OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audiomuxer will create a DVDV iso with optional image and sub title text for each track. Since my car has a mod that allows it to display video while playing I use the album cover and track title.

This method is painful. I’d rather just play the same FLAC files I’ve created for my 7.1 home system and PC than make special DVDs and have to store them in my car.

Gosh I would much rather do that too...but until we come into a little more money and can upgrade to the 2018 or new 2019 Odyssey Touring models, both of which feature Blu-ray systems, I'm stuck with lossy DVD-Video options and gotta do something to make it work. If it's too painful I'll just accept the lossy Dolby 5.1...still surround and the mastering is better in most cases too which outweighs the drop in fidelity.

Thanks for the Audiomuxer tip, I'll give it a shot.

Audiomuxer will create a DVDV iso with optional image and sub title text for each track. Since my car has a mod that allows it to display video while playing I use the album cover and track title.

This method is painful. I’d rather just play the same FLAC files I’ve created for my 7.1 home system and PC than make special DVDs and have to store them in my car.

Thanks for the recommendation - I know the dts conversion part is a bit of a pain but compared to everything else I tried once I had the dts files, AudioMuxer was a breeze. Well, mostly a breeze, lol. Turned out I had an ampersand in my user name in Windows, so I had to create another administrator account (W7 Pro 64), boot into safe mode, rename my account without the ampersand, edit the registry local key microsoft user profile entry as it doesn't update auotmatically, then finally the mux engine worked without balking.

Once I had that part done...THEN AudioMuxer was a breeze. I've used it for extracting dts-ma from Blu-ray to run the TT meter on but never knew it could create a VIDEO_TS from audio files and still pics, fantastic. At least I only have to do each album once and then I'll have 1.509 Mbps dts versions of all my DVD-A discs that only have Dolby in the DVD-V layer.

Aces!

Nice Dobyblue. I was pretty happy with this too. I think I did about 30 or so before I stopped.

I even went as far as printing the cover image onto the printable discs.

Since DTS plus the cover image is quite small one of my DTD DVDs I made had 4 albums in a single ISO.

As many of you know, the Hyundai Genesis has first-class DVD-Audio support from 2009-2011. (I drive a 2011).
I test-drove a 2012 and I'm not sure whether they improved the DVD-Audio support or hurt it... but I digress.
The 2015-2016 Genesis, as far as I know, dropped DVD-Audio support and replaced it with nothing.

Enter the 2017 Genesis G80. Hyundai has spun off its own luxury brand named after the Genesis sedan. The G80 is the replacement for the Hyundai Genesis; the G90 will be the replacement for the Equus.

Anyway -- talk about burying the lede -- the new G80 (V6 Ultimate or V8) supports DVD-Audio.

Let me say that again.

THE NEW 2017 GENESIS G80 SUPPORTS DVD-AUDIO!!!
I’m still driving my 2009 Genesis with the Lexicon 7.1. Great system, glad to hear they brought it back.

So, bang for the buck, what is the best car out there with a factory surround system.
I'm talkin' surround awesomeness for the money. So, it doesn't have to be the car with the absolute best system and doesn't have to be the cheapest,
but the one that, per dollar, you get the best surround experience. DVD-A preferred.
Asking for a friend... Thank you.

Mike, I can only answer from my experience which is way limited compared to some of the awesome folks from here as our host(Jon) I would consider one of the experts in the surround car audio world but here's what I have found.
The Acura ILX 2013 is what I could afford and I have gotten almost 6 wonderful years of surround listening with knowing this is not the best audio system out there but it beat anything I ever had in stereo only car systems that I had in the past. So 2013 and 2014 ILX can play dvda.

Having said that I didn't think I would be able to afford something better than the ILX but I just upgraded to a 2014 RDX(just got it this Friday) as whoever owned this prior hardly drove it as it had just under 28,000 km(17,300 miles) on it and the Acura dealership made me a pretty good trade in offer for my ILX to the RDX.
All I can say is WOW, this sounds a couple of times better than my ILX did and if Jon says the 2019 RDX sounds even way better than this, that car must be out of this world.
I am going to have fun relistening to my fav dvda's in this RDX as the sound is very crisp and full, I am definitely very impressed.

