Backing up 5.1 collection for a dummy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DVD-Fab should work for your DVD Audio discs (I can't imagine you'd have too many).

BTW--the above poster is right. Watermarking is a tricky thing to navigate with DVD-Audio backup. I *think* DVD-Fab removes this if you use the clone disc function, but not 100% sure.

100% true, DVD fab does remove the watermark, which is why I use it to back up all my DVD-A discs.

But there are problematic discs, like the Doors Perception box set that can "fool" DVD fab and you just need to keep trying different combinations of versions of DVD fab combined with different optical drives. It took me quite a while to rip that entire box set but now that I'm successful in the end I never have to worry about disc rot again.

The beauty of DVD fab is you can download a new version and try it for free for 30 days so if you can rip all your discs in 30 days it's essentially free and DVD fab does not put their own watermark on the free edition like some other software does.

New to this thread. Here is my situation. I have successfully made copies of my DTS CDs (Clapton, Sting, Steely Dan, McCartney, Altman Bro’s, etc). That was easy enough - rip and burn with Nero. So I have a copy each for my two surround set ups on different floors of my house. So I decided to try to do the same with my DualDiscs and DVD-As. I ripped using DVD Audio Extractor using the make DTS CD option. I started off with DualDisc Talking Heads 77 and DVD-A A Night at the Opera. They ripped to a cue file and dtswav file. Then using ImgBurn I burned to CD. I get 5.1 on the CD but there are annoying blips throughout. Tried different burner with same results. CD-Rs look clean without scratches. Images were stored to clean partition of HD. Any ideas? Both of my receivers are oldish and not connected to Internet or computers so making discs like I did with the DTS CDs seemed like the best option. Thanks.

OK Snood not too bright and be pretty stoopid..........but why not rip your dvd-a and Dualdisc as flac 5.1 hi res and perhaps burn to DVD-R? :unsure:

OK Snood not too bright and be pretty stoopid..........but why not rip your dvd-a and Dualdisc as flac 5.1 hi res and perhaps burn to DVD-R? :unsure:

I must be stoopider.... But why not just put the FLACs on a hard drive, copy the hard drive and you’d have two identical sets to play in two rooms. Burning and playing discs is a nightmare (I used to have).

Last edited:
I have older 5.1 receivers and players that can’t accept USB/HD input. So I’ve ripped the individual tracks to FLAC files. Do I just burn these to a DVD like a data disc? Thanks.

Hmm, what players do you have?

that's just it, if the disc player connects to the AVR why not just connect an external hard disc (SSD prefered for full silence) and just play the flacs off the SSD connected to the disc drive player. Pretty much all disc players in the last 8 years accept usb connected hard disc drives. Even oppos as far back as the 93 accept usb external drives.

that's just it, if the disc player connects to the AVR why not just connect an external hard disc (SSD prefered for full silence) and just play the flacs off the SSD connected to the disc drive player. Pretty much all disc players in the last 8 years accept usb connected hard disc drives. Even oppos as far back as the 93 accept usb external drives.
Probably because his is an older player and doesn't accept USB (as said), like my old Denon DVD-3910.

You can buy HDMI to Digital extractors. That my be an option? A modern BD player or DVD player with HDMI to a TV and extract digital to old AVR.

Is there a limitation? 5.1 at 96/24 should be ok, the old DTS 96/24 ran on digital coax and toslink.

If you’re referring to the example Extractor then no.

The RCA is for stereo analog extraction from HDMI (I assume for those without a digital input)

Okay. Ripped REM Automatic for the People to FLAC 6 channel. Burned files to DVD. Popped it into my Samsung Blu-Ray player that plays Blu-rays/DVD-As fine in 5.1 (DTS). The files showed up alright on the screen but will only play in pseudo surround Dolby Pro Logic. Ugh!

Okay. Ripped REM Automatic for the People to FLAC 6 channel. Burned files to DVD. Popped it into my Samsung Blu-Ray player that plays Blu-rays/DVD-As fine in 5.1 (DTS). The files showed up alright on the screen but will only play in pseudo surround Dolby Pro Logic. Ugh!

That usually means it's playing stereo files, or playing only the front two channels of a 6ch file.

Okay. Ripped REM Automatic for the People to FLAC 6 channel. Burned files to DVD.

Maybe try WAV files instead of FLAC and some AVRs won’t play MCH FLAC files.

I’m not sure why you want to rip a disc to a disc. You should aim to play everything from files not discs. Free yourself from being locked to discs and buying expensive disc players forever!

Back