10 Most Underrated Surround Albums on Digital Formats ONLY!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alphabetically:

1. BJ Cole - Trouble in Paradise (DVD-A dual disc)
2. Dredg - El Cielo (SACD)
3. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Rage On (SACD)
4. Guitar Shorty - My Way or the Highway (SACD)
5. Monty Alexander - Monty Meets Sly and Robbie (SACD)
6. Paul Weller - Studio 150 (SACD)
7. Rickie Lee Jones - Sermon on Exposition Blvd (SACD)
8. Steve Stevens - Flamenco A-Go-Go (DVD-A)
9. Various Artists - Is it Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan (DVD-A dual disc)
10. Yaz - Upstairs at Erics / You & Me Both (DTS)

I looked at the category of underrated and went to the Hi-rez poll to see how many times people had voted on these and all discs were under 15 votes to no poll at all. I have listened to all of these titles this week after the poll went up.

Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance dualdisc/dvd-a
Richard Thompson - The Old Kit Bag dualdisc/dvd-a (could also put Rumour and Sigh)
Paul Weller - Studio 150 sacd
Peter Tosh - Legalize It sacd
The Thrills - So Much For The City dvd-a
Rusty Truck - Lucks Changing Lanes dts disc
Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll sacd (could add Gold)
Snow Patrol - Final Straw sacd
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee dvda (listed many times as dts in poll)

I enjoy threads like these and am working on my 2 channel albums for another thread. It will be much harder to determine UNDERRATED. Scott

if I could ever find a copy of the Legalize it SACD for sensible money I'd be able to either concur or disagree!! Boo :(

1. Toy Matinee DVD-A [desert island disc and go to demo disc when I sold gear]
2. RPWL - World Through My Eyes SACD [great band that found their own sound]
3. Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music SACD [always great, worth it for the first track alone]
4. Helmet of Gnats - s/t SACD [reasons already cited in above posts]
5. Cameron Carpenter Organ - Evolutionary SACD [unusual spaciousness and amazing musicianship]
6. Todd Rundgren - Liars DVD-A [classic artist never disappoints]
7. Nektar - Remember The Future SACD [Brits always thought to be German; good inventive rock]
8. Midnight Oil - Capricornia DTS 6.1 EX [great songs by a great band]
9. Patrick Leonard DTS [piano songs about rivers with sparse instrumentation]
10. Richard Thompson - The Old Kit Bag [not a famous album; he always delivers to a high standard]

That Satriani SACD IS fabulous!!

I only wish the bonus' from the cd were on the Nektar SACD but I understand they weren't on the original quad mix so no could do.

10. Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat (DVDA)
9. Bryan Ferry - Frantic (DVDA)
8. Ohio Players - Fire (DTS CD)
7. Eric Clapton - Reptile (DVDA)
6. Buddy Guy - DJ Play My Blues (SACD)
5. Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father (DVDA)
4. George Benson - Songs and Stories (Monster Music DTS 96/24 DVDV)
3. Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething (SACD)
2. Earth, Wind & Fire - Gratitude (SACD)
1. Sam Cooke - At the Copa (SACD)

These never get discussed (or at least haven't for ages) or if they do they never get the praise they deserve.. and I love them all..!

Poco "Crazy Eyes" is one of my all-time favorite surround/quad recordings. Stephen Stills' 'Stills' DTS mix has a nice crisp sound too. Paul Cotton's (formerly of Poco) 'Firebird' DVD also has decent sound quality as well.

The Satriani disc (as well as his 'Engines of Creation'---even though only in high-resolution stereo) are my "go-to" discs...when I want to listen to something I KNOW is great!

I agree with others that Snow Patrol sacd/dualdisc of "Final Straw" is superb. Not only is the album one of their best from start to finish, but the mix is also underrated. The dualdisc also has many extras, so I own it as well as the sacd. This is one of my favorite discs and gets tons of play time.

I'd like to add Foo Fighter's dualdisc "In Your Honor" to the list, as well as Alicia Keys "Songs in A Minor".
And finally, if you enjoy classical music you are missing out if you don't have Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone sacd. Grab it on the cheap before it goes bye-bye like all the gems!

