Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they're just going to release it in dribs and drabs each month to keep everyone hooked so not sure what one more month will bring.
Exactly what they did with MQA (Masters) at the beginning. But in this case, Atmos music is not simply taking the stereo master and encoding to MQA. So more complex and I would agree, we'll keep getting Atmos music but it may be slow as a snail.

Apologies as I am sure this has been answered already in the 45 pages of this thread but:

I am buying an Atmos capable receiver this week however I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. Will the Tidal Atmos music play via my Apple TV 4K and be downsampled to 5.1 ?

Thanks

Will the Tidal Atmos music play via my Apple TV 4K and be downsampled to 5.1 ?

If you configure the the AVR to have Atmos speakers (5.1.2) then you’ll hear 5.1 but it won’t down mix the height channels into your 5.1 speakers.

Yes. I believe the AppleTV will only play Atmos if the HDMI AVR handshake says It can play Atmos’. So that probably means you’ve got to set the AVR to have Atmos speakers attached. Even though you don’t have Atmos heights. You can set it to 5.1.2.

You can try without but I’m pretty sure everything in the output chain must be Atmos capable and Atmos enabled.

Apologies as I am sure this has been answered already in the 45 pages of this thread but:

I am buying an Atmos capable receiver this week however I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. Will the Tidal Atmos music play via my Apple TV 4K and be downsampled to 5.1 ?

Thanks

I'm playing Tidal Atmos with Fire TV 4K, with Atmos AVR.

But in my second summer house I have only 5.1 AVR. I couldn't play Atmos from Fire TV 4K Tidal, and stereo signal was sent by Tidal.

I then bring my Vertex2 from the first house and, then Fire TV 4K Tidal recognize full Audio EDID and then play Atmos.

Tidal sends Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus, and my not Atmos AVR recognize and play Dolby Digital+ 5.1 multichannel. Not Atmos, but good multichannel listening from Tidal Atmos tracks.

It would be good that Tidal would offer 5.1 multichannel music, not only Stereo and the few Atmos.

In your case, if you configure your new AVR with Atmos 5.1.2, I expect TIDAL will recognize it and send the Atmos signal. But in this case you will lose the height speakers channels. There is no such downsampling to 5.1. Perhaps you could setup a listening option in your AVR to play multichannel 5.1, instead of Atmos, and still Tidal would send the Atmos signal, but I don't know if that would happen.

I'm playing Tidal Atmos with Fire TV 4K, with Atmos AVR.

But in my second summer house I have only 5.1 AVR. I couldn't play Atmos from Fire TV 4K Tidal, and stereo signal was sent by Tidal.

I then bring my Vertex2 from the first house and, then Fire TV 4K Tidal recognize full Audio EDID and then play Atmos.

Tidal sends Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus, and my not Atmos AVR recognize and play Dolby Digital+ 5.1 multichannel. Not Atmos, but good multichannel listening from Tidal Atmos tracks.

It would be good that Tidal would offer 5.1 multichannel music, not only Stereo and the few Atmos.

In your case, if you configure your new AVR with Atmos 5.1.2, I expect TIDAL will recognize it and send the Atmos signal. But in this case you will lose the height speakers channels. There is no such downsampling to 5.1. Perhaps you could setup a listening option in your AVR to play multichannel 5.1, instead of Atmos, and still Tidal would send the Atmos signal, but I don't know if that would happen.
Call me “cynical” but I believe it’s a concerted effort to frustrate us poor 5.1 only listeners with older gear; to fully embrace legit Atmos (height speakers & AVRs) so they can sell us on upgrading and also to sell the whole idea of Atmos. Remember, it’s a many layered consortium of businesses. Have a nice day all you consumers :)

Thanks

I configured my Atmos AVR (Marantz/Denon) to a quad speaker setup (no center, subwoofer, and height channels).
I restarted the Apple 4K TV -- this is when the Apple will try to detect if the AVR is Atmos-capable.
In this case, the Apple 4K TV detected that the receiver is Atmos capable, even if the speaker configuration is quad .
The Apple doesn't know / doesn't care about the speaker configuration -- it only knows that the AVR is Atmos capable.

You can tell if the Apple 4K TV detected an Atmos receiver if there's an option in the Audio settings in the Apple to enable / disable Atmos.

When I play an Atmos track on Tidal, the AVR receives an Atmos signal and 'renders' the Atmos signal to the current speaker configuration (quad) -- see below:

Atmos_Atmos.jpg

With the Apple 4K TV, there's an option to disable Atmos, and set the format to Dolby Digital 5.1.
In this case, the Apple 4k TV sends a Dolby Digital 5.1, and the AVR 'renders' the 5.1 signal to the current speaker configuration (quad).
The Tidal app will display a message "Playing in stereo", but it actually sends a discrete 5.1 signal.

In both cases, the audio from the height channels are downmixed to the 'floor' quad speakers.

