Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heya Diib, Welcome aboard Ddib and as a noobie........I take it you have some of the right equipment to listen to the latest 5.1s or Quads (on no?)..............or are you just into older Quad stuff?

As far as a book hmmmm......Snood advice is to peruse the forums for questions you had or just flat out ask the noob questions like Snood did when me first joined....hell me still do ask noob questions. :LB

You will find the people round here are real friendly and eager to help. If not for these QQ folks, Snood would still be like :unsure: oh and would have a lot more cash in my pocket too lol :SB

So yeah definitely ask away and search and read. Welcome aboard DDibs :rocks:LB:rocks

Hi!

I'm very new to quadraphonics and am excited to learn. I did, at one time, have a sorta-quad Dark Side of the Moon that I used to play on my 5.1 DVD player. :)

Can anyone suggest a "guide to quadraphonic newbies" book?

Thanks! View attachment 50047
You've found just the guide you're looking for, right here on this forum. If you have questions, feel free to post them. Someone will be able to answer. Read through the different threads that interest you. You'll be an old pro in no time!

Is there a site where I can purchase and download classical or electronica in .dts or .mkv format? I also have a 3D Blu-Ray player as well as Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner combo drives on my computers so I can play physical media as well but I haven't been able to find any for sale — except a $140 set of discs purporting to be classical music in surround format on Amazon.

Hiya Barbie, first Off Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelcome to QQ forums aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome.

On the question - Hmmmmm - Snood sure there is - and pretty sure someone can help you with the question, but I suggest also putting this question in the General Section toooooooo. You will get a much greater audience to it.

Glad you joined and are posting..........please keep on posting any questions or comments. But yeah, definitely also ask this in the general discussion section also :LB

Hello Ladies & Gents, I am Ivan in Alaska.

I just joined as i am the proud new ( third ) owner of a like new 49 y/o RCVR: Sansui QR 6500. I am 55 Y/O, i have wanted a quad receiver ever since i listened to one back in the early 1980's. A minty one popped up on craigslist ( a rare occurrence here in Alaska ) and i was the lucky first responder. It came with the owners manual, the service manual, the warranty card, a large laminated card that shows the info on the both the front controls and the back connections AND a little booklet titled " The wonderful World of FOUR CHANNELS " ( original owner was a Sansui dealer in New Jersey. )

It was a package deal including 4 Pioneer CS-66 speakers in great shape. ( and the original owners guide for them )

I have a Pioneer PL55DX ( Another recent acquisition from CL ) that will need a shibata stylus now that i have a Quad Receiver. I think i need a new cartridge for it as I believe the one that came with it is not optimal for quad? It is marked as V40A, from my research it seems to be an AudioTechnica AT10 rebranded by Kenwood, the stylus was bent.

My everyday TT is a Dual 1219, Love it. I have been running it Through my Denon AVR-3310CI.

I set up the QR 6500 with the Dual and pair of Sansui SP 1500's in STEREO and have been loving it for last 3 days.
I am going to recap the 1500s but they are not bad, the surrounds are very stiff so i need to learn if i should re-surround them or if there is some way to soften them up ( they are not torn, just stiff from age, like me. )

I also have pair of Acoustic Research AR2ax's that are awaiting a recap and pair of Marantz Imperial G-5's.
What i do not have is enough space.

So to recap ( pun intended ) i am i need of a shibata stylus or cart/stylus and more quad LP's.

I have a few LP's of varying "quad" formats somewhere that i have been saving thinking i would need them someday, ( it is now someday )
I look forward to learning from this great resource.
Ivan.

View attachment 47387
View attachment 47388
View attachment 47389
View attachment 47390
View attachment 47391
Welcome aboard I also use a Pioneer PL-55DX for my CD-4 along with a QRX-7500 if you are needing an owners manual for the Pioneer one can be obtained from the Audio Karma Database website.The original cartridge was a PC-Q1.

