Anybody have GREAT things to say about SONY UBP X800E?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sony X800 is ok just dont plan on using it for Quad Dsotm or Wywh, it won't do it

Or Dolby Vision which has been a HUGE panacea to the enjoyment of the UHD4K format!

See the source image

SONY X800 NO CAN DO!

Great 4K player and universal plays everything manufactured. My only criticism is it does lock up on occasion (both video and audio discs) and then you have to power down and sometimes unplug and plug back in.
My Sony 3700 did the same thing. It seems it only happened when I had the built-in wifi active. As long as I don't use that, it's fine.

I have the UBP-X800 and UBP-X1000ES and both have been great. Both are connected to a MoCA network by ethernet cable and I don't use either for streaming Netflix or other streaming service, no issues with lock ups although I have read others have the issue without knowing how their players are connected. Certainly the players shouldn't lock up regardless of connection method and at this late date, I don't think Sony will ever be able to fix the issue for those that have it. In the US the models adding Dolby Vision are the UBP-X800M2 and UBP-X1100ES, I have no experience with those and don't have a Dolby Vision capable display.

As far as the UBP-X800E being region free, if that is true, I would think it must be as a result of a third party hardware modification. There are companies that modify these players for all-region playback, including the 800M2 and 1100ES, I would suggest buying a DV capable player if buying a player modified for all-region playback. If Sony is offering players with 0-9 region DVD and ABC region Blu-ray playback out of the box, that would be stunning. When I saw the UBP-X800E model name, I assumed that was a European version of the UBP-X800.

I didn't buy an Oppo 4K player, when I had a chance at release date when prices were much lower and regret it, but I do have an Oppo BDP-93 which works great. Since Sony is still in the universal disc player market, I think buying Sony makes the most sense today. At the price, I don't think Sony has any competition.

No luck here playing DSOTM immersion quad on blu ray, the Sony sends 2.0 for some weird reason.
That's odd.
Mine is one of the early models, I'd better not ever upgrade the firmware.

Could there be a difference between US and Euro Immersion BD versions?
Which do you have?

I thought both the player and the AVR/Pre-pro had to be capable of playing 4.0. If either is not, you get stereo.

I thought both the player and the AVR/Pre-pro had to be capable of playing 4.0. If either is not, you get stereo.
No, AFAIK, the player has to send the proper signal to the AVR. DSOTM being the example here, my Oppo-93 via Onkyo TX-RZ810 no problem with Quad Immersion. The Sony via RZ810...:poop:

To those who are only getting stereo from pink floyd blu-ray surround discs- I don't own those, but I have some titles that my Integra receiver sees as 'stereo' even when the surround stream is selected on the blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-83 or Sony BDPS6700). At the risk of articulating the obvious, hitting the 'surround' button on the receiver's remote fixes this for me. Among the blu-ray discs I have to do this for are Beck's 'Sea Change', the 2L discs I own, and the Modern Mandolin Quartet's 'Americana'. These are all 192kHz 5.1 discs, maybe it's a glitch in my particular receiver's HDMI implementation but all/most other discs are correctly identified as 5.1 or 7.1 by my Integra receiver, which then switches to surround mode. BTW, my 6700 seems to do the same occasional blackout/freeze that the x800 does, hasn't been enough of a problem for me to return it.

To those who are only getting stereo from pink floyd blu-ray surround discs- I don't own those, but I have some titles that my Integra receiver sees as 'stereo' even when the surround stream is selected on the blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-83 or Sony BDPS6700). At the risk of articulating the obvious, hitting the 'surround' button on the receiver's remote fixes this for me. Among the blu-ray discs I have to do this for are Beck's 'Sea Change', the 2L discs I own, and the Modern Mandolin Quartet's 'Americana'. These are all 192kHz 5.1 discs, maybe it's a glitch in my particular receiver's HDMI implementation but all/most other discs are correctly identified as 5.1 or 7.1 by my Integra receiver, which then switches to surround mode. BTW, my 6700 seems to do the same occasional blackout/freeze that the x800 does, hasn't been enough of a problem for me to return it.
Interestingly enough...your post made me remember that when I play the DSOTM Blu ray on the Sony X800 and select the 4.0 quad, everything in my chain recognizes as such...but plays 2.0 stereo. Even if I cycle through the surround modes...dolby, dts, 7 channel stereo, orchestra, etc, still only 2.0 stereo.

input-output1.jpg

RZ810-display1.jpg

My problem is only w the Quad dsotm n wywh but full disclosure that's using the Sony x800 connected via COAX and it plays in 5.1 instead of Quad...my avr is old No hdmi input,
When using oppo its connected via analog rca s

Back