Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those curious QQ'ers: Steel Woole = foragingrhino, so you know the info is REAL. He's been trying to get this thing out for a few years, as you all know. He's just as happy to see it scheduled as we are!

:QQlove
I was one of the curious. And I just came VERY close to spending stupid money for The Captain and Me DVDA. I guess good things really do come to those who wait!

I was one of the curious. And I just came VERY close to spending stupid money for The Captain and Me DVDA. I guess good things really do come to those who wait!

Don't assume the quad we're getting is going to be better than the 5.1 DVD-A. We haven't heard it yet. In a few months you may be kicking yourself for missing out on the DVD-A, which may go UP in value after the quadio is released.

💲
Don't assume the quad we're getting is going to be better than the 5.1 DVD-A. We haven't heard it yet. In a few months you may be kicking yourself for missing out on the DVD-A, which may go UP in value after the quadio is released.
Going by what others here have said who have already heard these quads, I don't think this will be a disappointment. I'd certainly like to have the 5.1, but there comes a certain price point where one starts to question his sanity.💲

Flabbergasted. I long ago decided that this would not happen. (But I did hold out that if there are an infinite number of universes, this would be released in one of those. Of course, the absurdity in the infinity concept is that the release would occur not just in one, but in an infinite number of universes, just not ours. It's worth noting that if there are an infinite number of universes anything even remotely possible occurs an infinite number of times. So then, there is not just one universe in which we all go through the day wearing a chicken costume but an infinite number of chicken costume alternative universes. But I digress, back to our regularly scheduled programming...) So happy this is getting released, can't wait to preorder.

But we're getting 4 QUAD BD~As ..... probably not for a whole lot of money if the Chicago Quadio boxset was any indication. Whether they sound better than Warner's early 00 DVD~As ........ we'll soon find out.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an assumption that if Rhino/Warner is accessing the 15 ips Master QUAD Tapes to replicate this QUADIO boxset to believe that it should sound better than those commercially duplicated 7 1/2 ips QUAD Open Reels....that is, providing those masters are in pristine condition.

If done correctly, it will certainly exceed the resolution of all previous Doobie Brother reissues.

It’s not.

Hard to believe I once thought those 7-1/2 ips commercial tapes sounded great. Listening today, they really don’t. The 1/2” 15 ips masters with double the speed, track width, professional hardware and one generation removed are light years better. There really is no comparison at all.

Oddly I once had a crack at a few of these in 1981. Someone in L.A. had gotten ahold of several of the Warner masters and offered them to me. Since I wasn’t rich and had no access to 1/2” equipment I passed, but I wish I had at least taken a look at them. I always assumed they were “duping masters”, not originals, but now I doubt there was even such a thing for tapes made in such low quantities. Even had they been dupes they still would have been one generation away from the master and by far the best quality available at the time.

I got up late today, Jonathan, and realized my error and corrected it. So THERE!

Wait, you actually were able to sleep last night with this news?

Just buy! buy! buy! (lots more Quads out there for the Rhino treatment)

The DBs are riding into town on four huge Rhinos

🦏🦏🦏🦏

We really need some quadranews about now. I've been feeling a little down from the cv-19 ordeal and depressed about the protests turning violent on my corner as well. It's been bad times.

But a big quad box, and Nov. election, and a new start at the end of the year, things can get better.

If you can get the dvd-a at the right price, don't hesitate. It is one of my go to discs and likely will remain so even after the Quadio is in my hands :SB

I've never considered dumping my DVD-A, too emotionally attached ( why it's my avatar here ! )...the night my son hooked up my HT/5.1 setup, I said out loud how I wished The Captain And Me was mixed for surround. Next day at work, online shopping when my jaw hit the floor. There in the Amazon Marketplace was a sealed copy for $100.00. It arrived in mint condition, no damage to the case in shipment. That was 11 years ago right around now. I've been isolating alone since mid-March...I needed some good news ! Thank you @Steel Woole !

Ahhhh, the sweet rare sound of those airy aural masterpieces at 24/192 :love:
Please keep on track here, we're talkin' the Doobie Brothers now! :SG

And don't YOU forget it PUPSTER

See the source image

TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS .......LABOR DAY 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back