DVD/DTS Poll Parsons, Alan - On Air [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Alan Parsons - ON AIR

• Total voters
1. Seal “Amazing”
3. Lady Gaga “Poker Face”
4. James Blunt “You’re Beautiful”
5. Jason Derulo “In My Head”
6. Nikka Costa “Chase The Thrill”
7. Sting “Every Breath You Take”
8. The Doobie Brothers “Long Train Runnin’”
9. Creedence Clearwater Revival “Have You Ever Seen The Rain?”
10. Sheryl Crow “Everyday Is A Winding Road”
11. Fine Young Cannibals “She Drives Me Crazy”
12. Alanis Morissette “Ironic”
13. Alex Max Band “Tonight”
14. Yes “Owner Of A Lonely Heart“
15. Tears For Fears “Shout”

16. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart “Violin Concerto K 218”
17. Ludwig van Beethoven “Symphony No. 5”
18. Hector Berlioz “Symphonie Fantastique”
19. Antonín Dvorák “Symphony No. 9”
20. Ludwig van Beethoven “Symphony No. 9”
21. Edvard Grieg “Peer Gynt Suite No. 1”
22. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky “Eugene Onegin” Polonaise
23. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky “Eugene Onegin” Waltz
24. Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel “Pictures at an Exhibition” Baba-Yaga
25. Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel “Pictures at an Exhibition” Great Gate of Kiev

that's the list of tracks from MB Signature Sound DVD-A.
i wish someone will issue "Pendulum" CCR if album was mixed into surround.

The MB disc is a DVD-V set, 2 discs, one popular music, one classical. Any DVD-A's out there were created by fans from the DVD-V's.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16511

>>On Air, while not his best effort<<

It's better than STEREOTOMY, which is unlistenable due to the Ambisonic UHJ (BHJ) encoding.

Stereotomy comes to life when you make a surround version based on the UHJ encoding.
OTOH it's strange you call it unlistenable while a reviewer back then called it the best sounding album he ever heard...... LOL !

Stereotomy comes to life when you make a surround version based on the UHJ encoding.
OTOH it's strange you call it unlistenable while a reviewer back then called it the best sounding album he ever heard...... LOL !

I can confirm that, listening to your conversion now :).

k3rucm.jpg

The MB disc is a DVD-V set, 2 discs, one popular music, one classical. Any DVD-A's out there were created by fans from the DVD-V's.

i have those in flac on HD for quite a long time. don't remember where from i got them, maybe 'noid.
is this stream on MB Signature Sound are DTS or DD?

I can confirm that, listening to your conversion now :).

k3rucm.jpg

Do you happen to know if all the Alan Parson Stereotomy RBCDs are UHJ encoded (including the EU remaster). My Meridian decodes UHJ ambisonics and I would be most interested in this title. Which RBCD do you have, Jan?

Do you happen to know if all the Alan Parson Stereotomy RBCDs are UHJ encoded (including the EU remaster). My Meridian decodes UHJ ambisonics and I would be most interested in this title. Which RBCD do you have, Jan?

I'm sorry no don't know that,I guess Eye of Horus can tell you that. I have the upmix EoH made of the cd (or whatever the source was, I tagged it as dvd-audio and normally there's a reason for that :violin), my amp does not support uhj encoded stuff and things like that :)

Here's a site with lots of information about the stuff.

Thank you Jan for taking the time to post your message to me. I know I have Stereotomy among my RBCDs but since I'm one of those who have RBCDs all over the house, I will have to do a "treasure hunt."

If not, I'll just repurchase it since all subsequent copies should technically be UHJ encoded.

Thank you Jan for taking the time to post your message to me. I know I have Stereotomy among my RBCDs but since I'm one of those who have RBCDs all over the house, I will have to do a "treasure hunt."

If not, I'll just repurchase it since all subsequent copies should technically be UHJ encoded.

My pleasure, hope it was useful info. My house is also full of discs, a pain if you're looking for one in particular and can't find it :howl, that's why I store everything on hdd and (try) to tag and organise the stuff better than I do with my physical discs (and even that goes wrong sometimes :friday:).

