DIGITAL Futzing with the HARVEST DVD-Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit late to this discussion but wanted to comment about the LFE channel having some things that shouldn't be there. From the sample Jon posted, it sounds to me like it is the bass guitar going DR through the board and the kick drum mic getting leakage from everything around it. They were playing 'as a band' and not trying to get total isolation of sounds.
Now I gotta get my copy of the DVD-A out and do the switch. Thanks!

From the sample Jon posted, it sounds to me like it is the bass guitar going DR through the board and the kick drum mic getting leakage from everything around it. They were playing 'as a band' and not trying to get total isolation of sounds.
I believe it was recorded in real time in a barn. Maybe there are some overdubs. But your assessment of the same as mine on the sound.

I might need to write up a different process than Adam in Audacity to suit the way I do it; but to get the same results. I believe it's due to the fact Adam uses an Apple version instead of Windows and also that was four years ago. The terminology on some of that may have changed and I just usually label the channel then grab it and move it, instead of all that mapping business later. :unsure:

Out of curiosity, I just checked in Quicken and found that I bought it on January 11, 2003 at Best Buy, along with the following: R.E.M. - Automatic For The People, Yes - Fragile, Queen - Night At The Opera, Steely Dan - Two Against Nature, The Police - Every Breath You Take - The Classics, and Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth. Most of those cost me $17.99 each plus tax; if only such a selection were available at that price these days!

Finally, and apologies for going more off-topic, but I couldn't find this mentioned from a QQ search I did: has anyone else found that the front and rear channels are reversed on the DVD-V of Zappa's Baby Snakes movie?

I went back and reread this thread, and thanks to Jim the Oldbie's post, I was able to create a corrected version of Harvest surround on a USB flash drive that I can play on my OPPO BDP-95. It sounds so much better!

I had used the trial version of DVD Audio Extractor a few times years ago to rip stereo mixes from DVD-A discs for my computer and iPhone, but I went ahead and plunked down the $38.50 for a lifetime license today, and pulled the surround tracks from my Harvest disc. Then per Jim and others' instructions, I used Audacity to remap the front and rear channels for tracks 1-4, 6 & 7, exported the changed versions to FLAC files, and bam, they play fine on the OPPO from the flash drive. Thanks to all who left breadcrumbs from their journey to pull this off!

Truthfully, I still find it a bit of a strange surround mix. Vocals and drums are panned hard left on several songs, and it just sounds a little off balance. Maybe Neil told Elliot that he wanted it to sound like it did when recording it in his barn, or listening from the rowboat on his lake! But in any case, I'm not complaining -- after having the disc for the better part of two decades, to be able to hear it without the authoring errors is sweet indeed.

Ive just tried the out the front/rear swap with heart of gold.

Night and day improvement. Its like everything suddenly snaps into focus.

100% preference for the modified version in a blind ab test.

Ill modify the other tracks later, Im intrigued to hear the results as Iits an album that never felt particularly satisfying in surround

Back