Impulse label "QS" encoded CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have searched forums and not seen any conclusions whether Keith Jarrett Impulse years 1973-1974 5 cd set has the QS encoding still intact, as the albums were only originally recorded using QS encoding only. Some of what is the original un-edited songs on this have same running time +_/- a few seconds than the quad lp versions I have.
Any experiences on this 5 cd set (produced in 1997 and this Impulse / GRP / universal label with Ed Michel mentioned as part of original and this cd set producing. The other 4 cd set 1975 - 1976, or the 9 cd box set that came out much later which contains the first 2 sets mentioned (total of 9) may be similar encoding don't know. Any experiences or knowledge regarding mainly the 5 cd set produced in 1997 would be great.

I have searched forums and not seen any conclusions whether Keith Jarrett Impulse years 1973-1974 5 cd set has the QS encoding still intact, as the albums were only originally recorded using QS encoding only. Some of what is the original un-edited songs on this have same running time +_/- a few seconds than the quad lp versions I have.
Any experiences on this 5 cd set (produced in 1997 and this Impulse / GRP / universal label with Ed Michel mentioned as part of original and this cd set producing. The other 4 cd set 1975 - 1976, or the 9 cd box set that came out much later which contains the first 2 sets mentioned (total of 9) may be similar encoding don't know. Any experiences or knowledge regarding mainly the 5 cd set produced in 1997 would be great.

No direct experience with this one, @soundsation. (And I hadn't realized that the big 9-disc set from 2013 was preceded by these earlier releases.) The Discogs listing says it was remastered by Wally Buck, which isn't a good sign. In general, if an engineer goes back to the (unencoded) analogue masters to do a digital remaster, then the QS encoding will be lost. Still: the cheapest copy is selling for 19 bucks, so if you have a Sansui or a SurroundMaster at home, it wouldn't cost you much to find out.

I and a few others here do have some experience with the Impulse "2-on-1" series, and we've found that any albums in that series that were originally released in QS did retain the quad encoding. Same goes for earlier single-disc reissues of Fort Yahwuh, Treasure Island, Death and the Flower, and Backhand. But I think the Jarrett albums that made it onto a 2-on-1 were from 1975-6, not 1973-4.

Thanks for the leads humprof. I have all-ready purchased at twice that ammount new un-opened, and thinking I may want to return it if seems more likely that it is not, as I have 2 of these in vinyl format all-ready, and I would know real quick, and of course the db in separation would be noticed much more in the cd version for quad effect.

I and a few others here do have some experience with the Impulse "2-on-1" series, and we've found that any albums in that series that were originally released in QS did retain the quad encoding. Same goes for earlier single-disc reissues of Fort Yahwuh, Treasure Island, Death and the Flower, and Backhand. But I think the Jarrett albums that made it onto a 2-on-1 were from 1975-6, not 1973-4.

I take back that last bit. All four of those Jarrett quads made it onto a 2-on-1:

https://www.discogs.com/label/292976-Impulse!-2-On-1

Some testing performed comparing Keith Jarrett albums: Treasure Island, and Fort Yahwuh with The Impulse years '73 - '75 5 cd set. The un-edited selections representing the original album songs and or lengths are QS encoded and sound the same as when compared using latest version of Sansui variomatrix decoder. The single cd The Impulse Story decodes nicely in QS also. Still testing the extended song duplicates on 5 cd set. I do not have Backhand lp or Death and the Flower lp, but these appear to be quad as well in this 5 cd set.
Other experience with Epic label Chase SQ lp and 2 cd set from Chase also yielded original SQ effect.

Back