Dutton Vocalion August 2020 Surround Sound SACDs (6)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there anymore Blue Note quads? Or is this it?

I think the only one left is Lou Donaldson's Sassy Soul Strut.

Lou Donaldson Q8.jpg

Having seen the quad master tape, I can confirm that the (previously uncredited) quad mix for Donald Byrd's Street Lady was done by John Stronach (who also did the quad mix for Sly and the Family Stone's Small Talk) at the Record Plant. Stronach also produced Joe Walsh's So What album (which apparently had a shelved quad mix) the year after this album was recorded.

For some reason Black Byrd has always had a much higher profile than this album - it's been a while since I've heard the Q8, but my recollection is that I liked the mix on Street Lady more. I definitely find the songs and arrangements more exciting and entertaining, perhaps having played in this new 'jazz-funk' style for a full year or so by the time this album was recorded finds Byrd more fully in command of it.

the Company mix is ridiculous (in all the right ways!!) with stuff popping up all over the place!

CBS used a bit of it in several Quad demos to show off SQ..

Bobby
Bobby
Bobby Baby
Robert darling
Bobby we've been trying to call you!!!!

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😝🤯😁
Yes, I remember it from side 1 of the Columbia SQ demo disc. They say that it puts you in the middle of the stage...so true. I will have to get at least this one.

Good to see more output from D-V, and more reaching back into the Columbia treasury. I have listened to the Q8 of Chorus Line many times since buying it in a store in 1975 or so in Virginia Beach as a way to keep the heat off of my quad purchasing because this one was for my wife! We saw at the local Bush Gardens a guy perform "I Can Do That" at some outdoor venue and she liked the tune, which we found out was from this play, which we eventually saw on Broadway, etc etc.

Consequently many years later, when the SACD came out, I bought that and was surprised that although it had some sections of tunes that were edited out of the original, it had a "Stage Front" mix instead of the enveloping quadraphonic mix, which was a disappointment.

So, for those into this stuff, the D-V Quadraphonic SACD is a must have. Mind you, "A Chorus Line" is not going to be a title that many here are going to be looking for, but for those with interest, this is a must buy. Once you hear it, you will put away that Sony SACD for good.

Good to see more output from D-V, and more reaching back into the Columbia treasury. I have listened to the Q8 of Chorus Line many times since buying it in a store in 1975 or so in Virginia Beach as a way to keep the heat off of my quad purchasing because this one was for my wife! We saw at the local Bush Gardens a guy perform "I Can Do That" at some outdoor venue and she liked the tune, which we found out was from this play, which we eventually saw on Broadway, etc etc.

Consequently many years later, when the SACD came out, I bought that and was surprised that although it had some sections of tunes that were edited out of the original, it had a "Stage Front" mix instead of the enveloping quadraphonic mix, which was a disappointment.

So, for those into this stuff, the D-V Quadraphonic SACD is a must have. Mind you, "A Chorus Line" is not going to be a title that many here are going to be looking for, but for those with interest, this is a must buy. Once you hear it, you will put away that Sony SACD for good.
Is the D-V version a full version, nothing edited out? I may have to spring for this to get the Quad version. The SACD always sounded bright and harsh to me.

Is the D-V version a full version, nothing edited out? I may have to spring for this to get the Quad version. The SACD always sounded bright and harsh to me.

The D-V version is what Columbia issued in 1975 (or whatever). One of the songs does not have one section in it, I think it's "Hello Love". It's a section about one of the actors being gay. I think they thought it was too much for the general public back then.

Someone who really knows this material should chime in because I am certainly no expert on Broadway shows.

I'm a little disappointed. I can't say anything here is in my wheelhouse. Oh well. Hope the next batch brings something better.

not even Street Lady?
i'm not totally thrilled about this little lot but i'll be getting that one at least.. its handy because i never got around to playing the Q8 before my Akai went tits up and now i don't have to care anymore! 😂

The D-V version is what Columbia issued in 1975 (or whatever). One of the songs does not have one section in it, I think it's "Hello Love". It's a section about one of the actors being gay. I think they thought it was too much for the general public back then.

Someone who really knows this material should chime in because I am certainly no expert on Broadway shows.

now the producers would probably be falling over themselves to make sure that bit was included! how times have changed! 😂

Back