Atmos_DD51.jpg

Last edited:
What a surprise! Magnificat appeared out of the blue in the middle of the Atmos albums in Tidal. I've got the Blu-ray and it's stunning. If Ecce enim does not make your hairs stand on one end, you're not alive! The effect of the choir and the lead vocalist when she enters in the Atmos picture is worth the 20 euros per month of Tidal subscription.
Please give it a try, really loud and tell me what you think. It's late here to compare Tidal Atmos with the Blu-ray, but I hope it will not deceive you

What a surprise! Magnificat appeared out of the blue in the middle of the Atmos albums in Tidal. I've got the Blu-ray and it's stunning. If Ecce enim does not make your hairs stand on one end, you're not alive! The effect of the choir and the lead vocalist when she enters in the Atmos picture is worth the 20 euros per month of Tidal subscription.
Please give it a try, really loud and tell me what you think. It's late here to compare Tidal Atmos with the Blu-ray, but I hope it will not deceive you

Whoa--looks like other albums by Trondheimsolistene are there, too--and other albums on 2L (hopefully in Atmos?). This could be a significant breakthrough...

Magnificat and it's follow-up Lux are both bad-ass. Mass for Modern Man is my favorite album from 2L, so far, though.

I configured my Atmos AVR (Marantz/Denon) to a quad speaker setup (no center, subwoofer, and height channels).
I restarted the Apple 4K TV -- this is when the Apple will try to detect if the AVR is Atmos-capable.
In this case, the Apple 4K TV detected that the receiver is Atmos capable, even if the speaker configuration is quad .
The Apple doesn't know / doesn't care about the speaker configuration -- it only knows that the AVR is Atmos capable.

This is exactly 100% correct. As long as all devices are Atmos capable you will get some incarnation of the Atmos mix, even if it is mixed down to 4.0, 5.1 or in my case 7.1 ... OR

It's also how they can claim to produce Atmos via this and you can listen on one of these:
AES1.jpeg

This is exactly 100% correct. As long as all devices are Atmos capable you will get some incarnation of the Atmos mix, even if it is mixed down to 4.0, 5.1 or in my case 7.1 ... OR

It's also how they can claim to produce Atmos via this and you can listen on one of these:
View attachment 54833
So to be clear (for me anyway) if you have an alexa echostudio and an Apple 4K TV box; you can have the Apple 4K TV recognize the quasi-Atmos of the echostudio just for set-up purposes, for say my non-Atmos AVR with only 5.1 speakers, in order to hear the a legitimate Atmos mix downmixed. Or, do you only need the Apple 4K TV to accomplish that, as per @bracelis' post above?
Or, does my AVR have to be Atmos capable?

So to be clear (for me anyway) if you have an alexa echostudio and an Apple 4K TV box; you can have the Apple 4K TV recognize the quasi-Atmos of the echostudio just for set-up purposes, for say my non-Atmos AVR with only 5.1 speakers, in order to hear the a legitimate Atmos mix downmixed. Or, do you only need the Apple 4K TV to accomplish that, as per @bracelis' post above?
Or, does my AVR have to be Atmos capable?
AFAIK, The Echo Studio works in conjunction with Amazon Music HD via a Fire device (WiFi) and that is the only way to get Atmos music via Amazon Music. From my recollections, there is not a way to hook up an ATV4k to an Echo Studio.

Whoa--looks like other albums by Trondheimsolistene are there, too--and other albums on 2L (hopefully in Atmos?). This could be a significant breakthrough...

Following up. Long story short: I think my hopes have been dashed. First the good news: lots of 2L. For instance: here's a 2L sampler:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/2400318
Here's Northern Timbre, a collection of violin & piano pieces by Grieg, Sibelius, and Nielsen:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/73484050
And here's Mass for Modern Man (which Baggy referenced upthread):
https://tidal.com/browse/album/70889190
Finally, most of Trondheimsolistene's albums on 2L include Atmos mixes (though their albums on other labels don't):
https://tidal.com/browse/artist/20269
BUT: the Atmos mixes of the above albums don't seem to be available on TIDAL--at least not in the US. Foiled again...

@César , can you send a link for the version of Magnificat that you discovered? Maybe 2L has only licensed the Atmos mixes for TIDAL in Europe?

Last edited:
https://tidal.com/album/150745842
Here is the link
Amazing that Tidal have no way of marketing or highlighting what they are doing in Atmos.

Unless there is something I've missed
I've been browsing the rest of 2L catalogue in Tidal and so far Magnificat is the only one available in Atmos.
If I were them, I would have a newsletter or something similar to announce every week the new releases. All this lack of promotion worries me, as the same silent mode can be applied to remove the Atmos track if they don't reach a certain number of clicks, just guessing

I've been browsing the rest of 2L catalogue in Tidal and so far Magnificat is the only one available in Atmos.
If I were them, I would have a newsletter or something similar to announce every week the new releases. All this lack of promotion worries me, as the same silent mode can be applied to remove the Atmos track if they don't reach a certain number of clicks, just guessing
I'm listening to it now. Agree with your comments. Maybe they never have promoted Tidal, in how we think they should. Time to ask them a few questions.
By the way, this is a beautiful album. Just got Lux as well, so will give that a play later.

Back