Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Also Amazon Fire Stick. (They're still keeping the money streams in the hands of the behemoths for now.) But at least this finally opens things up to those of us with AVRs and proper speakers rather than soundbars or Echo Studios.

Anybody in a position to try this out? Tidal ended its $4 for 4 months promotion a while ago, but now they have a 60-day free trial.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I may have to sign up for the free trial. I dropped Tidal a year ago in favor of Qobuz...but this might sway me back....

Tidal Debuts Dolby Atmos Music Support for Apple TV 4K
Thursday May 28, 2020 9:46 am PDT by Juli Clover
Music streaming service Tidal is bringing Dolby Atmos Music to Dolby Atmos-enabled devices like TVs, sound bars, speakers, and, notable for Apple users, the 4K Apple TV.
tidaldolbyatmos.jpg

Apple's 4K ‌Apple TV‌, released in 2017, supports Dolby Atmos, a feature that brings more immersive sound for content when the ‌Apple TV‌ is paired with a Dolby Atmos soundbar or receiver and speakers.
According to Dolby, Tidal support for Dolby Atmos is rolling out to compatible television streaming boxes as of today. Support is available for the 4K ‌Apple TV‌, 2nd-generation Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Cube, 3rd-generation Fire TV, Nvidia Shield TV and TV Pro (from 2019), and Dolby Atmos-enabled TVs from Sony and Philips.
To use the feature, ‌Apple TV‌ 4K owners will need a Dolby Atmos enabled sound system along with the updated Tidal app.
Tidal began rolling out Dolby Atmos support back in December for Android smartphones and tablets, and it is available for all Tidal HiFi subscribers. Tidal HiFi is Tidal's streaming tier with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, priced at $19.99 per month.
Music playback will default to Dolby Atmos if a Dolby Atmos mix and compatible device are available. Tidal has been adding Dolby Atmos music to its streaming service on a regular basis, and notable albums and songs with support include Ariana Grande's "7 rings," The Weeknd's "After Hours," and Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello's "Señorita."
Tidal's Dolby Atmos content can be found by selecting the "Available in Dolby Atmos" section from the Home screen or searching for Dolby Atmos. For new subscribers interested in Dolby Atmos Music, Tidal is offering an extended 60-day free trial.

Please somebody report on the quality of the Atmos mixes, I promise I'll buy me an Apple TV tomorrow if they are any good :LB

So far...so good 2 songs so far, yes, discrete or good ambiance in backs/rears...still working, so I'm bouncing between listening and working. Quality sounds good, bass a bit lacking...

Ordered a 4K Fire Stick. Right now, I'm running HDMI from my AVR to my TV (using it as a monitor only, basically).
Do I have to run HDMI back from the TV to the AVR?

I think that's only if you also have over-the-air broadcast TV and want to run TV sound back through your AVR?

Until there is some evidence of substantive content, count me skeptical.

I've been as skeptical as anybody, and will probably remain so as long as Dolby and UMG insist on keeping this streaming-only. Still, 2500 "songs" remixed by the likes of Greg Penny and Steve Genewick ain't nothing. Now, if you're looking for classical and/or "New Music" substance, I think you're mostly stuck with Sono Luminus and 2L so far. But at least you don't have to pay Tidal monthly in perpetuity to hear those.

I've been as skeptical as anybody, and will probably remain so as long as Dolby and UMG insist on keeping this streaming-only. Still, 2500 "songs" remixed by the likes of Greg Penny and Steve Genewick ain't nothing. Now, if you're looking for classical and/or "New Music" substance, I think you're mostly stuck with Sono Luminus and 2L so far. But at least you don't have to pay Tidal monthly in perpetuity to hear those.

For me, I hate having to pay Tidal or any service forever (now I'm carrying Tidal and Qobuz)...BUT BUT...Atmos mixes hitting a mainstream music service and in REAL ATMOS not fake...this could be a game changer!! Finally the major music providers are starting to stream multichannel and immersive. Pearl Jam last month and now Tidal...at 19.99/month if they keep putting out Atmos mixes, I'll support the cause.

Back