What are your FAVORITE MUSIC documentaries?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerosmith.....one of my favorite bands of all time.....especially Wings, Toys & Rocks!!! Wish they would release Super Deluxe Box sets of each with Multi-Channel mixes included!!

Here is another fave

Yeah I think I need to check that out!
Wow this is one fast growing thread. I'd say I'm more interested in movies about music, such as Breaking Glass than documentaries about musicians. However one that I thoroughly enjoyed & still lives well in memory was It Might Get Loud. From wiki:

It Might Get Loud is a 2008 American documentary film by filmmaker Davis Guggenheim. It explores the careers and musical styles of prominent rock guitarists Jimmy Page, the Edge, and Jack White.[1] The film premiered at the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, and received a wide release in the United States on August 14, 2009, from Sony Pictures Classics.

I was lucky enough to see it in a real theater which is pretty amazing since it only played in 17 theaters nation wide. A box office flop it still has quite high critic & fan ratings. Ther are some real insights there, some very funny moments. And I think it was genius to bring Jack White, The Edge & Jimmy Page together.

Edit:

Yeah I think I need to check that out!
Wow this is one fast growing thread. I'd say I'm more interested in movies about music, such as Breaking Glass than documentaries about musicians. However one that I thoroughly enjoyed & still lives well in memory was It Might Get Loud. From wiki:

I was lucky enough to see it in a real theater which is pretty amazing since it only played in 17 theaters nation wide. A box office flop it still has quite high critic & fan ratings. Ther are some real insights there, some very funny moments. And I think it was genius to bring Jack White, The Edge & Jimmy Page together.
I probably need to watch that again; seemed to me from recollection "Jack White, The Edge & Jimmy Page" were all kinda dancing around each other not knowing what to do. :unsure:

Minutemen - We Jam Econo - Wonderful and sad story of friendship
Fugazi - Instrument - Shot on film. The perfect band IMO
Brainiac - Transmissions After Zero - Sad story, cut short
Hip Hop Evolution - fun series overall
Grateful Dead - Long Strange Trip - 6 hours, fantastic editing
George Harrison - Living in a Material World - :)
Def Leppard - Hysteria - Classic Albums - I love all of these but Hysteria is especially detailed and good.
Simon and Garfunkel - The Harmony Game - made in a pivotal time for them

The Rainbow
The Rainbow
(120)IMDb 7.21h 11min201913+

While the world around it has changed dramatically, The Rainbow Bar and Grill has remianed as one of the last bastions of true Rock n' Roll on Hollywood's famed Sunset Strip. Legendary musicians recount their stories from the iconic venue.

See the source image
Take Me to the River (2014 film)
Hosted by Terence Howard, the vibrant … inspiring (New York Times) film Take Me To The River is a glorious celebration of the intergenerational, interracial and undeniable influence of Memphis on American culture and its music. It brings award-winning Memphis and Mississippi Delta musicians together for a one-of-a-kind musical project, as they record an album of many musical styles all mixed to perfection in one melting pot.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to produce Rock Doc's and one band that has not yet had justice done for them is none other then Led Zeppelin.....sign me up if there is anyone who is a mover and shaker to get involved in making one.

This one is ok but not great

Love her and this comes highly recommended

Stevie Nicks - Through The Looking Glass
(111)IMDb 6.82h 1min201313+

81WjI58RkZL._SX600_.jpg

For over four decades Stevie Nicks has been responsible for composing some of the best loved and most joyous contemporary songs ever written, as this documentary film recounts. Featuring rare footage, archive and new interviews, plus contributions from those who have worked closely with Stevie such as good friend Keith Olsen, Rumours producer Ken Caillat, and Rick Vito, this DVD will delight fans.
Director

Gimme Danger
(177)IMDb 7.21h 48min2016X-RayR

Jim Jarmusch's new film Gimme Danger chronicles the story of The Stooges, one of the greatest rock-n-roll bands of all time.
DirectorJim JarmuschStarringIggy Pop, Ron Asheton, ScottAsheton
In this doc. Iggy talks about the Goose Lake Festival and Dave Anderson (Stooges bass player)
Iggy swears that Dave was so out of it that he didn't play bass at this concert.
There is an album coming out soon from this Stooges performance at Goose Lake. Will there be bass ?

Back