Is Amazon Dropping Dolby Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps they're in the middle of negotiations for some kind of licensing deal and are using the temporary cessation as a leverage device?
Yes, that crossed my mind too, Pups. Although I wonder if it's also linked to Tidal getting a march on them with their streaming of Dolby Atmos.
All very intriguing.

The cynic in me says it'll be available for a Super Prime monthly fee!

They really don't like it when you don't take Prime, every order has an entreaty "you are missing out on...." the AI hasn't sussed out I don't care :LOL:
Yeah, they donā€™t like non-primers like me. The fact that I can simply take my business elsewhere pleases me no end.

The cynic in me says it'll be available for a Super Prime monthly fee!

They really don't like it when you don't take Prime, every order has an entreaty "you are missing out on...." the AI hasn't sussed out I don't care :LOL:

For myself, Amazon PRIME is ESSENTIAL. I place hundreds of orders a year which ensures free shipping and Amazon Prime Video is loaded with content that I'd ordinarily buy on either BD~V or even DVD. And the broadcast quality is amazing.

I believe my FIOS 'package' is over $400 a month...especially with my upgraded internet service. Oh well, my business is paying for that and Prime anyway ...so a great write off.

It used to be I WANT MY MTV .... but the new BATTLECRY IS: I NEED MY AMAZON PRIME!

Last edited:
when I first joined Prime years ago it was like $35/year

now it's like $125/year

The shipping rates haven't really changed that much (for amazon) so the difference is the amount amazon pours into everything else included in Prime

Last edited:
But the real beauty of Amazon Prime as regarding free s/h .... there is NO minimum purchase like almost every other online vendor and items as low as $5, even less, ship for Free.

true but the $35 minimum for same day does kinda suck, considering it's already at the local fulfillment center.

Basically, amazon is charging you that minimum for use of their expert algorithm of pre-provisioning certain items to your local warehouse, which is fair, just sucks.

I'm letting my Prime go at the next renewal. Their COVID-19 shipping times have continued to be just as long as smaller company's normal shipping times. Most of what I want to stream is not free with Prime.

Also, that excellent Prime fulfillment involves Amazon overworking and underpaying their workers, stuffing them into rotten working conditions, with a high risk of COVID-19 infections, and union busting. Yet, I've guiltily still retained Prime myself. I'm a hypocrite.

This this trolling?

I'm letting my Prime go at the next renewal. Their COVID-19 shipping times have continued to be just as long as smaller company's normal shipping times. Most of what I want to stream is not free with Prime.

Also, that excellent Prime fulfillment involves Amazon overworking and underpaying their workers, stuffing them into rotten working conditions, with a high risk of COVID-19 infections, and union busting. Yet, I've guiltily still retained Prime myself. I'm a hypocrite.

This this trolling?

ALMOST everything you buy, wear or even eat today is made/packaged under less than optimal conditions. A majority of our U.S. meat packing plants have been ravaged with COVID~19 because of non social distancing practices and don't get me started on all those items manufactured in China by cheap labor or your MADE IN ITALY items which are probably made in Milan by cheap Chinese labor in sweat box Chinese owned factories as well.

Or how about those sweltering, NON air conditioned UPS delivery trucks which can reach internal temperatures of over 120 degrees which we ALL depend on for our much anticipated deliveries.

The list goes on and on ......... and ON!

Unless you're a hermit who lives off the grid and grows his/her own food and 'fashions' their attire out of animal pelts ....ALTRUISM ASIDE, WE'RE ALL GUILTY!

Last edited:
Guys, IMO, this thread has really gone down the rabbit hole here.. I would be more interested to know how many people really care if Atmos goes away than views about Prime and the sweat shop labor at Amazon. It is the audio that counts from my perspective! I will just say, it matters very little to me about the outcome of Atmos. My music listening can stay on the ground and surround me.

+1
We're all hypocrites.
Some don't want to admit it to ourselves.
It's a lot easier to spot in others. ;)
Unless you're a hermit who lives off the grid and grows his/her own food and 'fashions' their attire out of animal pelts ....ALTRUISM ASIDE, WE'RE ALL GUILTY!
Thanks, you two. It's nice to be validated, even if it is validation for something negative!

Sorry to have derailed this thread, but I felt it was an issue that is part of the value of Amazon Prime.

Guys, IMO, this thread has really gone down the rabbit hole here.. I would be more interested to know how many people really care if Atmos goes away than views about Prime and the sweat shop labor at Amazon. It is the audio that counts from my perspective! I will just say, it matters very little to me about the outcome of Atmos. My music listening can stay on the ground and surround me.
Itā€™s just that if Amazon does indeed drop Atmos, there may be unhappy Prime customers who really wanted it. I am one who doesnā€™t care what they do or donā€™t do, but I donā€™t have Prime.

Back