Dr. AIX and PS Audio's Paul McGowan: Why Stereo vs. Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd forgotten about this:
Bob Clearmountain, another superstar engineer and mixer, works out of his personal studio in my neighborhood. Every project that he mixes includes a 5.1 surround version as well as the standard stereo mix.

That same revelation was the subject of a thread that @dr. simple started a couple of years ago:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...rmountain-talks-surround-and-much-more.25182/
God forbid I should advocate breaking the law. But if the record companies don't want to do anything with them, then (as Henry II might put it)...will no one leak these tantalizing mixes?

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about this:

That same revelation was the subject of a thread that @dr. simple started a couple of years ago:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...rmountain-talks-surround-and-much-more.25182/
God forbid I should advocate breaking the law. But if the record companies don't want to do anything with them, then (as Henry II might put it)...will no one leak these tantalizing mixes?

Simply amazing that someone of Bob Clearmountain's notoriety and clout who we all know is an expert remix engineer couldn't persuade the artists and labels to at least consider releasing his 'celebrated' back log of in the can 5.1 remixes for release....and we all know [or should] that he's worked for the who's who of
A list artists.

List of Bob Clearmountain's recording/producing/remixing credits: He actually started doing the discrete surround mixes for his projects from approximately 2000~Present!

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bob_clearmountain/credits/

Last edited:
Fine but so what else is new? Is anything changing?
Nothing is changing but I at least find it interesting in a very positive way to learn that Paul McGowan is a fan of surround music. I was also happy to see Dr. Waldrep point out something to his readers that all of us on this forum already know: there is no shortage of music available for purchase or download in surround. Every little bit helps to potentially expand the niche.

Nothing is changing but I at least find it interesting in a very positive way to learn that Paul McGowan is a fan of surround music.
So I found out when Paul and I talked about it at RMAF in 2018.
I was also happy to see Dr. Waldrep point out something to his readers that all of us on this forum already know: there is no shortage of music available for purchase or download in surround.
Yes, Mark has been a stalwart advocate but I question whether "there is no shortage of music available for purchase or download in surround." I've seen a reduction in the number of new releases and an increase in the number of labels that have withdrawn from the market.
Every little bit helps to potentially expand the niche.
Amen.

I've seen a reduction in the number of new releases and an increase in the number of labels that have withdrawn from the market.

Yep. Over the past year, there's been a marked decrease in SACDs showing up in the weekly "new releases" feature at Presto Classical, for example. DG's sporadic reissue program has been slightly encouraging, but none of the other biggies are really following suit. (Has Decca done anything besides Tannhauser? Anyway, they're just another branch of UMG.) Naxos has left the field, as has Harmonia Mundi, I think. So that leaves Pentatone, BIS, Sono Luminus, 2L, Dutton, Ondine, Reference, and Channel Classics. Berlin, LSO, and Seattle (sometimes). Not sure about SFS Media. Who else: is Challenge still doing anything? Chandos?

Last edited:
Yep. Over the past year, there's been a marked decrease in SACDs showing up in the weekly "new releases" feature at Presto Classical, for example. DG's sporadic reissue program has been slightly encouraging, but none of the other biggies are really following suit. (Has Decca done anything besides Tannhauser? Anyway, they're just another branch of UMG.) Naxos has left the field, as has Harmonia Mundi, I think. So that leaves Pentatone, BIS, Sono Luminus, 2L, Dutton, Ondine, Reference, and Channel Classics. Berlin, LSO, and Seattle (sometimes). Who else: is Challenge still doing anything? Chandos?

I just read somewhere that even Pentatone is reducing their multi~ch SACD output due to poor sales and has been releasing new product in RBCD.

Challenge did release this disc on June 12:

61QwWGL1GUL._SL1200_.jpg
617txE3XOeL._SL1200_.jpg

Simply amazing that someone of Bob Clearmountain's notoriety and clout who we all know is an expert remix engineer couldn't persuade the artists and labels to at least consider releasing his 'celebrated' back log of in the can 5.1 remixes for release....and we all know [or should] that he's worked for the who's who of
A list artists.

List of Bob Clearmountain's recording/producing/remixing credits: He actually started doing the discrete surround mixes for his projects from approximately 2000~Present!

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bob_clearmountain/credits/

That's quite a list of credits he has from 2000-present. Would certainly be nice have all of those released in surround!

The Multichannel DSD downloads keep coming.
Now over 1,250 at NativeDSD Music. Including over 230 not available on SACD.
https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse#channel=multi
In addition to continuing to record many of Channel Classics in multichannel, NativeDSD supports downloads in multichannel from CC as well as for quite a few other labels who offer physical discs only as CDs. Some of these do not even offer those same multichannel downloads on their own websites!!

Yes, Jared and his team are real heroes.

In addition to continuing to record many of Channel Classics in multichannel, NativeDSD supports downloads in multichannel from CC as well as for quite a few other labels who offer physical discs only as CDs. Some of these do not even offer those same multichannel downloads on their own websites!!

Yes, Jared and his team are real heroes.

I do appreciate what Native DSD is doing!!

What do we need to do to get more rock genre stuff there?? Only 1 album which contains 3 songs appears for those genres. @bmoura
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 3.40.30 PM.png

Back