Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading over his response again, he obviously doesn't have any idea how a Firestick 4K works sadly.

Also, he didn't understand what my analog multichannel preamps are.

I will follow up with him. I don't think it is going to work. I think when the product mentions Atmos in the literature, it just means pass through.
I read that and looking at the website, it is just passing the Atmos through to a processor that can decode the meta data. The Essence Evolve DAC itself won't decode Atmos.

I read that and looking at the website, it is just passing the Atmos through to a processor that can decode the meta data. The Essence Evolve DAC itself won't decode Atmos.

He needs to change the wording in the literature. It specifically says it decodes blu-ray formats TruHD, DTS MA, and Atmos.

When I first checked it out I was hoping it decoded them and sent it out as PCM over analogs, but after further review, this doesn't seem to be the case.

It would still be pretty cool in a PC setup outputting standard multichannel PCM and Kal's review said the sound quality beats his $2000 processor.

He needs to change the wording in the literature. It specifically says it decodes blu-ray formats TruHD, DTS MA, and Atmos.

When I first checked it out I was hoping it decoded them and sent it out as PCM over analogs, but after further review, this doesn't seem to be the case.

It would still be pretty cool in a PC setup outputting standard multichannel PCM and Kal's review said the sound quality beats his $2000 processor.

For sure!! Definitely more clarity needed.

IMO most DAC's of recent years (past 5 or so) do a fantastic job with the d/a conversion. I think thre is way too much snake oil with DAC's costing thousands of dollars.

OK, now that we are at 31 pages......I have a question.

I have an opportunity now to bring my Fire stick 4k down to my stereo room. To get Atmos, is it best to plut it into my 4K TV, or can I go direct to the back of my Denon Atmos receiver?? Sure, I can route it to my 4K TV first, but then I wonder about settings within my TV to get the right combination to get Atmos piping out of my AVR. Or maybe there are no special settings....

Yes, of course, my TV is plugged via HDMI to my AVR.

I have an opportunity now to bring my Fire stick 4k down to my stereo room. To get Atmos, is it best to plut it into my 4K TV, or can I go direct to the back of my Denon Atmos receiver?? Sure, I can route it to my 4K TV first, but then I wonder about settings within my TV to get the right combination to get Atmos piping out of my AVR. Or maybe there are no special settings....

I have my Fire 4K stick plugged into my AVR and would assume that's the best arrangement. If you plug into your TV you'll have to make sure ARC is working properly, etc.

Direct to you AVR is the way

I go direct to the AVR. The fewer steps involved the less chance for error I would think.

Direct to AVR 99% of the time the way to go ... BUT ... cool test to see what happens if you go to the tv, as long as the tv has eARC, should work...

Reactions: GOS

Go straight into the Denon Cleaner sound

There are several available on eBay it seems.
Wow, they seem to be sold out in many places. I bought mine from Target a couple of weeks ago, but they are now sold out. So is Best Buy. I wonder if an upgrade is imminent or this was caused by a COVID-related shutdown in China.

So I did a comparison of Rocketman in Atmos, remixed at Dolby Burbank this room is beyond hallucinatory excellent spatially but from a JBL horn waterfall plot time smearing and harshness is not very good, hard to seat through a movie premiere there due to fatigue. Certainly way harsher than the PMC fitted Capitol Studio C whose ATMOS mixes are excellent and fully musical.

Just like the Disney studios where they ripped out The Munro Dynaudio Acoustics Monitors and replaced them with QSC horns having pa grade horns comes across very harsh in the end mix. Definitively the type of loudspeaker in the mix room affects the playback quality at home.

The Honky Chateau 5.1 SACD Rocketman is way cleaner than the Tidal version remixed at Dolby Burbank to me can someone try this out and opine?

The Honky Chateau 5.1 SACD Rocketman is way cleaner than the Tidal version remixed at Dolby Burbank to me can someone try this out and opine?
I did a quick comparison of this a few days ago, here are my notes...

Atmos: the soundfield lights up with the chorus, good guitar and synth, I like the chorus just being all around, rather than limited to the surround in a 5.1 set up.

SACD: BASS, BASS, BASS...no comparison, the SACD wrecks the Atmos, it's tight and hits better. Elton's piano much clearer, I felt that his piano got lost in the Atmos. Guitar cleaner, clearer.

I haven’t A/B’d them but I prefer the Atmos mix.

They’re both good but the Atmos really takes proper advantage of the airy electric guitar slides. It’s called “Rocket Man,” and I want to feel It take off into space. The SACD was too conservative here. I like how the Atmos chorus surrounds and jolts you (guess Greg Penny didn’t follow Bornstein’s advice). More dynamic and spacy, and recreates the faraway-sounding lead vocal reverb that the SACD didn’t bother with.

Normally I don’t like instrumental changes, but I did appreciate the potting down of the cheesy dry synth in verse two. It’s always irked me on the original stereo and 5.1 mixes, really dating an otherwise timeless track.

Back