Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocket Man - Elton John... Fairly similar approach to the 5.1 mix, which ain't bad!... You get a little more sense of the heights towards the end of the track...

iss-4k1-620x350.png

Anyone listening on an Apple TV - it's pretty cool to [menu button] all the way out to the (Space) screen saver whilst listening to this song... 🚀

Go check out the playlist Atmos for Androids. It's all electronic music, but much of it is very listenable IMO. May not be your cup of tea (not exactly mine either), but several of those tracks have demo worthy mixes. 'Digging a Hole' is a pretty crazy track, but I also liked Solid Gold & Vertical. Fritz Hilpert of Kraftwerk did the Atmos mix for every track in the playlist.

I'm afraid you are not wrong Will.
But I just enjoy the music....
Nite nite
The major difference for the Skynyrd 4 track EP is that on the southern Surroundings Blu-Ray they use a live version of Sweet Home Alabama, the new Tidal uses a studio version. The track time shown for it on the Tidal app is for the one on the Blu-Ray the correct time is 6:39? the actual time is 4:45
AND THEY USED A PICTURE of the After the plane crash band instead of the street Survivors era band, with Steve Gaines

Adam Lambert
Velvet

All these new acts I've never heard of, getting past my usual, though shall not pass, defence.
Put Atmos in the mix and it's amazing what I will listen to now!! :)

Whoa what happened there!!
Brett Kissel's Drink About Me, just blasted me off my seat as the volume is normal setting.. :unsure: :unsure:

Another great mix.

Hang on it's not Atmos its Dolby Surround!!
How did that get played next?

Tidal must keep playing tracks once the Atmos selection has ceased and chooses similar tunes in Dolby Surround.

Last edited:
The major difference for the Skynyrd 4 track EP is that on the southern Surroundings Blu-Ray they use a live version of Sweet Home Alabama, the new Tidal uses a studio version.

Not the studio version, but a live one from Second Helping.
I’ve heard the multitrack tape(s) for the original were lost, but can’t find anything about this online.

Adam Lambert
Velvet

All these new acts I've never heard of, getting past my usual, though shall not pass, defence.
Put Atmos in the mix and it's amazing what I will listen to now!! :)

Whoa what happened there!!
Brett Kissel's Drink About Me, just blasted me off my seat as the volume is normal setting.. :unsure: :unsure:

Another great mix.

Hang on it's not Atmos its Dolby Surround!!
How did that get played next?

Tidal must keep playing tracks once the Atmos selection has ceased and chooses similar tunes in Dolby Surround.
That happened to me as well stops you from nodding off or at least wakes you rapidly if you do 😴😲

Spent last night listening to a bunch of the playlists.

The mixing on the soul playlist is very good. The temptations "Just my imagination" sounds great with nice spacing of the strings, etc.

Out of all the playlists, the classic rock tracks were the most inconsistent. Lunatic Fringe and the Band tracks (listed as remixed by Mills Logan) sounded great to my ears. He also mixed Superbad, so his tracks are some to check out. Steve Winwood's - Higher Love has the percussion nicely spaced.

I thought the Allman brothers and Rush's Tom Sawyer sounded too anchored to the front, and Tom Sawyer was a bit too echoey.

As someone else mentioned, Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do" is a nice mix EXCEPT that the guiro is locked in my back right back ceiling speaker and it is very annoying.

Also frustrating to find any atmos tracks not in the currated playlists. I have been absolutely unable to find Elton John's Rocketman in Atmos.

Last edited:
The mastering on the soul playlist is very good.

Can we please stop with saying “mastering”?

Just because everyone at Atmos is afraid to call them what they are doesn’t mean we have to perpetuate the dishonesty. “Mastering” is used to describe using a different source tape or playing with the EQ. Except for a few fakes, these are MIXES from the original multitrack sources. Probably “remix” is more apt, but today that carries an unwanted connotation of changed or added content.

Can we please stop with saying “mastering”?

Just because everyone at Atmos is afraid to call them what they are doesn’t mean we have to perpetuate the dishonesty. “Mastering” is used to describe using a different source tape or playing with the EQ. Except for a few fakes, these are MIXES from the original multitrack sources. Probably “remix” is more apt, but today that carries an unwanted connotation of changed or added content.
Sorry, I am aware of the difference and have been trying to say mixing but did not catch myself there. Throughout the rest of the post I did say mixing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back