Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added a comment to The Second Disc in response to that curmudgeon:

"The key here is not desperation but wanting the best possible sound quality that we can get. Here is a great opportunity not only to have stereo versions at 192/24 but also the 4 channel mixes from the master tapes. The last time any of these albums had audiophile treatment was the fantastic DVD-audio of The Captain and Me, now long out of print, not easy to find. In addition, the Quad mixes to these albums were no joke, fully discrete all 4 channels lighting up the sound stage. But even for someone not interested in the Quad, this stereo version of these will likely be the best we will ever get of these albums, bar none."

............. and we have paid in £ what you lucky soles on the other side of the pond pay in $, and its worth it! :)

Well, Dunc, we're ALL taking a £~ing from this Covid 19 thingy, but gratifying that an endangered species like QUAD is being REGENERATED by another endangered species .....the RHINO!

See the source image

I added a comment to The Second Disc in response to that curmudgeon:

"The key here is not desperation but wanting the best possible sound quality that we can get. Here is a great opportunity not only to have stereo versions at 192/24 but also the 4 channel mixes from the master tapes. The last time any of these albums had audiophile treatment was the fantastic DVD-audio of The Captain and Me, now long out of print, not easy to find. In addition, the Quad mixes to these albums were no joke, fully discrete all 4 channels lighting up the sound stage. But even for someone not interested in the Quad, this stereo version of these will likely be the best we will ever get of these albums, bar none."

A BRILLIANT rebuttal, Eric. I was likewise gratified that not only are the Stereo remasters 24/192 but the 15 ips QUAD remixes, as well. And QQ Forum must be doing something right as this 4.0/5.1 and NOW, Dolby Atmos fervor is spreading throughout the globe and there's certainly enough space on Planet Earth for both Stereo and Surround to co~exist ..... FOREVER!

Last edited:
You all see the first entry in the comments section (these are external) immediately after/below the article on Second Disc?

Quote (ouch):

You have to be pretty desperate for surround treatments of classic albums to want 40-year-old mixes of these, or releases by any of the other bands subjected to this kind of exploitation. The 4-channel mixes created in the late ’70s were more of a gimmick than anything else, probably goaded on by a few key hi-fi manufacturers. But anything Rhino finds on a shelf must be considered for its commercial value, I suppose.

The "exploitation" AND "gimmick" card in the same post! I can't stop smiling. That is a classic! Hopefully it doesn't get deleted and we can link it for comedy in the years to come.

Back