Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's becoming clear I could plop myself down at your place & be very happy at whatever you choose to play movies or music.

For my older SiL I got this for his last Birthday
View attachment 54659

He has a Oppo 205 so he can play 4K but "only" a high end Sony 1080 projector. General consensus is that 4K downscaled to regular HD still looks better than basic HD source. We've never got around to testing or watching it....

But in return for last Xmas he gifted me this:
View attachment 54660

And hoping SW that little rug didn't come with a nasty yellow stain!

Coming September 8th from LIONGATE [HDR10/DOLBY VISION/ENGLISH/JAPANESE DOLBY ATMOS]

12021_tn.jpg

well, when you plop down, you'll prolly be enjoying something you recommended to me! When you described Paprika as "so psychedelic and fun," i knew i had to see it--the blu ray was only $10, so i bit--and now i'm bitten! ima be watching this one again and again; not only because it is psychedelic and fun (with a wonderfully immersive 5.1 soundtrack!), but because it is also surreal and challenging! Thank you SO much for turning me on to this delight
View attachment 54692
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Paprika-Blu-ray/588/#Review
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews34/paprika_blu-ray.htmhttps://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31685/paprika/
Yeah it's hard to go wrong recommending Kon's work as it is a perfect example of excellent anime for adults.
It's been a few years since I've watched this & I don't remember what the surround sound was like, so I'll put it in my watch soon pile.

Coming September 8th from LIONGATE [HDR10/DOLBY VISION/ENGLISH/JAPANESE DOLBY ATMOS]

12021_tn.jpg
Methinks GitS has already been released in 4K about a year ago but I don't remember if that was a Japanese or domestic release. I guess the big draw here is ATMOS & Dolby Vision. the movie was also release a few (or more) years ago with key visual scenes re-done in CG. I liked it but most others didn't. I wonder which version they will use on this one?

They sure glammed up The Major for the new cover!
Edit: BTW my avatar is The Chief from Section 9. On the new cover lower left.

Last edited:
Anybody seen this movie, looks interesting and It’s got Miss Eva Green in it, always a draw for me.

https://apple.news/AszdzMniOSiqfYY8S7rXEvQ
Nope I haven't seen it & It's not on Netflix (probably VUDU) so I'll keep checking for it. Only movie I can think of with Eva Green was her Vesper role in a James Bond film. Quite memorable.

The film only grossed a paltry $600K worldwide.I can't find what the production budget was but I'm sure it's one of the smaller films for cost. Still I'm sure they didn't break even. But I think this is the film of the future in the sense that mega-blockbuster movies are on the wane. Look at the new Top Gun with a budget of $150 million & they can't even get it into theaters. Movie studios are going to be more cautious about things like that in the future. I see the chance for content & creativity to triumph over BOOM BOOM SFX.

Damn! Maybe there will be a Kubrick 4K UHD box set in the not-too-distant future . . . until then, i'll be dining on oysters and snails and washing them down with red rum!

For the price of oysters, escargot and red rum [MURDER he wrote] just spring for the under $20 UHD4K remaster of Spartacus.....which of course, Kubrick famously disowned, as he clashed on the set with Kirk Douglas and even Russell Metty, his cinematographer.

Upon finishing Spartacus, Stanley vowed never ever again to work under the Hollywood Studio System and moved to the UK.

BTW, the always difficult Kirk Douglas, who actually made Spartacus because he wasn't offered Charlton Heston's role in Ben Hur, replaced original director Anthony Mann with Kubrick as he formerly worked with Stanley on Paths of Glory!

See the source image

Last edited:

12021_tn.jpg

so since I'm the last man standing on earth that has never seen Ghost in the Shell, EITHER the animated film nor the Scarlett Johansson film, can someone tell me what the fuss is about?

I did enjoy Lucy quite well so if it's like that, and I'm guessing it is, then I think I would probably enjoy it?

so since I'm the last man standing on earth that has never seen Ghost in the Shell, EITHER the animated film nor the Scarlett Johansson film, can someone tell me what the fuss is about?

I did enjoy Lucy quite well so if it's like that, and I'm guessing it is, then I think I would probably enjoy it?

Well, the last man on earth has company. Never seen it either. I also enjoyed LUCY........It was Juice!

BTW, NOT a Movie but the Second Season of the Umbrella Academy is now streaming on NETFLIX. It's 4K and the 5.1 Soundtrack is quite simply Amazing.

Based on the first episode of Season Two ...... I think we're going to be needing a BIGGER UMBRELLA!

See the source image

Last edited:
BTW, Pupster, stop being stingy with your (y):love::ROFLMAO:reaction scores when I enact my magnificent posts.

Have they taught you NOTHING in OBEDIENCE SCHOOL?🐶
(y) What... don’t have enough points yet Ralphie?
Your posts are magnificent usually, enough so that the standard curve for a reaction has gone waaaay up :rolleyes:

A Dazzling 4K restoration from Criterion of the H G Well's Classic
This started streaming in 4K HDR a few years ago, from presumably the same 2018 4K restoration. The streaming audio was in 3.0 sound (L-C-R). It looked and sounded pretty good.

Criterion has been rumored to be releasing in UHD for a while now, but still nothing.

This started streaming in 4K HDR a few years ago, from presumably the same 2018 4K restoration. The streaming audio was in 3.0 sound (L-C-R). It looked and sounded pretty good.

Criterion has been rumored to be releasing in UHD for a while now, but still nothing.

The audio on the Criterion WOTW was 5.1 and it has been said that by year's end, Criterion will be releasing their first Native UHD4K movie ..... no titles were mentioned, however.

The audio on the Criterion WOTW was 5.1...
Yes, I saw the new release was in 5.1, so I wondered if they could possibly have the original stems archived from a 1953 movie. Maybe they just threw some modern ambient foley into the rears, and kept the front the same.

...and it has been said that by year's end, Criterion will be releasing their first Native UHD4K movie ..... no titles were mentioned, however.
I've heard this for so long now, I'll believe it when I see it! (Sadly, this is my same response to a ever seeing a proper release of "The Abyss", despite a decade of rumors).

Back