Beatles "Things We Said Today" Vocals

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
No, this isn't quad or 5.1, but I was futzing around with it with that in mind, and I came up with Paul's double tracked vocal - discrete! Is this something that has been discovered before?
Maybe it's just me getting old but to me it sounds amazing. Here's a sample mp3 that you should be able to play right from here. Listen to the separation. I thought it was pretty good.
Of course, if this is something everyone already has already discovered, well, sorry!

Attachments

• SampleForQQ.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 394
Sounds ace! Great song and Macca sounds awesome there... Funny - I was just recently reading about how Nirvana - Nevermind had double tracked vocals only because of this...

Did you know? ‘Nevermind’ has a much fuller sound than its rough-edged and raw predecessor ‘Bleach’ and a lot of that is owed to the double-tracking of Cobain’s vocals. But Cobain was originally reluctant to use the popular recording technique, with producer Butch Vig noting that Kurt “thought it sounded too fake”. However, Vig managed to convince Cobain to change his mind after mentioning that “John Lennon did it”. Vig later recalled that Kurt “pretty much double-tracked all the vocals after that.”

Ok different Beatle - but cigar worthy closeness... :smokin

Sounds ace! Great song and Macca sounds awesome there... Funny - I was just recently reading about how Nirvana - Nevermind had double tracked vocals only because of this...

Did you know? ‘Nevermind’ has a much fuller sound than its rough-edged and raw predecessor ‘Bleach’ and a lot of that is owed to the double-tracking of Cobain’s vocals. But Cobain was originally reluctant to use the popular recording technique, with producer Butch Vig noting that Kurt “thought it sounded too fake”. However, Vig managed to convince Cobain to change his mind after mentioning that “John Lennon did it”. Vig later recalled that Kurt “pretty much double-tracked all the vocals after that.”

Ok different Beatle - but cigar worthy closeness... :smokin

Funny you mention NEVERMIND, Master Smithers, I LOVE the Stereo BD~A which in some circles was heavily criticized for poor sonics. Same goes for IN UTERO [BD~A Stereo]. Would've been nice to have both in surround ...... but alas, NOT!
91hGxWW4Z5L._SL1500_.jpg

Ha bloody hell that's a peculiar picture?! 📷 Reminds me of the end of Gremlins! Not wanting to get too far OT but I have the hi-res Flac of Nevermind from HD tracks and to be honest wasn't blown away Signore Raphael. A surround version would be most appreciated!

And after hearing Giles Martin's latest Beatles mixes I'd happily recommend him for the job...

No, this isn't quad or 5.1, but I was futzing around with it with that in mind, and I came up with Paul's double tracked vocal - discrete! Is this something that has been discovered before?
Maybe it's just me getting old but to me it sounds amazing. Here's a sample mp3 that you should be able to play right from here. Listen to the separation. I thought it was pretty good.
Of course, if this is something everyone already has already discovered, well, sorry!
Hi Jon,

A couple of questions/points. Where did you source this version as it doesn't appear to be the original mix? Secondly, I believe the voice on the left channel is Paul but the right channel is John. I can definitely hear his particular vocal intonations.

Some good info from Andy Wallace re: Nevermind mixing:
Much of his sound is just riding faders and controlling decay.
He would've loved to work with the Beatles (and did with Paul). I really like his Jeff Buckley and Bad Religion productions.

Some good info from Andy Wallace re: Nevermind mixing:
Much of his sound is just riding faders and controlling decay.
He would've loved to work with the Beatles (and did with Paul). I really like his Jeff Buckley and Bad Religion productions.

His work with Faith no More is pretty solid.

Very cool! You might be able to get an even better vocal isolation using the 5.1 version from the Anthology DVD set. The mix actually isn't bad at all - the higher vocal harmony can be heard on its own in the rears.

Hi Jon,
A couple of questions/points. Where did you source this version as it doesn't appear to be the original mix? Secondly, I believe the voice on the left channel is Paul but the right channel is John. I can definitely hear his particular vocal intonations.

Actually, that IS from the Anthology mix! I found the file I had extracted 10 or so years ago and messed around with it. I extracted the rear vocals from the back channels, put the center channel in the left and the extracted rear vocals into the right to make that stereo file. I thought it was interesting to listen to.

Oddly enough, the first minute of the song does not have this amazing separation as the stuff in the rears is just echo. Only when the minute mark passes does the true split vocal emerge.

I just thought I'd share this since it sounded pretty sweet to me.

Back