One more I almost forgot....Queen's "The Game" is a fun dvd-a that doesn't seem to get quite the recognition as ANATO, but I enjoy this disc immensely. The bassnotes in "Dragon Attack" and the swirling sounds will impress any Freddy fans out there!

I agree with others that Snow Patrol sacd/dualdisc of "Final Straw" is superb. Not only is the album one of their best from start to finish, but the mix is also underrated. The dualdisc also has many extras, so I own it as well as the sacd. This is one of my favorite discs and gets tons of play time.

I'd like to add Foo Fighter's dualdisc "In Your Honor" to the list, as well as Alicia Keys "Songs in A Minor".
And finally, if you enjoy classical music you are missing out if you don't have Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone sacd. Grab it on the cheap before it goes bye-bye like all the gems!

One more I almost forgot....Queen's "The Game" is a fun dvd-a that doesn't seem to get quite the recognition as ANATO, but I enjoy this disc immensely. The bassnotes in "Dragon Attack" and the swirling sounds will impress any Freddy fans out there!

I also found Queen´s "The Game" a very great title, is one of the most played titles in my collection, along with these titles: Metallica (DVD-A), Sting "Nothing like the sun" (DTS), Doors LA Woman (DVD-A), R.E.M. Document (DVD-A), Beck Sea Changes (DVD-A), Eagles "Hell freezes over" (DTS). Some of these titles doesn´t get mentioned too much.

I also found Queen´s "The Game" a very great title, is one of the most played titles in my collection, along with these titles: Metallica (DVD-A), Sting "Nothing like the sun" (DTS), Doors LA Woman (DVD-A), R.E.M. Document (DVD-A), Beck Sea Changes (DVD-A), Eagles "Hell freezes over" (DTS). Some of these titles doesn´t get mentioned too much.

It's a shame that this disc was not done as a dvd-audio disc. It's my favorite Sting album by far and is superb. The regular cd in fact is my best 2-channel disc I own. Good catch for sure...

Last edited:

I agree on the Queen Disc too, I was never much of a fan of that album untill the surround version came around, a very good mix and a a great album.

Poco "Crazy Eyes" is one of my all-time favorite surround/quad recordings.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have the Q8, but did not pick up the dts version, so found a copy and placed an order. Looking forward to hearing it.

Necrothread revival! Great topic, and I agree with many of the selections posted upthread (Foo Fighters, Bryan Ferry, Toy Matinee, Poco, etc). Here's my 10:

1. Mando Diao - Aelita
2. Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix
3. Richard Thompson - Rumor & Sigh
4. Graham Nash - Songs For Survivors
5. Barenaked Ladies - Maroon
6. Mary Chapin Carpenter - Time Sex Love
7. Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
8. Alison Krauss & Union Station - New Favorite
9. Velvet Underground - Loaded
10. R.E.M. - Up

Honorable Mentions:
Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time
James Taylor - Hourglass
Sting - Brand New Day
Lee Ann Womack - Greatest Hits
Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness

In no particular order

Lee Ritenour
- 6 String Theory DTS
Duran Duran - Astronaut SACD
Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood SACD
ILS - Soul Trader DVD-A
Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins - Scarcity of Miracles DVD-A
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage DTS
Chris Botti - Night Sessions SACD
Gong - Rejoice I'm Dead DVD-A
Derek & Dominoes - Layla (Elliot Scheiner) Blu-ray
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path DTS

In no particular order

Lee Ritenour
- 6 String Theory DTS
Duran Duran - Astronaut SACD
Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood SACD
ILS - Soul Trader DVD-A
Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins - Scarcity of Miracles DVD-A
Fleetwood Mac - Mirage DTS
Chris Botti - Night Sessions SACD
Gong - Rejoice I'm Dead DVD-A
Derek & Dominoes - Layla (Elliot Scheiner) Blu-ray
Alan Parsons - A Valid Path DTS
Thanks to the Quad Goddess for thinking up this thread :bowing:

I’ll work on a list in a bit, but first, some of these titles maybe get the “Rodney Dangerfield” treatment because they’ve become so darn rare and/or expensive,
Like the Ritenour, Bianco, Botti, Dominoes & even the Parsons of Beefalo’s list.
A regular “best of” type of list is darn near impossible for me; but I think it will be fun to come up with 10 for this one!

1593772962648.gif

Back