I'm really enjoying this. To me, this sounds as good as Eye in The Sky or Tales Of Mystery And Imagination (the only other Alan Parsons albums I've heard in full!) There are no hits that I know of, there are a few songs I don't care for (as on those other albums), and it's a little more mellow than Eye In The Sky, but the songs are very contagious (in a good way) and the musicianship is excellent. I like concept albums, so that's a bonus. The fidelity reminds me of Eye In The Sky, everything crystal clear and hitting all the right frequencies, leaving none of your stereocilia unstimulated. The surround mix is tasteful, discrete, and intermittently active (planes and rockets and such flying around). I'm giving this an 8.5 (so I'll round up to 9). I love discovering great music! (Especially in surround;))

(Oh, I've heard "A Valid Path", too... it doesn't do much for me :( )

(One more thing... when the second "Blue Blue Sky" reaches that string crescendo towards the end, and then the low rumbling bass fades in... pure sonic bliss(y))

Discogs shows 2 seperate releases. One in 1996 and the other 2001. I have the latter. It definitely has a center channel and an LFE channel.
Maybe the 1996 release is different?

Discogs shows 2 seperate releases. One in 1996 and the other 2001. I have the latter. It definitely has a center channel and an LFE channel.
Maybe the 1996 release is different?
I have the dts entertainment Alan Parsons On Air disc (7 1021-54414-2 9.) Case says 2001 DTS, INC. Disc says "FOR DTS-CAPABLE 5.1 SOUND SYSTEMS with balloons on disc. Sounds quite good.

Reactions: GOS
With the possible exception of Steven Wilson, no one does surround sound music better than Alan Parsons.

Like all of Parsons's solo efforts, the songwriting is uneven. Luckily there are more hits than misses here. But the real star of the show is the surround sound mix. Despite being limited to older DTS technology, it holds up surprisingly well even against newer recordings. The effect is definitely noticeable, but never showy. On Air shows what surround sound music can be in the hands of a master: Expansive, immersive, and occasionally even breathtaking.

With the possible exception of Steven Wilson, no one does surround sound music better than Alan Parsons.

Like all of Parsons's solo efforts, the songwriting is uneven. Luckily there are more hits than misses here. But the real star of the show is the surround sound mix. Despite being limited to older DTS technology, it holds up surprisingly well even against newer recordings. The effect is definitely noticeable, but never showy. On Air shows what surround sound music can be in the hands of a master: Expansive, immersive, and occasionally even breathtaking.
Great review @thalter !
Welcome to the QQ forum.....

I quite agree about "On Air" - thanks for reminding me. I've never come across a way (that has worked for me) to rip those DTS Cd's on a Mac but I'm motivated to look into it again remembering my past enjoyment of On Air. Has anyone been successful at doing this?

I'm sorry no don't know that,I guess Eye of Horus can tell you that. I have the upmix EoH made of the cd (or whatever the source was, I tagged it as dvd-audio and normally there's a reason for that :violin), my amp does not support uhj encoded stuff and things like that :)

As far as I’m aware, only Stereotomy had UHJ encoding apart from track 5, which was laid down before the ambisonics team arrived on site.

I’m in the same position as you with a Meridian DSP that can decode UHJ and B-format (horizontal).

(Nb. On a G61, full unmatrixed B-format is handled through the MA1 inputs (L=W, R=X & C=Y). I think other G series boxes do the same.)

I quite agree about "On Air" - thanks for reminding me. I've never come across a way (that has worked for me) to rip those DTS Cd's on a Mac but I'm motivated to look into it again remembering my past enjoyment of On Air. Has anyone been successful at doing this?

DTS CDs are basically the same as a regular CD. The dts is manipulated within the standard two channel pcm tracks.

Have you tried ripping it the same way you would a normal CD? Send that wav/flac to your DTS processor?

I've had these DTS Surround disks a long time and hadn't listened to them in years. This thread just got me to dig them out and have another listen. I wasn't aware that they were actually 2 channel CD's magically expanded to discrete multichannel. But now it's easy to hear the 44.1 / 16 bit effect. AP's mixes twirl them in a nice fashion and I was impressed in the beginning but now I think I'll be fine just going on without them :cool: I used to like playing the DTS of Sting's Fields of Gold too. I'd like to get my hands on a DSD version of that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back