Who will replace Oppo?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what you are going to see with all these "replacements" for Oppo are machines that are geared more for the video crowd than the audio crowd and these clueless magazine/blog authors are going to endorse them as the next Oppo...there is always going to be something missing when compared to an Oppo….

Thou speaks the truth and the truth bites deep. One can wait around for the chance that there will indeed be a replacement in kind for Oppo...if they are lucky:

I think what you are going to see with all these "replacements" for Oppo are machines that are geared more for the video crowd than the audio crowd and these clueless magazine/blog authors are going to endorse them as the next Oppo...there is always going to be something missing when compared to an Oppo….
It’s like these popular branded machine manufacturers got together in a room and discussed what is relevant going forward and all of a sudden declared that since a couple of formats are dead that they’re going to stop including the ability to play them. I could see this for DVD-A but what about those discs that consumers still have in their collection and want to play, I guess, they think we all burn them to hard drives now when that’s not true. I still play most of those discs. And what about SACD? They’re still being released. I guess too, that they only want to cater to the majority now.

I’ve been thinking :unsure:. This would be the perfect time for a company such as Emotiva to fill the void of a Universal Player. Their customer service is pretty good even though I don’t see anyone stepping up the way OPPO did with their customers.

It’s like these popular branded machine manufacturers got together in a room and discussed what is relevant going forward and all of a sudden declared that since a couple of formats are dead that they’re going to stop including the ability to play them. I could see this for DVD-A but what about those discs that consumers still have in their collection and want to play, I guess, they think we all burn them to hard drives now when that’s not true. I still play most of those discs. And what about SACD? They’re still being released. I guess too, that they only want to cater to the majority now.

I’ve been thinking :unsure:. This would be the perfect time for a company such as Emotiva to fill the void of a Universal Player. Their customer service is pretty good even though I don’t see anyone stepping up the way OPPO did with their customers.

What you say is true about the actions of manufacturers...they eliminated the phono input on receivers since that format was supposedly dead...but now that vinyl is "cool" again...the input has returned...I think a problem for these companies is actually understanding the different sub sets of the audio world and what they want in a machine....I noticed a poster over at SHF mentioning that he couldn't believe that a release wasn't available in SACD ....and he didn't have a blu ray player and his contention was that the majority of people had SACD capable machines and few had blu ray players...hmm...

The biggest obstacle for a "good" company to invest in making another Oppo is simple...when you look at how good the Oppo was and the company still left the market...it's not that lucrative to invest the kind of money and more importantly the TIME to cultivate a new model in a market that has appears to have a very short shelf life...disc based machines just don't have a secure future....

What you say is true about the actions of manufacturers...they eliminated the phono input on receivers since that format was supposedly dead...but now that vinyl is "cool" again...the input has returned...I think a problem for these companies is actually understanding the different sub sets of the audio world and what they want in a machine....I noticed a poster over at SHF mentioning that he couldn't believe that a release wasn't available in SACD ....and he didn't have a blu ray player and his contention was that the majority of people had SACD capable machines and few had blu ray players...hmm...

The biggest obstacle for a "good" company to invest in making another Oppo is simple...when you look at how good the Oppo was and the company still left the market...it's not that lucrative to invest the kind of money and more importantly the TIME to cultivate a new model in a market that has appears to have a very short shelf life...disc based machines just don't have a secure future....

The REAL Question arises: Who will replace Clint Eastwood?

He has SO MANY outputs, a few choice inputs and as far as being as relevant as disc based machines: He's not into downloading but he's been uploaded into outer space so many times maybe it's time for CE to phone home!

iss-international-space-station-3D-model_0.jpg

So now with OPPO not making any more players....who as in which company is stepping up to bat for those who missed out? Is anyone or are the rest of us OUT OF LUCK

YEP! You're all out of luck. I'm sure some manufacturers will step up now that OPPO has left, IMO, a serious void in the manufacture of Universal Players but as sales of physical discs and even movies are dwindling, seriously doubt they'll be as great as those OPPOs.

YEP! You're all out of luck. I'm sure some manufacturers will step up now that OPPO has left, IMO, a serious void in the manufacture of Universal Players but as sales of physical discs and even movies are dwindling, seriously doubt they'll be as great as those OPPOs.

Isn't that what they would have said in the mid 80's, as CDs were displacing vinyl? Now we have entire catalogs of turntables. Electronics will only get better and easier to manufacture. I doubt the Oppo is the last word on universal players.

OK, it looks like there is no all-formats player that will replace the Oppo, so maybe the next option is two players. What's a good surround player that plays most digital formats (DTS, DD, DVD-A, SACD, BluRay, anything else) and a good stand-in for what it won't play?

OK, it looks like there is no all-formats player that will replace the Oppo, so maybe the next option is two players. What's a good surround player that plays most digital formats (DTS, DD, DVD-A, SACD, BluRay, anything else) and a good stand-in for what it won't play?

Pioneer n Sony seems about it for universal now...Yamaha?

U would think this "sound united" whose bought up alot of companies would be interested...they own marantz pioneer onyko etc...dont they???

I think "WE" need to be writing some manufactures perhaps...I wonder if oppo s BBK knows their 205s are going for 3-7K now????

Personally, multiple players is the route I am taking. I have a separate component CD player (an Onkyo C-7030) and several SACD capable players (Pioneer DV-79AVi, Oppo 205).

If you have a significant investment in SACD, I really think one should have a spare player. There are no guarantees that there will be some kind of SACD revival like what vinyl experienced. Why wear out one player by using it for CD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, etc.?

Personally, multiple players is the route I am taking. I have a separate component CD player (an Onkyo C-7030) and several SACD capable players (Pioneer DV-79AVi, Oppo 205).

If you have a significant investment in SACD, I really think one should have a spare player. There are no guarantees that there will be some kind of SACD revival like what vinyl experienced. Why wear out one player by using it for CD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, etc.?
As I still play a lot of CDs I recently bought a Marantz CD player to save wear and tear on my Oppos.

I'm perfectly happy with my Pioneer 563a my only issue is the lack of Flac file support and no external HD drive integration other than that it plays all the formats and works well with the vintage Sansui.

Back