Technics SH 3434 sans its power transformer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the member "odru" ??

I can remake this transformer but need the output current specifications...(it will be much more expensive to ship out the dead one for disassembly)

Mayday!! Mayday!

Hi. Sorry for late reply. The transformer was made specially for me by a local norwegian firm. The primaty is for 220-240 vac, and I do not know the va for each secondary output. But it was made with sufficient margins. Being a specially made transformer it did not come cheap. If I remember correctly I paid about NOK 1000,- for it.

Hi. Sorry for late reply. The transformer was made specially for me by a local norwegian firm. The primaty is for 220-240 vac, and I do not know the va for each secondary output. But it was made with sufficient margins. Being a specially made transformer it did not come cheap. If I remember correctly I paid about NOK 1000,- for it.

Odru, would you be willing to post the contact info for where you had your transformeer rebuilt, please? I have a SH3434 sitting on a shelf going to waste and at that price, plus shipping would be okay with me. The last price quote I had was $1695 US. The only difference I would need is a 120 volt primary.

And thank you for getting back to us.

Odru, would you be willing to post the contact info for where you had your transformeer rebuilt, please? I have a SH3434 sitting on a shelf going to waste and at that price, plus shipping would be okay with me. The last price quote I had was $1695 US. The only difference I would need is a 120 volt primary.

And thank you for getting back to us.

Hi. The company that made it was Noratel. I will try to check if I can dig up some more information. After all it was some years ago. Thanks for the patience!

I have what has been described here on the Internet, the SUPER rarest Technics scope of all, an SH 3434View attachment 13116 Visual Control Center. Problem is, there isn't a power transformer inside to make it function! Someone desecrated it (extremely carefully I might add) literally ripping one of its hearts out (the other obviously being the scope tube) how dare they do that to such a rare item, what knuckleheads. Now, being an electronics buff/hobbyist since the early 70's, can I safely assume that taking one out of a SH 3433 that I can find and use for parts will hopefully resurrect it to its former glory? Would they they possibly have the same exact power tranny specs? I would love to hear from somebody about the quandary I'm in with this very excellent piece of quad history. I've NEVER seen one for sale on ebay since joining in 2001. I'm searching my picture files today for a picture I took of a copy of the schematic that I found folded up inside of it with a bunch of notes written all over. Will post a pic when I finally find it, have loads of pics to go through on this.
Hi
Nice still open this post :)
I did get also a SH3433 and the transformer is not gone but primary side is broken.
did you even fix this problem.
Or do you have a service manual?
Many Thanks and regards
Frank

Hi
Nice still open this post :)
I did get also a SH3433 and the transformer is not gone but primary side is broken.
did you even fix this problem.
Or do you have a service manual?
Many Thanks and regards
Frank
Hello @frooni
Welcome to the QQ forum :)

Hi , this appears to be a classical problem in the SH-3433. The reason is: the primary is made for 100V AC (Japan) and not for 110 or 120V so it died by now in most cases. The original number is SLTA5W1-A but that brings you nowhere. You can replace the transformer by one from Hammond Manufacturing type 260E. It just fits in the compartment. The primary is universal (100-120-240V AC) and the secondary windings produce 6.3V 5V and 450V. The original transformer used 4.5V for the light bulbs but they can take the 5V with ease. The CRT functions perfectly with 450V instead of the original 440V. Only in this case you have to add a additional 40V and an additional 24V transformer. Those voltages are only used for plate potential regulation so a small transformer will do. There is enough space to fit them in.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 80
And here the schematics and adjustments :dance

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 93
  • schematics.jpg
    schematics.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 81
It is amazing how many devices intended for northern Japan make their way to the US market. I have had several.

Northern Japan has 100 V 50 Hz. Southern Japan has 120 V 60 Hz.

The first things I got this way were two electrostatic air cleaners. The motors of both burned out by seizing. I sent one back under warranty and they sent me another one which burned out in the same way. I noticed the 100 V spec on the nameplate, and the warranty guy said that was just the voltage range. He didn't know they were for a lower voltage in Japan.

The best way to deal with this is to get as transformer that takes 120 volts and puts out 100 V. I have a Variac with a 100 V tap.

Back