Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be nice if they were actually numbered limited editions!!
I actually would prefer the editions not be limited. If the demand is there - repress! The whole reason we are asked to pay big dollars for certain out of print items is that their editions (or pressings) were limited. To me, all that does is encourage piracy. Remember, the artist makes nothing off of eBay sales of used or out of print product. It has always mystified me as to why a label would not reprint out-of-print items in high demand.

As a for instance, I cannot seem to score a copy of Big Big Train - Stone & Steel because it is out of print. Anyone got one for a good price? The Russians are selling pirates on eBay for reasonable money, but I do not want to support that.

In any case, I will be buying in the first round no matter how they present it. It has been a long wait for this one, but it should be excellent!

I actually would prefer the editions not be limited. If the demand is there - repress! The whole reason we are asked to pay big dollars for certain out of print items is that their editions (or pressings) were limited. To me, all that does is encourage piracy. Remember, the artist makes nothing off of eBay sales of used or out of print product. It has always mystified me as to why a label would not reprint out-of-print items in high demand.

As a for instance, I cannot seem to score a copy of Big Big Train - Stone & Steel because it is out of print. Anyone got one for a good price? The Russians are selling pirates on eBay for reasonable money, but I do not want to support that.

In any case, I will be buying in the first round no matter how they present it. It has been a long wait for this one, but it should be excellent!
I do agree with you on your points, but because they state it's a limited edition, I would wish it would be numbered....that's all :) :cool:

I’m gonna send the Preorder link to the Rhino site to Mrs. Surround as soon as it‘s posted. Gonna make a great birthday present! :SB:SB:SB
:ROFLMAO: Well that’s one way to reduce the cost, have somebody else buy it for you!
The real cost is when you’re cranking the shit outta those sweet Doobie Quad tunes with the Mrs. starring you down. :oops:

This approach seems to be a real kick in the teeth to retailers. Most of the sales are going to be close to the release, and the label is maximizing their profits. Then throwing crumbs to the retailers when sales drop off.

I'm good with that (y) I WANT the label to maximize profits....just like I want Dutton to maximize profits...so they will release more titles....in the case of Rhino..they have been very low priced....that Chicago Quadio was an awesome bargain....and that Doors Singles release...they practically gave that one away...they are using the best format(blu ray audio) to give the audiophile crowd what we have been wanting...I won't be shedding any tears for Acoustic Sounds not getting their supply quicker..

$20 a disc is a STEAL for this stuff. OK everyone, I expect a full assault on the Rhino site when this thing gets posted. It's what we should do! After all, we're the first to complain that stuff does not get released, so here you go. Out of the quadraphonic grave yard a phoenix arises. Go get that sucker. Heck, get 2! :)

Show those bean counters that we have the beans! :rocks
My credit card is ready to assault batter rape and pillage the the baby Rhino site.

Question will that be Rhino US only and is there a UK/EU site as well ?

I'm good with that (y) I WANT the label to maximize profits....just like I want Dutton to maximize profits...so they will release more titles....in the case of Rhino..they have been very low priced....that Chicago Quadio was an awesome bargain....and that Doors Singles release...they practically gave that one away...they are using the best format(blu ray audio) to give the audiophile crowd what we have been wanting...I won't be shedding any tears for Acoustic Sounds not getting their supply quicker..

Well the age of middle man retailers is gradually coming to an end - as examples:

No more -

Sam Goody
Circuit City
Good Guys
Best Buy
(severely reduced or gone stock)
*same for - Fry's Electronics (their store near me was huge, now it's basically closed!)
and the big one I'm actually really sad about -TOWER RECORDS (only Japan stores I believe)
and started right here in my home town of Sacramento.

Just to name a few, and that's just the brick n' mortar stores off the top of my head.

Online will be brutally tested now also.
And the winner is - Amazon ???

Last edited:
This approach seems to be a real kick in the teeth to retailers. Most of the sales are going to be close to the release, and the label is maximizing their profits. Then throwing crumbs to the retailers when sales drop off.

Just think of this as a "Rhino Handmade" release, sold directly by Rhino, that will eventually be sold at retail.

I do NOT feel bad for any big name retailers, as it was the retailers who failed to support the new 5.1 products in the 2000's. I can't tell you how many retail stores I went into and asked "Where are your DVD-A's? SACD's?" and they said "We don't carry those", or "They don't make those anymore", etc. What a joke. I got so annoyed at some of these places. The ones that sold them (Best Buy, Media Play, etc) I did support and buy things from, but they NEVER restocked the good titles which added a big nail in the coffin of the product.

What good is getting 3 copies of "Hotel California" in to sell, selling them, then never getting any more copies? All that did was annoy the people looking to buy stuff, as all they found was the shitty Silverline stuff no one wanted to buy as that was all that was left in the bins. Of course, those people ended up buying one "to try", and they sucked, so they never bothered with it again.

No. Sorry. I don't feel bad for the retailers. :devilish:

Very cool to have a release date!!! :LB

Anyone have a guess on what the packaging will be like inside the box? On the Chicago Quadio boxset Rhino replicated the originals down to the round cellophane sleeves if I recall. Hopefully that'll be the same... Maybe they could throw in some weed?! :smokin

Just think of this as a "Rhino Handmade" release, sold directly by Rhino, that will eventually be sold at retail.

I do NOT feel bad for any remaining retailers, as it was the retailers who failed to support the new 5.1 products in the 2000's. I can't tell you how many retail stores I went into and asked "Where are your DVD-A's? SACD's?" and they said "We don't carry those", or "They don't make those anymore", etc. What a joke. I got so annoyed at some of these places. The ones that sold them (Best Buy, Media Play, etc) I did support and buy things from, but they NEVER restocked the good titles which added a big nail in the coffin of the product.

What good is getting 3 copies of "Hotel California" in to sell, selling them, then never getting any more copies? All that did was annoy the people looking to buy stuff, as all they found was the shitty Silverline stuff no one wanted to buy as that was all that was left in the bins. Of course, those people ended up buying one "to try", and they sucked, so they never bothered with it again.

No. Sorry. I don't feel bad for the retailers. :devilish:

Agreed. At least I don't feel bad for the big retailers. I do feel bad for the remaining indie stores, though. Truth be told, they could/can be pretty clueless when it comes to multi-channel releases, too. But while indie labels are still trying to take care of these stores as best they can, the big labels and their distributors have turned them into second-class citizens. Twice in the past month I've called up my local store to order some brand new RBCD releases, only to get an apologetic call from the store owner the next day that the titles were back-ordered and that he'd let me know as soon as he could get them.

Agreed. At least I don't feel bad for the big retailers. I do feel bad for the remaining indie stores, though. Truth be told, they could/can be pretty clueless when it comes to multi-channel releases, too. But while indie labels are still trying to take care of these stores as best they can, the big labels and their distributors have turned them into second-class citizens. Twice in the past month I've called up my local store to order some brand new RBCD releases, only to get an apologetic call from the store owner the next day that the titles were back-ordered and that he'd let me know as soon as he could get them.

True. Guys like 'Bullmoose' are certainly worthy and worth our support, as they have supported us all along.

Back