What are your FAVORITE MUSIC documentaries?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea for a thread. Where to start? I'll second the recommendations for the Aja Classic Albums episode, as well as The Wrecking Crew, which is essential. A couple of others I saw around the same time, just as good in their own way, and featuring some of the same people: docs about Harry Nilsson (Who Is Harry Nilsson? [And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him]?) and Glen Campbell (I'll Be Me).

What else? The Fearless Freaks, about The Flaming Lips. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, about Wilco. Scratch, about early hip-hop DJs (with a 5.1 soundtrack!). And one of the very best docs I've ever seen, about any subject: Searching for Sugar Man. (@holland123 : calling the Motor City--back me up on this one!) It's leaving Netflix later this month, so catch it while you can. Also: it won an Oscar for Best Documentary, FWIW.

Eager to check out that Tom Dowd doc. Also the one about Tower Records. In that vein: there's a new one just out about New York's Other Music that you can rent for a private screening since its theatrical release was bolloxed by the virus.

Last edited:
I really liked the Cowsills documentary mentioned above.
The Partridge Family tv show was modelled on them.

I also reccomend Searching for Sugarman mentioned above.
I got to see him in concert a few years ago.

Lovely idea for a thread! I've many I like a great deal, so I'll group them.

First up - Performance documentation:

Stones In The Park
Festival
Jazz On a Summer's Day
Monterey Pop
Woodstock
Stop Making Sense

Artist documentation:

One Plus One: Sympathy For the Devil
Song Of Summer: Frederick Delius
Searching For the Sugar Man
20,000 Days On Earth
Benda Bilili!
Four American Composers: Meredith Monk
Classic Albums: Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon
Don't Look Back
Arena: Brian Eno - Another Green Room
Mirrorball: Mike Mills (OK, this artist is the music video director)

Label/genre/general music:

Searching For the Wrong Eyed Jesus
Dancing In The Street
Buena Vista Social Club
Here's A Piano I Prepared Earlier
Imagine: The Lost Music Of Rajasthan
Sound Of Cinema: The Music That Made The Movies
Score: Cinema's Greatest Soundtracks

Well I think I have my recommended watch list taken care of for a while! :)

Another left field entry:

Zappa - Baby Snakes

It's a documentary of itself, is it not? The scene will briefly cut to the studio room with Terry, Ed, and Tommy overdubbing the actual sound fx track for that moment with Frank conducting. For one example. The green room scenes...

Well I think I have my recommended watch list taken care of for a while! :)

Another left field entry:

Zappa - Baby Snakes

It's a documentary of itself, is it not? The scene will briefly cut to the studio room with Terry, Ed, and Tommy overdubbing the actual sound fx track for that moment with Frank conducting. For one example. The green room scenes...
Speaking of Zappa don't forget 200 Motels!!!!

Back