Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait what? I thought Play was a live album?
We Do What We're Told and Excellent Birds are probably my favorite tracks on So. Not a favorite album at all though. Surround mixes might alter that opinion though!
I thought Passion was kind of a return to form but then he went back to MTV music again after that. I lost track afterwards.
There is "Plays Live" which is a live album from the mid-80s. "Play" is a DVD of music videos with 5.1 studio mixes. Some of them are quite good and worth checking out. If you like Passion and early 80s PG, there are 5.1 mixes for Zaar, Games without Frontiers, Biko, Shock the Monkey, I Don't Remember, and of course Solsbury Hill. Most of it is from So, Us, Up, and a couple other tracks thrown in.

There is "Plays Live" which is a live album from the mid-80s. "Play" is a DVD of music videos with 5.1 studio mixes. Some of them are quite good and worth checking out. If you like Passion and early 80s PG, there are 5.1 mixes for Zaar, Games without Frontiers, Biko, Shock the Monkey, I Don't Remember, and of course Solsbury Hill. Most of it is from So, Us, Up, and a couple other tracks thrown in.
D'oh! Looks like I am out of the loop!
OK, thanks for the heads up there!

Since the guitar tracks on Def Leppard’s HYSTERIA were recorded ONE STRING AT A TIME (!) - imagine the surround possibilities there!
:ROFLMAO:
I really feel like anything Pyromania or later would have tons of content for discrete surround. Even High N Dry would probably sound awesome!

After listening to the album on a walk last night, I found myself sorely wishing for a What’s Going On deluxe set with all of the following components:

The quad mix
5.1 of the standard album mix
And most of all, a really aggressive 5.1 of the original Detroit mix

My top 10 surround wish list, in no particular order:

Pink Floyd (anything, including solo projects)
Unicorn - either Blue Pine Trees or Too Many Crooks
Black Sabbath - either Vol. 4 or Sabotage
The Cure - Disintegration
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (I think it would work)
Peter Gabriel - Us
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Velvet Underground & Nico
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

My top 10 surround wish list, in no particular order:

Black Sabbath - either Vol. 4 or Sabotage

I have a 5.1 DVD of Black Sabbath's PARANOID that was apparently from (appropriately?) a 4.0 multichannel version.

Sounds great! The menu with its shifting pics is pretty cool. "Planet Caravan" is freakily spacey and is the best version I've ever heard.

EDIT: Oops, had to change that to PARANOID. Did see a 5.1 of Vol. 4 listed for sale once at a fearful price (most likely bootleg -- never saw it again).

Last edited:
In no order:
Radiohead (anything, but especially OK Computer, Hail To The Thief and Moon Shaped Pool)
Pink Floyd (anything, but especially Meddle and Animals)
Beatles - Revolver
Beck - Odelay
Peter Gabriel - US and III
Thomas Dolby (anything, but especially Aliens Ate My Buick)
Wilco - Star Wars and YHF

Radiohead (anything, but especially OK Computer, Hail To The Thief and Moon Shaped Pool)

I'd love that one too, but it sounds like the way it was recorded would make a surround remix really difficult.

From the Wikipedia article:
[Thom] Yorke was satisfied with the recordings made at [St. Catherine's Court], and enjoyed working without audio separation, meaning that instruments were not overdubbed separately. [Ed] O'Brien estimated that 80 percent of the album was recorded live, and said: "I hate doing overdubs, because it just doesn't feel natural. ... Something special happens when you're playing live; a lot of it is just looking at one another and knowing there are four other people making it happen."

I'd love that one too, but it sounds like the way it was recorded would make a surround remix really difficult.
Yeah...but if the guys were in the same room then maybe one could do a sort of ambient surround mix, i.e feeling of the recording space; we do that all the time in classical (esp folks like my virtual boss, Jared Sacks :) ) Obviously the mic'ing would not be the same since they were not used for that intent. Fun to dream (title of this thread) :)

Back