OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is screen burn-in still a problem with OLED TV's? That's one thing, other than price, that has kept me away from considering one.

It still happens...BUT...it's pretty rare...I know that's not a definitive answer...it's the same response I used to give to prospective plasma buyers(after plasma was out for a few years)...I think it's a lot less probable with OLED...I would say if you are a gamer...the chances are increased quite a bit and wouldn't recommend an OLED for heavy gamers...but that is just my opinion...

When I get back to my normal life... I will get an OLED tv....no reservations

Last edited:
My Sony OLED manual states it will periodically do a screen refresh to remove/limit burn in. In my case that is once in the 18 months I've had it. It does dim the channel logos automatically if it detects they don't move.

Edit: It took about 2-3 hours to complete the refresh

There is screen burn-in if you watch a lot news channels with static displays at the bottom. However you rarely see it unless there's a scene or commercial display with a light brown background. Even then it's very faint. I mean you can see it buts it's not like OMG there's screen burn-in. The first time I noticed it was when I was playing the new Birdsong in the Morning. The background was just the right color. I never see it watching movies TV shows. I have the LG OLED65E6P and watch a lot of news. I bought the TV specifically for 3D capability. It was $4K at the time. I doubt you can find better 3D performance, it's spectacular. Wish they would bring it back because I want a larger screen. Honestly you won't find a better overall PQ other than OLED. Those blacks are what makes the difference.

I’ve had a Sony 55” OLED in my living area for almost 2 years. It’s used everyday, mainly TV but we watch the occasional Netflix show and concerts from my server. Also it’s usually on if I play MCH music with Kodi (Artist Slide Show showing artist images every 10 seconds). I’d guess it on 6 or 7 hrs a day. More some days.

No sign of burn in at all.

This (and my 77” OLED in my media room) has the best picture quality of any TV I’ve ever owned, including the famous Pioneer Kuro plasma.

Great thread, I just started studying about TV's this past week, looking forward to reading more here, and yes, I have read burn in is almost non existent now compared to 3-4 years ago.
I’ve had a Sony 55” OLED in my living area for almost 2 years. It’s used everyday, mainly TV but we watch the occasional Netflix show and concerts from my server. Also it’s usually on if I play MCH music with Kodi (Artist Slide Show showing artist images every 10 seconds). I’d guess it on 6 or 7 hrs a day. More some days.

No sign of burn in at all.

This (and my 77” OLED in my media room) has the best picture quality of any TV I’ve ever owned, including the famous Pioneer Kuro plasma.

I've had my LG Curved 3D Monitor in my bedroom for the past 4 years and must concur with Homer......BEST TV I've ever owned. And the 3D is simply astounding. I've never experienced burn in.

I have a new SONY 4K Laser 3D projector on order and have installed a 120" Stewart Filmscreen but because of Covid~19, installion of my new ALL Meridian sound system is on hold.

I also agree with Jeff [Jefe] that cessation of 3D should never have occurred since the addition of 3D only cost the manufacturers a few dollars more. Ironically, OLED 3D finally perfected the format for home video with dazzling clarity and an uncanny ability to project the image to within inches of your face and they pulled the plug. And to this day, 3D videos are still being released, mostly in Europe [usually ALL region] but the titles are mostly either Marvel, DC or Disney animation titles. But to my eyes and on OLED screens, most of them look like Native UHD4K discs!

MOST probably the final nail in 3D's coffin:

http://4k.com/news/blu-ray-to-supposedly-exclude-3d-from-4k-resolution-in-media-players-5379/

Last edited:
Yes bring back 3D please. Hide it in the specs just put it back!

If they would have waited to release 3D now...they would have been able to have passive 3D...with OLED panels and 4k...you would not get the crosstalk associated with active 3D...and the most important aspect...the glasses would be so much more comfortable and less problematic...that is what killed it for me...those active glasses....uncomfortable to say the least...just a matter of poor timing....

Last edited:
This guy FOMO on You Tube is all over the subject of TV's very informative. FOMO YOU TUBE
I watched a video last night from him and he hinted that is not really the time for 8K buying just yet. He said always get the size you want and don't look at specs too much as they can be misleading.
Here is his 2020 Guide 2020 Guide

IMO, 8K would definitely be OVERKILL for the home. For large projection screens at Concerts and Sporting Events.....probably the IDEAL application. Supposedly, for the 2021 Summer Olympics in Japan, the NHK broadcasting company will stream it in 8K but as most movies today are still shot in 4K or 6K and 35mm films from the past/present are more than ably represented by 4K, and the fact that a major portion of the worldwide population hasn't even upgraded to 4K much less even Blu Ray, I wouldn't place any bets NATIVE 8K will be the standard any time soon.

As for OLED ....... the best of the BEST ....at least for now!

This guy FOMO on You Tube is all over the subject of TV's very informative. FOMO YOU TUBE
I watched a video last night from him and he hinted that is not really the time for 8K buying just yet. He said always get the size you want and don't look at specs too much as they can be misleading.
Here is his 2020 Guide 2020 Guide

Unless you live in Japan...8k is useless...there is no content and there won't be anything...it's just marketing...just more pixels

Clint you have passive 3D now and it looks great.
Passive 3D glasses are very lightweight. I dont see the big deal about them. I already wear glasses for driving and watching movies. It's nothing to wear the additional pair of glasses.
I think its a media driven argument made to get people to buy 4K tvs and movies and eliminate a competing format. Maybe.

Now I agree about the heavier motorized active glasses.
When I was shopping for TVs I never liked the active 3D sets the picture was always too dark. Passive 3D looked so much better. I think if the Avatar sequels had come out when they were supposed to.. will they ever....they might have saved it

I have an early sony 4K tv that does passive 3D and I prefer good 3D over a 4k version. Granted my set does not do HDR or Dolby vision.but you get full HD with 3D.

Unbelievable that they purposely kept 3D out of 4K specs very easy to have designed it in
Its a big middle finger to the consumer.

Is there a paralell with quad history here?

Back