No More Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My major concern with streaming was mentioned by Mike in his video. Eventually music now available will disappear from the streaming service. It’s not a long term option.

I hope studios will release either full bandwidth audio files as downloads or the release collections of these surround tracks on disk. Either of these options would give assured usage in the future. I don’t mind paying more for permanent access to tracks or albums. Right now I’m not interested in paying a ‘rental’ fee for such a limited selection, both quantity and usage time.

Historically, Atmos streaming will probably fail over time. All gone!

Ironically, one of the most durable formats was the 'venerable' DVD ..... and NOT expressly for motion pictures. In that department BD~V and now UHD4K obliterated it, even in upsampling mode. But the DVD did form the genesis of both MLP DVD~Audio and even SACD. As far as disc failures, an EXCELLENT track record.

When SONY introduced the SACD format, it basically stated 'although RBCD was a good idea, SACD is better' and inadvertently vowed to release ALL their future music releases in the Superior SACD format. Unlike it's competitor, DVD~Audio it had the advantage of being backward compatible with ALL RBCD players while adding a hi res stereo and multichannel layer. IMO, had SONY added an HDCD layer to the RBCD portion which boasted 20 bit resolution...they would've had a TRUE winner.

Alas, none of that transpired. And initially, in the early days of the format wars, SACD was the clear victor as more and more labels signed on to produce SACDs leaving Warner's MLP DVD~A format in the dust.

As we all know, SACDs are still being produced today in smaller quantities for boutique stereo labels like MoFi, AP, etc. and IMO, successfully resurrected by Dutton Vocalion for their excellent QUAD/Stereo reissues but with the advent of BD~A which is capable of holding amazing amounts of music on a single disc, either in Mono/Stereo/QUAD/5.1/Auro 3D 11.1 and Dolby Atmos we have a new hi~res storage champion ..... but with a single caveat: disc failure. Which brings me to my next discussion: Nothing seems to be ARCHIVAL. LPs, Tape based music/movies and now even the venerable BD~A have not stood the test of time and some have even surmised, digital storage is NOT the panacea it appears to be unless one has back~ups for the back~ups.

And the sad reality is that ALL those fabulous [and NOT so fabulous] Master Tapes and Film Negatives, through neglect and unforseen circumstances [like Fires and Floods and POOR storage] risk being lost to us ..... FOREVER! Our Universal Players will one day break down and our computers will crash while our vision and hearing, through abuse and/or age will diminish while the music majors and movie studios continue to trickle out their wares in various formats while neglecting the sad truth of NOT having an ARCHIVAL format IN THE BEST POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS AVAILABLE to do justice to those years and years of World Culture.

A QUESTION: In YOUR OPINION what would be the best current format available to preserve this culture in the HIGHEST RESOLUTION POSSIBLE? And WHY?

Last edited:
And the sad reality is that ALL those fabulous [and NOT so fabulous] Master Tapes and Film Negatives, through neglect and unforseen circumstances [like Fires and Floods and POOR storage] risk being lost to us ..... FOREVER! Our Universal Players will one day break down and our computers will crash while our vision and hearing, through abuse and/or age will diminish while the music majors and movie studios continue to trickle out their wares in various formats while neglecting the sad truth of NOT having an ARCHIVAL format IN THE BEST POSSIBLE RESOLUTIONS AVAILABLE to do justice to those years and years of World Culture.

Modern day 2020 and beyond - nothing lasts more than maybe 10 years or so. Major appliances like washers and dryers are a case in point. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

For archival purposes, maybe a high capacity flash drive would be the best form to preserve recorded film, music? Our players, discs, etc have not been built to last, even though we would wish they would. Technology in some respects is both a blessing and a curse. Maybe we will have to come to terms that some of the things we love may not be available forever.

My major concern with streaming was mentioned by Mike in his video. Eventually music now available will disappear from the streaming service. It’s not a long term option.

