Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experiences have been even more interesting... I would enter the Best Buys, Circuit Citys, and regular Record / CD stores and ask for DVD-Audio, SACD, or DTS CD and the response was "What is that?". The only place that knew about these formats, was a place in NY called LaserLand whose core business was 12 inch Laserdisc sales & rentals. I actually blame the record, and electronics companies more than the retailers, as it was the licensing and incompatibility that destroyed the formats. My2¢

I used to frequent Laserland ALL the time - Syosset on Jericho Tpke. They had an awesome theater and sound room. M&K, Lexicon, front projection, etc - state of the art at the time. Got my first subwooofer (M&K) there. They moved to Huntington before finally disappearing altogether. I miss that place.

Tower Records had a decent DVD-a and SACD selection at first. They had DTS cd's on occasion but charged more than Laserland for those. Virgin Megastore also had DVD-a and SACD, could never find DTS cd there though.

I ordered my Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A from them. When it arrived, it was a BOX of them!! Yes, a box with 24 or so copies of the Rumours DVD-A. (They charged me for one)

Because I had bought many a LaserDisc from them and felt some sort of loyalty to them, I emailed them and told them what happened. I thought I would get a big pat on the back, and honesty banner, a 10% off my next purchase, heck, I would have taken just a "Thank You". But no, they replied matter of factly to "Ship them back and we'll credit you the postage".

Thanks a lot! :)

When I was just 13 or 14 we moved to a very small Tennessee town from Chicago. One day I found change in the paper box on the street right in front of the newspaper's office. Having the whole "diff.between the mean streets of Chicago vs. Mayberry decency" in my head, I went into the paper office and returned the change to a person at the desk. Did anyone say thank you ? No, they laughed at me ! I turned and walked out. People suck. Not always of course, but a lot of the time.

You mentioned Laser Discs....anybody remember Ken Crane's...you could get that pre recorded message on new releases..and that catalog they mailed you...that's a great memory..

♥ Ken Cranes! Pre-ordered DVD's would get to you before street date :rocks They always stocked the hard to find stuff.

Sadly :(

Hi Duncan,
Thanks for your email.
Unfortunately this is unlikely but if this changes it will be on our weekly newsletter :)
Kind regards,
Chloe
Burning Shed Support
[email protected]

But if it's just WOOD you need, Dunc

See the source image

*same for - Fry's Electronics (their store near me was huge, now it's basically closed!)

Had a router go bad a couple months ago. Connectivity would come and go. During the moments it worked I Googled "best routers 2020" and found some likely candidates. According to their web page, neither the Northgate nor Roseville Fry's had *any* of them. In fact, they had very, very few routers at all. Wound up getting a less-desirable one from "Best" Buy because waiting for mail-order was not an option.

I learned a year or so back that now the *only* way to deal with Fry's is to order online either for same-day delivery or in-store pickup. Doesn't matter what their web page says, you're wasting your time to drive there unless/until they've explicitly told you they have the item ready for you.

Back