Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pre-ordered it. A bit like the Pink Floyd Immersion box sets - a load of superfluous bits and pieces just to get a Blu-ray disc. Hopefully Star Star will sound fab, hopefully Angie Baby might be okay.

I am hoping that it will be successful commercially and that they will produce a similar set for Sticky Fingers.

Various unofficial recordings have come out
starting with a vinyl version in 1974 titled "Bedspring Symphony"
It's been my favorite Stones performance ever since.
Bedspring Symphony wasn't the full concert was it though....Yes I also remember it well.....I also the the CD version somewhere........https://youtu.be/v_x9pojuZaY

Last edited:
Nice to see The Rolling Stones getting a proper surround release! :LB Although I'm a little surprised they've chosen this title too? I may see how the dust settles before ordering just yet....

I seem to remember a video in which Steve Genewick was talking about mixing the Stones in Atmos? I'm pretty sure he mentioned Angie as one of the tracks? 🤔

I seem to remember a video in which Steve Genewick was talking about mixing the Stones in Atmos? I'm pretty sure he mentioned Angie as one of the tracks? 🤔

I think the Tidal/Atmos initiative stands apart from these box set projects - they created a new Atmos version of The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" rather than simply re-using Bob Clearmountain's 5.1 mix.

Bedspring Symphony wasn't the full concert was it though....Yes I also remember it well.....I also have the CD version somewhere........https://youtu.be/v_x9pojuZaY
I believe you're correct. The history on this one is a little foggy to my old alcohol rinsed memory. Not sure if it's a single performance or compilation of different shows.

I think the Tidal/Atmos initiative stands apart from these box set projects - they created a new Atmos version of The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" rather than simply re-using Bob Clearmountain's 5.1 mix.

Good point! I dunno - you wait umpteen years for a surround mix, and then 2 come along at once! 🚌

I can't find the thread but I'm pretty sure this was the video in which Stevie G mentions mixing The Stones/Angie in Atmos... Either way I'd still be happy with a Bob Clearmartain mix...

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/1/6/remastering-music-in-immersive-audio
No time to watch it as I'm Hank Marvin and I've got a pizza in the oven... 🍕😋

Yep in the video (at around 14 mins) Stevie G only mentions doing it as a test... But the album was Goats Head Soup... Doesn't fill me with oodles of confidence to be honest...

I wonder if they’ll consider releasing Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main Street (my all time Stones favs) in hires surround and stereo on a single Blu-ray for about $30. How’s that sound?
The only Rolling Stones album that IMHO would benefit from a multichannel mix is Exile, just because it is so congested and could use an opening up and ideally an immersive mix. These days I believe that mch mixes should be immersive, not just having instruments and vocals distributed discretely among the channels. Not all music is suited for immersive mixes.

I will pass on this. If they ever release it as a single disc I would get it (ditto for so many other 5.1 releases that are part of expensive boxsets, no hope at all it will happen).

Back