Ennio Morricone passes away

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.I.P. Ennio. Your film scores were MAGNIFICO

See the source image

Donald Fagen interviewing Morricone in the late 80s:

http://sdarchive.com/premiere2.html
(Fagen himself is a famously difficult interview subject. What goes around, comes around?)

Great interview. I like this particular interchange:

Fagen: But isn't it true that the Leone films, with their elevation of mythic structures, their comic book visual style and extreme irony, are now perceived as signaling an aesthetic transmutation by a generation of artists and filmmakers? And isn't it also true that your music for those films reflected and abetted Leone's vision by drawing on the same eerie catalog of genres - Hollywood western, Japanese samurai, American pop, and Italian Opera? That your scores functioned both "inside" the film as a narrative voice and "outside" the film as the commentary of a winking jester? Put it all together and doesn't it spell "postmodern", in the sense that there has been a grotesque encroachment of the devices of art and, in fact, an establishment of a new narrative plane founded on the devices themselves? Isn't that what's attracting lower Manhattan?

Morricone: [ shrugs ]

Always loved Morricone scores. His music made Leone films so memorable and will live forever.
RIP

Last edited:
Donald Fagen interviewing Morricone in the late 80s:

http://sdarchive.com/premiere2.html
(Fagen himself is a famously difficult interview subject. What goes around, comes around?)
Fagen: After scoring so many films, it must be hard to come up with fresh ideas.
Morricone: I saw The Untouchables on Monday, I thought of the main theme in the cab back to the hotel and played it for De Palma on Tuesday.

And 25 years later ...

Tarantino on Morricone winning The Golden Globe

Great interview. I like this particular interchange:

Fagen: But isn't it true that the Leone films, with their elevation of mythic structures, their comic book visual style and extreme irony, are now perceived as signaling an aesthetic transmutation by a generation of artists and filmmakers? And isn't it also true that your music for those films reflected and abetted Leone's vision by drawing on the same eerie catalog of genres - Hollywood western, Japanese samurai, American pop, and Italian Opera? That your scores functioned both "inside" the film as a narrative voice and "outside" the film as the commentary of a winking jester? Put it all together and doesn't it spell "postmodern", in the sense that there has been a grotesque encroachment of the devices of art and, in fact, an establishment of a new narrative plane founded on the devices themselves? Isn't that what's attracting lower Manhattan?

Morricone: [ shrugs ]

Always loved Morricone scores. His music made Leone films so memorable and will live forever.
RIP

That’s an amazing response to Fagen’s query. Love it!

I remember the first time I saw The Good, The Bad And The Ugly...what a score...so unusual and enchanting.
Thank you for this info, this is sad news. Yes, he was a great talent!
Just watched 'The Good, The Bad & The Ugly' last night. Excellent soundtrack. I thought he had wrote this.
Also, very recently I acquired the 5.1 Dualdisc 'Ennio Morricone- Here's To You...' from a discogs seller in Greece. So the International mail is moving again. Must listen to this soon.
He will be missed. May God bless his soul.

Last edited:
Back