Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...playing "Senorita" and HOLY COW!!

Camila Cabello is front and center...Shawn Mendes sings in the back and centered!! When they sing together it fills the whole room.

56 tracks to go...and that's just the Pop playlist :cool:

47-pop.jpg

You really are, honest to goodness, hearing discrete (not in the fronts) activity in the surrounds and/or heights?

my wife, who is VERY critical with a lot of my surround music, turned and looked at me "I'm hearing instruments I've never heard before!"

All 7 of my speakers are lighting up with these songs and it's discrete...fronts, backs, sides!!

Wow this is excellent news! I have an Apple TV 4K I'll give it a try in the morning! Just downloaded the app to have a look. They have Tom Sawyer in Atmos you'll be pleased to know Baggy!

I tried it through my Fire Stick 4K expecting the Atmos stream to downmix to 7.1 or 5.1 DD, but it refuses to :(

Killer set of songs though! If this is legit, I'm gonna have to upgrade. I guess they found the multis to Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama"...

I tried it through my Fire Stick 4K expecting the Atmos stream to downmix to 7.1 or 5.1 DD, but it refuses to :(

Killer set of songs though! If this is legit, I'm gonna have to upgrade. I guess they found the multis to Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama"...

Make sure the app is updated...I had to update mine...was getting pcm 2.0 until I updated...

Couple of first impressions... There's a lot of content to go through, which is cool. Some tracks are really good. Intros from the rears and a good use of surround. And a nice balanced mix. And some interesting mixing choices. On Rufus - Tell Me Something Good the main vocals are in the rears! :eek: Riders On The Storm has thunder in the height channels which is a pretty cool effect.

But some tracks sound a little bland or a bit odd to me... I guess I need to give them a proper listen...

I compared Lyrnyd Skynrd - Gimme Three Steps with the 5.1 BDA, and the 5.1 sounds a bit better to me... Folsom Prison Blues sounds a bit like Johnny Cash on karaoke?!

And it all kinda sounds a bit compressed, maybe a temporary streaming setting? But still, this is excellent to finally be able to access all this Atmos stuff we've been hearing about! Just in time for the weekend... :cool:

Hi Eric,

Funny, I have just been chatting with you on the 'Quadraphonic And Surround Sound Audio' Facebook page.

I updated TV OS on my Apple TV 4k and am now getting now sound at all from any apps, receiver working fine with ROON and Satellite TV though.

Now, if you're looking for classical and/or "New Music" substance, I think you're mostly stuck with Sono Luminus and 2L so far. But at least you don't have to pay Tidal monthly in perpetuity to hear those.
Yup, I have most of those already.

You really are, honest to goodness, hearing discrete (not in the fronts) activity in the surrounds and/or heights?
Why are you using the term "discrete" instead of "immersive?" Unless the stuff is matrixed, all real multichannel is discrete, ain't it?

Got my Apple TV 4k outputting sound again after the software update. It's just outputting stereo to my Onkyo AVR with 5.1 setup. No Atmos capable system = no downmix to 5.1 ????

Yep, I'm having the same problem - I really don't see the logic in not allowing a 7.1/5.1 downmix.

I’ll try the Kodi Tidal app today to see it it plays these Atmos tracks.

What‘s the story on the Tidal 30 day trial? Is it fully functional?
Let me know if that works. The iPhone and Windows app don't work yet with atmos... and I don't wish to purchase another item to try this :)

You can stream music in Dolby on your Dolby Atmos compatible sound bars, TVs, and AVRs, in addition to your Dolby Atmos compatible Android mobile devices.
Compatible TV-connected devices include:

• Apple TV 4K (running tvOS 13 or later)
  • Fire TV (Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick 2016, Fire TV Gen 3 2017, Fire TV Cube 1st Gen or 2nd Gen)
  • Nvidia Shield TV and Shield TV Pro (2019 and newer models)
The updated TIDAL app is also available on Dolby Atmos enabled Android TVs from Sony and Philips.

Back