Ivan, unless you're going to hunt down a CD-4 demodulator for your system, a Shibata stylus is not necessary. The cartridge and stylus you're using now, for your stereo records, is perfectly fine for your SQ and QS records. CD-4 is tricky, at best, and the records have to be both in perfect condition and immaculate. What I'd suggest for you, since the matrix decoder is the QR-6500 is not a logic-type, and has very limited separation, there's a company called Involve Audio that makes a great add-on decoder that will deliver amazing separation from both SQ and QS records, and will do amazing things with stereo records, too. It's called the Surround Master v.2. There are several people in the forums who have them, and can attest to how wonderful they are. It's also very easy to connect to your receiver. It's a night and day difference. and will make listening to your system on those cold, Alaskan winter nights more fun. I spent three years in Alaska, two in Anchorage, and one out on the far west end of the Aleutians. Anchorage, I loved, and used to deal with Shimek's for my audio needs. Shemya... not so great.

Great forum mates

i just noticed this intro forum tho i `ve been here a few week`s

This is easily at least tied for number one fave spots on the world wide pipe AKA the clickity clackers

i am in get ready research mode right now.My NAD T778 won`t be delivered until Junes end,with a Dynaudio Emit centre

My main amp is a Hegel H-360,it will be used to drive the front Left and rights,the NAD will do the centre and 2 rears(My old Tannoy NFM 8s)

Cheers mates

Awesome LeperLord - great ya joined us Surround Freaks and now you areeeeeeeeeee ONE OF US - no going back muhahahaha :rocks :LB:rocks

Now ...... stare into the dancing Banana's eyes and repeat ONE OF US ONE OF US :LB:LB:LB:LB

Welcome aboard LL :giggle:

Great forum mates

i just noticed this intro forum tho i `ve been here a few week`s

This is easily at least tied for number one fave spots on the world wide pipe AKA the clickity clackers

i am in get ready research mode right now.My NAD T778 won`t be delivered until Junes end,with a Dynaudio Emit centre

My main amp is a Hegel H-360,it will be used to drive the front Left and rights,the NAD will do the centre and 2 rears(My old Tannoy NFM 8s)

Cheers mates
I love Dynaudio. Had a wicked car stereo. Exocet tweeters, beefy 4" mid-range and tight punchy 8" mid bass. Never tried their home speakers.

Ivan, unless you're going to hunt down a CD-4 demodulator for your system, a Shibata stylus is not necessary. The cartridge and stylus you're using now, for your stereo records, is perfectly fine for your SQ and QS records. CD-4 is tricky, at best, and the records have to be both in perfect condition and immaculate. What I'd suggest for you, since the matrix decoder is the QR-6500 is not a logic-type, and has very limited separation, there's a company called Involve Audio that makes a great add-on decoder that will deliver amazing separation from both SQ and QS records, and will do amazing things with stereo records, too. It's called the Surround Master v.2. There are several people in the forums who have them, and can attest to how wonderful they are. It's also very easy to connect to your receiver. It's a night and day difference. and will make listening to your system on those cold, Alaskan winter nights more fun. I spent three years in Alaska, two in Anchorage, and one out on the far west end of the Aleutians. Anchorage, I loved, and used to deal with Shimek's for my audio needs. Shemya... not so great.
I have a Sansui QRX-7001. At the time, it was one of their best decoders (from what I've read.) Do you think it's worth it for me to get a Surround Master? Will it make that much of a difference? I know the older Sansui's (and pretty much every older quad decoder) were pretty lame but having one of the final generations of the time.....well, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference. Thanks!

I have a Sansui QRX-7001. At the time, it was one of their best decoders (from what I've read.) Do you think it's worth it for me to get a Surround Master? Will it make that much of a difference? I know the older Sansui's (and pretty much every older quad decoder) were pretty lame but having one of the final generations of the time.....well, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference. Thanks!

Hi. gvl_guy

I am a Sansui collector I have about 8 QRX Receivers one of them is a 7001, and I have Sansui`s flag ship stand alone decoders the QSD-1 & the QS-1000 and comparing them to the Surround Master v2. it was hard but at the end of the day I thought the SM v.2 had a slight edge over the 2 Sansui units this is my own opinion and also the SM v.2 decodes SQ as well just as good.
So it comes down to how many QS & SQ LP`s you have and how far your budget can go, the QRX 7001 unit does a grate job but does not compare with the SM V.2
BBQ....

