We're having a resurgence of obsolete formats!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I hate in the music and video industry is forced obsolescence. They want to make you buy the same titles again by making the old versions unplayable.

There are some wackos who have to have the latest in technology and throw out their old stuff because it is old technology. They are like the ones who throw out last year's music because it is old. But I want to keep ALL of the recordings I have, not just the newest.

I have records as old as 1908. I need the ability to play all recordings, not just the latest stuff. We do not need any more new formats. And I already have to have way too many players.

These are all of the formats that I know exist.
* means I have recordings
** means I have recordings, but no working player
# means also in matrix quadraphonic (at least 6 matrix systems)

- Cylinder records (at least 6 different kinds)
- Vertically recorded large groove records (at least 6 speeds)*
- Laterally recorded large groove records (at least 6 speeds)*
- Diagonally recorded large groove records*
- Laterally recorded (mono) microgroove records (4 speeds)*
- Stereo microgroove records (4 speeds)* #
- CD-4 records**
- UD4 records
- 1/4" reel half-track mono tape (3 speeds)**
- 1/4" reel quarter-track stereo recordings (3 speeds)** #
- 1/4" reel quadraphonic recordings
- 4-track large RCA cassette
- 4-track stereo cartridge**
- 8-track stereo cartridge**
- 8-track quadraphonic cartridge
- 2-track mono cassette*
- 4-track stereo cassette* #
- 2-track Playtape
- 4-track Elcaset
- Mono reel video
- Mono U-Matic VCR
- Mono Betamax VCR**
- Mono VHS**
- Stereo VHS** #
- VHS audio
- Selectavision
- Magnavision
- Stereo CD* #
- Other stereo digital discs
- SACD
- DVD* #
- DVDA
- Blu-Ray
- mp3* #

There are others I didn't list, plus a myriad of computer formats.
DAT-MD-DCC-(S-VHS)-VHS HiFi-MVI-DualDisc........

It's REALLY ultimately depressing how many LOSSY formats, in both video and audio, the Majors have foisted upon us and I could kick myself in the ass for how many of them I actually invested in.

All that time and energy not to mention MONEY wasted on trying to get the latest, greatest [HUH!] version of a favorite album or video in hindsight what turned out to be only a fraction of the fidelity and resolution contained on those 30/15 ips MASTER TAPES and 35mm Film Negatives!!!!!!

And a lot of QQ posters still question my motives why in 2020 A.D. I vehemently eschew lossy formats and even BD~V [over 4K] when we have the tools and resources to FINALLY capture the FULL 30/15 ips/DDD 24 bit resolution of those Analogue/Digital master tapes and/or 35mm Film Negatives!

JUST IMAGINE if all those resources had been focused on perfecting the DELIVERY of SURROUND SOUND instead of 'dicking' us around with inferior, clunky formats which when compared to a modern multi~ch SACD/MLP DVD~A/BD~A.... frankly sound PATHETIC!

Last edited:
Most of the proliferation of formats is about licensing fees. But, you already knew that.

And ultimately, Linda, in the end who suffered the most ...... yep, THE CONSUMER! My major gripe is how much we all invested in a favorite album or movie in inferior formats over the years and NOW that we have the LOSSLESS codecs to make it right, even some new pricey box sets come out with lavish coffee table sized tomes and only include a LOSSY DVD~V of the album in surround then include a LOSSLESS Stereo version and on my systems, the 24 bit LOSSLESS Stereo version, in every instance, blows away the DTS/DD 5.1. PITIFUL, IMO.

Most of the proliferation of formats is about licensing fees. But, you already knew that.

It's a Bungle in the Jungle 🕺🕴🕳

a generational Shell Game 🐚🐚🐚

and too much greedy corporate positioning
🧫🤑

Enough dirty dancing 👯‍♀️👯‍♂️ for all to enjoy...
but going back to an old and fragile format (I hate tape, had my wedding taped on a VHS that got crinkled and destroyed in a machine) is
💩

enjoy your change
two_cents.jpg

It's a Bungle in the Jungle 🕺🕴🕳

a generational Shell Game 🐚🐚🐚

and too much greedy corporate positioning
🧫🤑

Enough dirty dancing 👯‍♀️👯‍♂️ for all to enjoy...
but going back to an old and fragile format (I hate tape, had my wedding taped on a VHS that got crinkled and destroyed in a machine) is
💩

enjoy your change
View attachment 51409

See the source image

Mr & Mrs. PUPSTER'S "I DOs" silenced forever on V H S

- 1/4" reel half-track mono tape (3 speeds)**
- 1/4" reel quarter-track stereo recordings (3 speeds)** #
- 1/4" reel quadraphonic recordings

There may also have been a 1/4" full-track mono format. I was just thinking this morning about a 5" reel I have from--of all bizarre things--Radio Moscow that appears to be recorded that way. It's probably from the late 1970s and I believe was sent to a college radio station.

There may also have been a 1/4" full-track mono format. I was just thinking this morning about a 5" reel I have from--of all bizarre things--Radio Moscow that appears to be recorded that way. It's probably from the late 1970s and I believe was sent to a college radio station.

For some compulsive archival reason, I feel like this needs to be preserved:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

How unique that DuncanS starts this about obsolete formats & then just today I run into this:

https://www.redsharknews.com/this-super-8-music-video-made-a-big-hit-with-5-million-views-in-5-days
Yup the latest Katy Perry music video was shot on Super 8 mm film! Now I was a regular 8 man myself, did a lot of stop motion so, so much goofing around in high school with my Petri 8mm camera. And when I watch this video the 1st thing I think is.... 8mm or Super 8 doesn't look that bad. I mean overall the video is fun & cool but I think they tried to exaggerate what we remember the trademarks of home cinema filming.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to the basement to build a crystal radio set so I can listen to AM radio.

I had a DAT "Walkman", believe it or not. I forget why, but I used it for recording stuff, as it was a recorder as well, but I had to buy a $200 "kit" to get the interface for recording. I am so freaking gullible for crap like that. :(

I had a DAT "Walkman", believe it or not. I forget why, but I used it for recording stuff, as it was a recorder as well, but I had to buy a $200 "kit" to get the interface for recording. I am so freaking gullible for crap like that. :(

Ditto......used it once or twice for recording and then dust collector! And it wasn't cheap.

Ditto......used it once or twice for recording and then dust collector! And it wasn't cheap.

Funny thing is I loaned it to my boss as he was going to a concert he wanted to record, then I never saw it again. Oh well. Just another brick in the wall I suppose! :)

Funny thing is I loaned it to my boss as he was going to a concert he wanted to record, then I never saw it again. Oh well. Just another brick in the wall I suppose! :)

Come to think of it, and it may sound a bit morose, but I remember pairing it [DATMAN] up with 2 self amplified speakers and played it at my mother's funeral. She loved show tunes and actually that little bugger sounded pretty darn GOOD! Talk about a FINAL CURTAIN CALL!!!!!!

Back