I hope studios will release either full bandwidth audio files as downloads or the release collections of these surround tracks on disk. Either of these options would give assured usage in the future. I don’t mind paying more for permanent access to tracks or albums. Right now I’m not interested in paying a ‘rental’ fee for such a limited selection, both quantity and usage time.

Historically, Atmos streaming will probably fail over time. All gone!

Technology has given these studios and services the ability to control at their leisure the movies and music. Once physical media is extinct, people will have no other choice and it won't just be a long term option, but a permanent option. DRM is a huge player in downloads/permanent access, studios certainly don't want people downloading to a hard drive and then ripping and sharing, without the studio getting their $ cut.

Atmos music (not movies) streaming certainly will fail if the mass market doesn't adopt it.

Ironically, one of the most durable formats was the 'venerable' DVD ..... and NOT expressly for motion pictures. In that department BD~V and now UHD4K obliterated it, even in upsampling mode. But the DVD did form the genesis of both MLP DVD~Audio and even SACD. As far as disc failures, an EXCELLENT track record.

When SONY introduced the SACD format, it basically stated 'although RBCD was a good idea, SACD is better' and inadvertently vowed to release ALL their future music releases in the Superior SACD format. Unlike it's competitor, DVD~Audio it had the advantage of being backward compatible with ALL RBCD players while adding a hi res stereo and multichannel layer. IMO, had SONY added an HDCD layer to the RBCD portion which boasted 20 bit resolution...they would've had a TRUE winner.

Alas, none of that transpired. And initially, in the early days of the format wars, SACD was the clear victor as more and more labels signed on to produce SACDs leaving Warner's MLP DVD~A format in the dust.

As we all know, SACDs are still being produced today in smaller quantities for boutique stereo labels like MoFi, AP, etc. and IMO, successfully resurrected by Dutton Vocalion for their excellent QUAD/Stereo reissues but with the advent of BD~A which is capable of holding amazing amounts of music on a single disc, either in Mono/Stereo/QUAD/5.1/Auro 3D 11.1 and Dolby Atmos we have a new hi~res storage champion ..... but with a single caveat: disc failure. Which brings me to my next discussion: Nothing seems to be ARCHIVAL. LPs, Tape based music/movies and now even the venerable BD~A have not stood the test of time and some have even surmised, digital storage is NOT the panacea it appears to be uless one has back~ups for the back~ups.

A QUESTION: In YOUR OPINION what would be the best current format available to preserve this culture in the HIGHEST RESOLUTION POSSIBLE? And WHY?
This little known disc theoretically will last 1000 years- how long do you plan on living. 🤔
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Cultural preservation has always been an expensive proposition. For music, it seems that SACD has held up the best for high resolution music if multichannel is a consideration, so I would vote for that format. For video, it would be 4K UHD stored on servers for streaming via the web...but I am not a movie junkie. For movie junkies, I really don't know what to tell you as Blu-ray rot has to be one's worst nightmare.

Practically speaking, I think that my current physical library will hold up until I get to the age where I won't care anymore. Even now, I am finding myself budgeting more time to activities that I won't be able to do very well in the coming years rather than watching movies or listening to music...Now if my ears don't hold up, I may regret taking the current fork in the road

The Library of Congress chose the vinyl (not shellac) 12" microgroove stereo 78 RPM as the most durable format for preserving sound for long periods of time.
Seems they are a little behind the times and no Hi-Def Surround, maybe the LoC doesn’t listen to any :p
I’m sure there’s lots of storage tech still to come, what about that new Holographic (actually been in development since the 60’s) or even organic DNA Storage Has a New Molecule-Sized Competitor
Ultimately, nothing is bullet proof though.

Modern day 2020 and beyond - nothing lasts more than maybe 10 years or so. Major appliances like washers and dryers are a case in point. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
So true. I have a 'beer fridge' that is 56 years old and still going strong. It's probably not as efficient as a modern fridge though.....

Yeah but keep in mind that the beer formats, bottles and cans, has not yet been superseded.

Kal, NEVER heard of "ON TAP?"

See the source image

Back