Simple Atmos Music Questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. The original dts Neo did not even modify the front channels at all, simply adding extracted info to the rears, This obviously is not any kind of real surround, but also changes the track’s overall content and balance. Not for me.
Well there is always 7 channel stereo!! :SB

Atmos will detect your speaker set up based on how many you have told your AVR you have. So for example, I have 7.1 setup. When I play Atmos mixes, the traditional 4 overhead channels (the .4 of 7.1.4) are mixed back into the 7 channels. So I am hearing 7 of 11 discrete channels of music. But it is the "Atmos mix" it's just being re-channel into the 7 existing speakers.
I Think your AVR will play objects in the z-axis at z-Level=0 but with the correct x and y informations. (with 7+x.1.0 setup), so there wont't be a discrete input.

Because, it ist still possible to have atmos mixes without the use of height speakers with the advantages of the object based sound sources.

I Think your AVR will play objects in the z-axis at z-Level=0 but with the correct x and y informations. (with 7+x.1.0 setup), so there wont't be a discrete input.

Because, it ist still possible to have atmos mixes without the use of height speakers with the advantages of the object based sound sources.

On blu-ray, if you aren't set up for Atmos, it simply defaults to the 7.1 container. Are you saying something different?

If you don't have height speakers you don't get Atmos from my understanding.

I got it on my ONYO TX-NR656 with 7.1 setup.

Attachments

• Image_xy.jpeg
    Image_xy.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 129
On blu-ray, if you aren't set up for Atmos, it simply defaults to the 7.1 container. Are you saying something different?

You still get Atmos even without the height speakers. It just "mixes down" into 7.1 for lack of a better term.

That isn't Atmos from my understanding. That is the 7.1 "bed".
Atmos isnt equal to height speakers! Atmos ist an objectbases audio format. That means you can move sound sources easily in a room. An it makes sense to ad anothet layer (height speakers) to get a bigger benefit from these audio objects.

Atmos isnt equal to height speakers! Atmos ist an objectbases audio format. That means you can move sound sources easily in a room. An it makes sense to ad anothet layer (height speakers) to get a bigger benefit from these audio objects.

I was confusing the downmix option for non-atmos processors vs Atmos processing to 5.1/7.1 setups, with Atmos material. Thanks.

So the streaming variety of Atmos is the lossy DD+ at this point, correct?

So if you are comparing the REM blu-ray mix and the streaming version, you would obviously take that into consideration? I didn't see that mentioned in the couple of comparisons I read here.

So if you are comparing the REM blu-ray mix and the streaming version, you would obviously take that into consideration? I didn't see that mentioned in the couple of comparisons I read here.
Correct, bitrate is much lower then lossless Atmos.
If the Atmos mix is exact the same (i think it is) the difference you may hear comes from the non-lossless compression and the lower bitrate.

Right, any explanation I am giving is just a simplified one, Atmos can played back from a range of speaker outputs from 2.0 all the way to 11.1.4

EDIT: I type too fast for my own good sometime Atmos is lossless on Dolby TrueHD...lossy over Dolby Digital+ ...more soon...

Last edited:
Dolby Atmos® is an immersive audio format that can be delivered via multiple audio codecs including Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD (but NOT Dolby Digital). Blu-ray Discs deliver Dolby Atmos using Dolby TrueHD (with Dolby Digital Plus as an available alternative), and broadcast and streaming services deliver Dolby Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus. In order to maintain compatibility with millions of devices in consumer homes, Dolby Atmos in these codecs is implemented as a backwards-compatible extension. Dolby Atmos data is hidden within the bitstream and can be decoded by a Dolby Atmos-compatible A/V Receiver, soundbar or television. Non-Dolby Atmos capable devices will decode a 5.1-ch or 7.1-ch version from the Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD bitstreams.

Last edited:
Atmos data on Ultra HD Blu-ray is actually an extension to TrueHD that is folded into the bitstream to maintain backwards compatibility. Here’s how that works: If you play a disc with an Atmos soundtrack, the Atmos extension data is decoded by an Atmos-compatible receiver. If your receiver isn’t Atmos compatible, the extension data is ignored and the soundtrack is decoded as regular Dolby TrueHD.

so the KEY to all of this...is the system Atmos compatible or not Atmos compatible??

If not compatible, then you get the Dolby True HD or DD +
If compatible, then you get Dolby Atmos

so the KEY to all of this...is the system Atmos compatible or not Atmos compatible??

If not compatible, then you get the Dolby True HD or DD +
If compatible, then you get Dolby Atmos
Yes, i think we want to say the same but in different threads. I wrote the same in the other Tidal/Atmos thread :)

Meanwhile Dolby Atmos Home supports up to 34 Speakers:eek:

Back