Music DVD Poll BADFINGER - Directors Cut [Dolby Digital]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badfinger - DIRECTORS CUT [DVD-V]

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelilty, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2-

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 1997 release from Pioneer Artists "Badfinger - Directors Cut". The soundtrack of this release is Dolby Digital 5.1 only!

It came packaged in a DVD case sized slipcase that housed a CD sized jewel box containing the DVD.

Bacfinger - Sleeve.jpg
Bacfinger - Disc.jpg

Bacfinger - JB Booklet.jpg

Bacfinger - JB Back.jpg

Recent forum discussions mentioning this 23 year old title spurred my memory and I dug this thing out to see just how "5.1" the 5.1 soundtrack of this release was. I honestly could not remember, and since it pre-dates even the original QQ, I don't think there had been much discussion here about it at all.

Well I ripped it to MKV then extracted the audio to check it out on the PC. Amazingly enough, there are actually 6 songs with 5.1 mixes! They are not "wow" mixes by any stretch. Some of the songs in the film do not use the rear channels. The six songs that do are as follows:

Come and Get It
Maybe Tomoorrow
Day After Day
Apple of my Eye (Excerpt)
Name of the Game (Alt Version) (Excerpt)
Take it All (Pretty Good 5.1 on this one)

"Come and Get It" has pretty much echo/ambience in the rears. The left front is mostly bass, the right front is almost the same audio as the center, which makes this particular mix kind of a fudge. Here's a look at the wav file:

01-CAGI WAV.jpg

"Maybe Tomorrow", their very first Apple 45, released while they were still configured as "The Ivey's", has an OK surround mix, still nothing special though.

02-MT.jpg

"Day After Day" - This one is more like "wide stereo", Not a real surround surprise, that's for sure.

03-dad.jpg

"Apple Of My Eye", their farewell song to the Beatles and their last Apple 45 and Album is only in the film for the first verse. This mix isn't bad really. It's a shame it's not the entire song.

04-aome.jpg

"Name of the Game" - This is the original version of the song that you can find on the later release CD's from Apple with the bonus tracks. It's not the version you remember from the original album. Again, the surround mix on this one is not too bad. Not great, but better than the earlier songs on this DVD. Like "Apple of My Eye", this is not the entire song.

05-notg.jpg

And finally, the last song with a 5.1 mix is "Take it All", which is a really good Badfinger/Pete Ham tune - in my book anyway. Here, the song is almost complete (It fades at 3:45) and the 5.1 is the best of the bunch.

06-tia.jpg

That's a fake. Dude probably sells copies, since he has multiples for sale. Check out the scans of his disc compared to mine in Post #1. And his listing states "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Unknown". Yeah, right.

And check out his other auctions. Most of his DVD's are of the same origin.

Although I hate seeing stuff like this, if the copyright owners kept the stuff in print the would not have this problem - or at least without such demand.

That's a fake. Dude probably sells copies, since he has multiples for sale. Check out the scans of his disc compared to mine in Post #1. And his listing states "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Unknown". Yeah, right.

And check out his other auctions. Most of his DVD's are of the same origin.

Although I hate seeing stuff like this, if the copyright owners kept the stuff in print the would not have this problem - or at least without such demand.

Actually you can take the absence of "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN" with a grain of salt...that happens a lot on Ebay...it may be copies...but he isn't the one that is making the "copies".....notice in the description it says "reissue"...I've seen this wording before with the PA/Pegasus name on the back cover...I think there is a company that makes these re-issues and some people buy them in bulk and turn around on Ebay and make a few bucks on each one...check this out

Actually you can take the absence of "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN" with a grain of salt...that happens a lot on Ebay...it may be copies...but he isn't the one that is making the "copies".....notice in the description it says "reissue"...I've seen this wording before with the PA/Pegasus name on the back cover...I think there is a company that makes these re-issues and some people buy them in bulk and turn around on Ebay and make a few bucks on each one...check this out

I don't know Clint. It sure looks fishy to me. Especially the DVD face/label. It's cropped out of the back photo with the text intact and truncated, and the little DVD logo has a black background which means the dude that did it did not even know how to make the logo background transparent and it's not centered.

Maybe it's my "old man yells at cloud" mentality. Whatever. It's the way of the eBay world these days. I should make copies of my DVD and sell them for $10 and undersell this guy! :)

j/k

I bought this DVD years ago and just dug out my copy. My copy doesn't have a slipcase. Just a regular DVD case with artwork just like the ebay listing linked above. The disc is a genuine silver disc that looks like the picture Jon provided of his. It appears that the ebay seller used the version I have to make copies. The disc artwork is a dead giveaway. I have a sneaking suspicion the bottom of that disc is purple.
Anyhow, now you've got me curious. I don't think I had a surround system when I bought this disc. I'll have to try it out.

Back