So if you have a chance check out a 2013 or 2014 RDX as they are the last years of DVDA systems for the RDX.
I think you would be very impressed as well.

peter

Mike, I also have an RDX, (2013). It's a great car with ES true 5.1 DVD-A and great bass. Although I have to have my Blu-Rays transferred to DVD-A, (a nice QQer has graciously done this for me), the transfers sound amazing (Disturbing the Universe is a good example :)).
I had checked into the ILX, but I preferred the RDX too. Our daughter, who is 11, even likes me to showcase the sound to her buddies. Somnambulist (BT) and lately various Rush tunes have been her favorites to demo. If you can find a good deal on a Tech package RDX, pre 2015, you will like the DVD-A.

.......All I can say is WOW, this sounds a couple of times better than my ILX did and if Jon says the 2019 RDX sounds even way better than this, that car must be out of this world......
peter

First off, congratulations on getting the 14 RDX. You have on hell of an audio system there. If you read some of my earlier posts, I was totally bummed when I got my 17 RDX and thought it sounded like crap because the DVD-A system in the 14 was so much better than what was in the newer non-DVD-A ELS systems.

So you made a great choice. I would have to say that the system in the 14 RDX is about equal to the new ELS 3D system sound-wise. In fact, it looks like the sub is a bit smaller in the 19, so you may even have a bit more thump to your bass than the newest car.

When they removed the DVD player from the ELS system in 2014 (not all models, the RDX kept it because that model was in the middle of it's lifespan) they seemed to lose a lot more audio wise. It was hard to pinpoint and if you read my older threads about it you can see I was annoyed, confused, and pissed.

So fear not Peter, you have a bad ass audio system there. Anyone looking for DVD-A tunes and a small SUV picking up a 13/14/15 RDX (must have TECH PAKAGE) with low mileage and a good record (no crashes, no service issues) will get a great car - - - and a great DVD-A player! :)

Jon, thanks for your reply and the congrats.
Totally agree with you on your report on sound in this car, its STELLAR. I had a chance to listen some more today and I was smiling all the way on a trip to pickup my kids who needed a ride from a spot about an hour out of town. Again thanks to you and your site as I don't know if I ever would have gone this route without the great information here.

peter

<<<<<<<< this guy has already spent some time at work shagging the dog browsing Autotrader.ca for 2013~2015 Acura RDX listings in anticipation of hopefully, inexplicably, having his 2013 Elantra GL crap out despite having the 7-year B2B coverage, lol.

There's a chance I might have a little money heading my way sometime in the next year or two from a relative, so I'm champing at the bit to finally own a car with a good 5.1 system.

It's nice to be able to have dts 5.1 in the 2015 Odyssey but that's the missus car and usually the 8-year old is using the entertainment system so I am 99% of the time stuck with crappy stereo in the Elantra.

:(

I do occasionally take the Odyssey for a quick shopping trip, was cranking the dts 24/96 DVD-V I have of Genesis Invisible Touch last week-end, Tonight Tonight Tonight sounds good. Can't wait to hear it in an RDX though, the Odyssey doesn't have particularly good low-end especially for someone with two Paradigm Servo 15s in their home theatre.

Ooh im very envious, I don't know a UK car, recently manufactured with a surround system as standard.

If anyone has any info..i'm all ears...:)
Only one I know of which states it is a surround system is Jaguar, the Meridian Audio option, however it does state in the bumff somewhere that it blends channels to give all listeners a better sound. I haven't heard it so I can't say if its any good.

It gives the impression that the Krell system is identical(in features) to the ELS....with the obvious exception of the speakers...check it out

It was actually that link that led me here to ask that question, I just wish they would state "also important for QQ forum members...it does discrete surround!!"

Haha.

There is an Acura dealer close-by, I should throw something really obviously discrete onto a thumb drive and see if I can go sit in that model for 5 mins. Perhaps something like Steven Wilson's Pariah.

EDIT - and they do have one in stock, holy Moses the list price is CDN$74,000!

Looks like the 2021 Acura TLX will have the ELS 3D Studio system.
B23A7B0B-51F8-4CA2-9645-D1EF6BC3797B.jpeg

We don’t get the Acura brand here in AU, unfortunately. I had a Honda Prelude when I lived in San Fran years ago. Nice car.

I never went ahead with the Audi Q3 Sportback (with surround FLAC capability). My wife wasn’t keen on the interior, she’s anti-black leather. Interestingly, Audi are now offering 5yr warranty and free servicing here, a sign of the times, bugger all sales during CV.

I didn't see anything that mentions the ELS 3D Studio System in the video or Acura page.. is there something else to give us hope?
Full details will be released by Acura next week. However, the image I shared was from the official ELS Premium Audio Facebook page with the caption "Up next in our 3D lineup." Not sure what more you need as confirmation.

Back