Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 1st gen fire cube with 6271/2501 and can't play atmos yet. I live in MD. It isn't a North America Thing.

Also, on my app for the cube, I can only get videos. There is no music section. This app is not user friendly for me. Even my phone app is confusing. I can't find settings to see what version I have on either app. Am I the only one frustrated by this? How do I find atmos music on the cube app? I found it on my phone app and make them all favorites so I can see them on my cube, but I can't even search for atmos on the cube.

I have 1st gen fire cube with 6271/2501 and can't play atmos yet. I live in MD. It isn't a North America Thing.

Also, on my app for the cube, I can only get videos. There is no music section. This app is not user friendly for me. Even my phone app is confusing. I can't find settings to see what version I have on either app. Am I the only one frustrated by this? How do I find atmos music on the cube app? I found it on my phone app and make them all favorites so I can see them on my cube, but I can't even search for atmos on the cube.
My solution...get rid of that cube thing...and replace with Apple TV 4k. :SB

No luck. 2.25.1 is the last version. There is no trace of tidal 2.26.1 on the internet.

It may be a local update. Hope It will be rolled out everywhere.
I had a quick look too and came up with this site:
https://pypi.org/project/tidal-dl/I've no idea if it's relevant, just the Tidal Music Downloader title threw me, as to what this could be.
I'm sure there is an IT expert who can say what is going on here.
Sorry if it's a wild goose chase!!

I had a quick look too and came up with this site:
https://pypi.org/project/tidal-dl/I've no idea if it's relevant, just the Tidal Music Downloader title threw me, as to what this could be.
I'm sure there is an IT expert who can say what is going on here.
Sorry if it's a wild goose chase!!

This is a tool to grab files from Tidal, most likely in .flac format so probably not useful strictly speaking for Atmos playback

After comparing the Atmos mixes for “Welcome To To The Jungle” and “Sweet Child Of Mine” to the Elliot Scheiner mix on the box set, the latter blows the Atmos mix away ... so much more discreet (it’s as if the Atmos mix did not have access to the multitrack tapes), and the addition of 6 extra channels (for me - 2 surrounds and 4 height) of a somewhat muddied mix (even if immersive) doesn’t improve the 5.1 mix at all. And I’m a fan of Atmos. There’s likely some types of songs it’s overkill on and hard charging rock without a lot of extra instrumentation going on may not be where Atmos shines.

After comparing the Atmos mixes for “Welcome To To The Jungle” and “Sweet Child Of Mine” to the Elliot Scheiner mix on the box set, the latter blows the Atmos mix away ... so much more discreet (it’s as if the Atmos mix did not have access to the multitrack tapes), and the addition of 6 extra channels (for me - 2 surrounds and 4 height) of a somewhat muddied mix (even if immersive) doesn’t improve the 5.1 mix at all. And I’m a fan of Atmos. There’s likely some types of songs it’s overkill on and hard charging rock without a lot of extra instrumentation going on may not be where Atmos shines.
I'm waiting for a fire tv 4k stick to arrive to try out Tidal's Atmos, but I have to say I feel the same way when comparing Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 mix of REM's "Automatic for the People" to the 2017 Atmos mix. I wasn't sure if I favored the Scheiner mix because of familiarity, but then in another forum here a link was posted to Mix Magazine's Dolby Atmos special issue. In it, they revealed that "Automatic for the People" was the very first Atmos mix ever made by the mixer and that a lot of the Tidal tracks were made by a team that was just trying to crank out Atmos mixes for Dolby. I would imagine that there is a learning curve and that someone like Scheiner at the top of their game for 5.1 is going to probably create a superior mix to someone just learning how to mix in Atmos.

The list of available tracks seems to be confusing in Tidal. I think the Sweet Child Of Mine wasn't in any of the playlists or even in the separate track list (or then I just missed that). Inspired by this did a quick try and found also Elton John - Rocket man in Atmos (very good mix btw). So seems that finding all the available Atmos tracks requires quite a bit of detective work until they get the search or UI in a better shape.

Elton John - Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time)

Last edited:
The list of available tracks seems to be confusing in Tidal. I think the Sweet Child Of Mine wasn't in any of the playlists or even in the separate track list (or then I just missed that). Inspired by this did a quick try and found also Elton John - Rocket man in Atmos (very good mix btw). So seems that finding all the available Atmos tracks requires quite a bit of detective work until they get the search or UI in a better shape.

Elton John - Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time)
It's very frustrating trying to find the ATMOS stuff in Tidal. The ATMOS playlists are interesting but there doesn't seem to be any links to the actual albums and I normally listen to albums rather than just a few tracks. I would prefer just a list of the albums that are available in ATMOS preferably selectable by genre so I don't have to wade through all the pop stuff. I tried searching by album title but the results didn't seem to show if an ATMOS option was available.

The sound was OK on the samples that I did try but I won't be subscribing until I can find out easily what is available.

It's very frustrating trying to find the ATMOS stuff in Tidal. The ATMOS playlists are interesting but there doesn't seem to be any links to the actual albums and I normally listen to albums rather than just a few tracks. I would prefer just a list of the albums that are available in ATMOS preferably selectable by genre so I don't have to wade through all the pop stuff. I tried searching by album title but the results didn't seem to show if an ATMOS option was available.

The sound was OK on the samples that I did try but I won't be subscribing until I can find out easily what is available.
The best link so far to browse the complete albums (under now available header):

Try the TIDAL Web Player

Back