Hi. gvl_guy

I am a Sansui collector I have about 8 QRX Receivers one of them is a 7001, and I have Sansui`s flag ship stand alone decoders the QSD-1 & the QS-1000 and comparing them to the Surround Master v2. it was hard but at the end of the day I thought the SM v.2 had a slight edge over the 2 Sansui units this is my own opinion and also the SM v.2 decodes SQ as well just as good.
So it comes down to how many QS & SQ LP`s you have and how far your budget can go, the QRX 7001 unit does a grate job but does not compare with the SM V.2
BBQ....
I'm probably over budget now after buying lots of new quad albums. Lol. You know it's getting bad when you run to the postal truck to get the package before anyone else at home knows they got delivered!

Hello and Welcome!
It may depend on what type of surround media you can play....if you have a universal player like an Oppo, you can play blu-ray audio, SACD, DVD-Audio, multi-channel files from a hard drive...etc. It may be good to start by looking at the "Surround Polls" to see what disks have been made, and on what media so you could then search Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, Dutton Vocalion, Discogs.com, eBay, Deep Discount...
Good luck with your surround sound hunting, you've found the best place for this hobbie!

Hi — I don't have a lot of audio playback hardware as I use computers for that. I do have a cobbled together Sony surround AVR with a mix of old and new speakers. Along with the BR/CD/DVD combo burner drives in my computers I also have a 3D Blu-Ray disc player. I'm trying to find music files that I can play. Since there doesn't seem to be anything new except for some electronica / space music stuff (which I also like) I guess the only way to get classical music in surround is to find old quadraphonic tape recordings that have been digitized into .dts or .flac format.

Hi — I don't have a lot of audio playback hardware as I use computers for that. I do have a cobbled together Sony surround AVR with a mix of old and new speakers. Along with the BR/CD/DVD combo burner drives in my computers I also have a 3D Blu-Ray disc player. I'm trying to find music files that I can play. Since there doesn't seem to be anything new except for some electronica / space music stuff (which I also like) I guess the only way to get classical music in surround is to find old quadraphonic tape recordings that have been digitized into .dts or .flac format.

Welcome, @TallTanBarbie. There's actually been more classical music released on SACD & Blu-Ray--and continues to be--than any other genre of music I can think of. Much of it isn't terribly discrete, but some is. Start here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-classical-music-general-discussion-thread.25804/

Just signed up here. Recently upgraded from an old Outlaw prepro to an Anthem MRX720 and I am enjoying my surround discs more. Been slowing building my library last couple years.
Welcome in @MJConroy; are you mainly digital and what types can you play?
Watch out for that Banana guy @Snood - he's usually toooo much fun :hi

:SB Lies Lies Lies alll Lies.......oooooooh you said FUN - OK maybe not then , but yeah watch out for that Snood Guy:LB

Welcome aboard MJ, yeah lotta titles to find and a lotta fun toooooo. Awesome on the upgrade and make sure ya post and ask as much as ya want no matter how easy or hard ya thing the question might be, lotta koo awesome friendly peeps here and if not for them Snood would still be a Snoob, sorta still am, but me wear it better now. :giggle::giggle::LB:LB

So post away and check out the polls and what not, tons of great info and input everywhere :rocks

Hello everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join the family! I need to confess up front, I'm a complete novice. I landed here because I've always owned classic cars and recently installed an original 8 track player in a 68 GTO, then found some quadraphonic recordings; I remember the 70s (and unusually for where I live, I remember cruising in cars with 8 track sound) and loved the look of the hifi gear from way back then. Bumped into some on line quadraphonic discussions that sent me off looking for some original 4 channel receivers, which are relatively few and far between where I live (New Zealand). I'm about to invest in a reasonably well spec'd vintage 4 channel receiver and TT, and am actively looking for an in-home 8 track player. I think I have issues! My wife will not be pleased...

I'm going to need support through this!!!

Back