Last edited:
I don't know about all that J, I would just let my ears tell me if it's real, in the first place why would someone go to all that work to make a perfectly legit looking presentation of a disc with all the packaging and inserts for something that barely sells anywhere to anybody but crazy fucks like us, for $30 us which is what like $25 Eu, seems like lot of work for nothing to me. anyways I will absolutely Know if it is a boot right away. I was watching the Tutu disc for a couple of months and the seller had 2 and sold none of them
No, these titles are being offered for more than a fast $30. Look at the prices again.

I'm not following the angst here guys? why is it not possible that these are just new old unsold stock? we have a well respected member here who was rooting around in a chinese warehouse district last year and finding loads of stuff. I bought a marley BD from him with the chinese/japanese obi thingy on it and it is perfectly legit, not a copy of any sort.

Yeah, that stash of high-res surround was a legit product. And if I recall correctly had cutout markings, as the Marley did right. Maybe all his stuff had big saw cuts to the product.

It's very hard to tell how long and how many have sold on ebay. When you bring up a seller of these and look at their feedback (so that you can see other previous sales), the history is all "private". Like the seller does not want anyone to see the sales history of this product line. The items on the feedback list that do show up with titles (not private) are all obscure Asian artists, and are not a part of the stuff we are discussing.

Last edited:
The printing of the cover and front art looks fine. Just the obi looks kinds fuzzy to me. The Warner Music and W logo under the barcode look very ink jet printerish to me. Anyone else think it lacks sharpness? Or maybe the camera in dull light. I'd need sharper pictures to be able to see if the obi and bar code really looks this bad.

the obi is sharper than that, its just the blurry photo, plus when i upload stuff to the forum it gets even blurrier for some reason.

i'll scan the whole lot in when i get a chance.

Labels are given a period to unload old stock before it must be ground up and removed from the market. Like 12 months.

well quite and if its the old Taiwanese distributor that went bust or some agent acting on their behalf, maybe they found a crate full in a warehouse, surely in that kind of scenario they can be sold however and whenever without any rights issues being a factor?

well quite and if its the old Taiwanese distributor that went bust or some agent acting on their behalf, maybe they found a crate full in a warehouse, surely in that kind of scenario they can be sold however and whenever without any rights issues being a factor?
They could have been old stock to be cut with a saw mark and sold off at $1.99 each in the bargain bins. And they simply missed the buzz saw, and escaped the bargain bins as well.

They are being sold on the down-low that's for sure. As quietly and discreetly as possible when asking for top dollar.

Well as fate would have it my Tutu disc came today, I opened and played it on the way home and I can unequivocally say that it is not a boot. it's date of mfg is 2002 and was distributed by warner music international, inside the case is the typical enclosures that came with them all except the mail in questionnaire card is in chinese, it has an english and chinese fold outs introducing dvda with other available releases. The disc and cover insert are all english exactly as they were from the rest of the world. Playing this disc there is no way to fake the extended resolution of this one. I know this album well as it is my favorite miles davis album from his progressive era, while it is a conservative mix for sure it is highly enjoyable, and sonicly, get out of town. this album has bone shaking bottom end that doesn't come through on any other release, this is no boot, and looking again I paid $37 us for this incl. Shipping. 20 years ago they sold in my area for @$27, 10 extra dollars for 20 years to me is a bargain. There is no doubt in my mind that these sat in some warehouse somewhere until someone came across them and knew that there are people out there who still appreciate em. Posted a pic, check it

Attachments

• 0514201914.jpg
    0514201914.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 194
Great news, and glad these can be used to fill in the holes in our collections. Now if they would come up with all the Sony SACDs from 20 years ago as well we'd all be so happy.

Last edited:
Well as fate would have it my Tutu disc came today, I opened and played it on the way home and I can unequivocally say that it is not a boot. it's date of mfg is 2002 and was distributed by warner music international, inside the case is the typical enclosures that came with them all except the mail in questionnaire card is in chinese, it has an english and chinese fold outs introducing dvda with other available releases. The disc and cover insert are all english exactly as they were from the rest of the world. Playing this disc there is no way to fake the extended resolution of this one. I know this album well as it is my favorite miles davis album from his progressive era, while it is a conservative mix for sure it is highly enjoyable, and sonicly, get out of town. this album has bone shaking bottom end that doesn't come through on any other release, this is no boot, and looking again I paid $37 us for this incl. Shipping. 20 years ago they sold in my area for @$27, 10 extra dollars for 20 years to me is a bargain. There is no doubt in my mind that these sat in some warehouse somewhere until someone came across them and knew that there are people out there who still appreciate em. Posted a pic, check it
Nice pictures. I've noticed that we never get to see the back cover of these without the obi covering it. Could you be so kind as to show us that back cover in the case, with the original bar code too if it has a barcode. I'd like to see full text including "made in" addresses, as well as barcode Full close up of back cover? Thanks for good news too.

Nice pictures. I've noticed that we never get to see the back cover of these without the obi covering it. Could you be so kind as to show us that back cover in the case, with the original bar code too if it has a barcode. I'd like to see full text including "made in" addresses, as well as barcode Full close up of back cover? Thanks for good news too.
Hope this helps, literally the best pic I could get of the back, my phone is known as more of an audio phone than a picture taking phone.0515202127.jpg0515202142.jpg

Back