Tears for Fears - "The Seeds of Love" (Steven Wilson 5.1 Remix out on October 9th!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounding like The Beatles? Yes, it’s a real problem...That’s why I have almost all of the Badfinger albums. So looks like I’ll have to get Seeds too!

AR, SEEDS is an absolutely stunning album from beginning to end and even the RBCD sounds amazing!

Should sound ASTOUNDING in 5.1 via Steve Wilson's remix as it's a very densely layered album.

I'm not familiar with any stereo remixes of Badfinger. Can you provide a link or some other reference to point me in the right direction?
The 1992 reissue of No Dice has a statement in the notes: "This album was mastered from the original two-track stereo master mix tapes, and eight-track master session tapes." After careful review of the notes, I surmise that only the songs Get Down and Friends Are Hard To Find are mixed from the eight-track masters for this particular release. The previously unreleased Geoff Emerick bonus tracks on both the early 1990's reissues of No Dice and Straight Up apparently are Emerick's original stereo mixes. So we only got remixes of the two songs mentioned above...

It was wishful thinking on my part that the Emerick versions had been remixed from the eight-track masters for these releases. Sorry about that. Regardless I really like most of those Emerick versions.

SEEDS is an absolutely stunning album from beginning to end and even the RBCD sounds amazing!

Should sound ASTOUNDING in 5.1 via Steve Wilson's remix as it's a very densely layered album

I did a Seeds Penteo UM recently and the surround field turned out really nice. So this would sound great (if we ever get to hear SW‘s mix)

Someone posted a comment over on SDE, asking Paul Sinclair if he could confirm the September release. Unfortunately, his response was:

🤬😢

I completely understand why he would say this, after all, this release has been in the works since 2015, so I'm sure it's been very frustrating for him (as it also is for SW) to work on something and then have it sitting on the shelf unreleased for such a long period of time, but I still think we are now closer to a real release than we have ever been before.

Last summer (right around this time, actually) I was given catalogue #s from someone with a connection inside UMe for a vinyl release, a 2-CD release, and a 5-disc box set release.
Now obviously no pre-order links have materialized yet for the box set, but the pre-order links for the 2-CD and vinyl editions match the catalogue #s I got last summer, so something is definitely happening!
September is still around two months away, so there's still time for all the pieces to fall into place, and even if the releases do end up getting delayed, there's still 3 more months after September, so I really do say "Hope Springs Eternal!"

:)

Indeed. Hearing SW work his magic on this one should be awesome. Interestingly enough, there was an interview with Steven a little while back where he talked about this. He said that unlike other projects he's done, for this he only did a 5.1 mix and opted not to create a new 2.0 mix. He said that the original is absolute perfection and could not be improved on.

He's done that a few times, no? I mean, Songs From the Big Chair didn't get a stereo remix either.

Yes, it did. The stereo remix is not on CD, but it is on the DVDA-V, Blu-Ray, and (limited) vinyl release.

Really? That's weird, I couldn't find it on the Blu-Ray when I ripped it. Looking at SW's website I can see that it was done. Hmm. Still though, Misplaced Childhood was left without a stereo remix I guess.

Hmm. Still though, Misplaced Childhood was left without a stereo remix I guess.

Excerpt from SW's interview with SDE back in May 2017:
SDE: Your process is to create a stereo remix on the way to the 5.1. Why isn’t that new stereo mix of Misplaced Childhood included as part of the reissue?

SW:
The original stereo mix is absolutely the way it should be, I matched at as close as I could before doing the 5.1, but I felt nothing would be gained by including it. In the past I’ve tended to send my new stereo mix to the band/label as a kind of “oh by the way…” but I heave learned that if you do this they will always include it! (extra selling point I guess, “New Mix!”) So I’ve actually stopped delivering one if I don’t feel there’s any significant improvement or variation. For example I didn’t submit a new stereo mix for Tears For Fears “The Seeds of Love” either, it’s one of the greatest stereo mixes ever in my opinion, so I’ll only get a kicking (rightfully) from the fans if I try to go up against that! One caveat to this is that there are some cases where the label *have* to include a new stereo mix – for example with the Yes reissues, Panegyric licensed the albums from Warners on the condition that a CD with the original Eddie Offord mix would not be part of the package, and therefore be in competition with their standard CD editions. It could only be included on the blu-ray/DVD, so I had to create a new stereo mix for the CDs, and in some cases that was a tough ask, especially with Close to the Edge, where there were even a few keyboard parts missing from the tapes.

Back