Let's give a warm QQ welcome to Steve Genewick!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah great video... Interesting that Steve's done some Rolling Stones in Atmos for test purposes! Goats Head Soup must have been a challenge indeed! And like fredblue said maybe the unreleased Eltons will see the light of day in Atmos?!? Even better if Greg Penny was on Acid! 🤩

Can't wait for this stuff, just wish we had more information of when it's getting released?!? And what were the tracks they played after the talk?!? A real whodunit.... 🤯

Hello All. I haven't been around here at all lately, and for that I apologize. It's a crazy world out there right now, but we've all been mixing away as much as we can with limited access to all our Atmos rooms. We are pretty much back at full strength now. I've turned a bunch of our other mixers on to this site, and some of the guys are having a good time reading the posts. It's the kind of real world feedback we enjoy getting (most of the time), and it does inform our mixing a bit. I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can. I promise I'll check in more often.

Yeah great video... Interesting that Steve's done some Rolling Stones in Atmos for test purposes! Goats Head Soup must have been a challenge indeed! And like fredblue said maybe the unreleased Eltons will see the light of day in Atmos?!? Even better if Greg Penny was on Acid! 🤩

Can't wait for this stuff, just wish we had more information of when it's getting released?!? And what were the tracks they played after the talk?!? A real whodunit.... 🤯

I did a couple test mixes for Mick to listen to, but I didn't end up doing the album. It was mixed in England so the band could be more hands on.

Hello All. I haven't been around here at all lately, and for that I apologize. It's a crazy world out there right now, but we've all been mixing away as much as we can with limited access to all our Atmos rooms. We are pretty much back at full strength now. I've turned a bunch of our other mixers on to this site, and some of the guys are having a good time reading the posts. It's the kind of real world feedback we enjoy getting (most of the time), and it does inform our mixing a bit. I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can. I promise I'll check in more often.
YES!!!! This is great to read that the people doing the mixes are reading our posts, knowing what we like/dislike and appreciate and see opportunities with. Thanks @Steve G for listening and for all you do to bring surround/immersive/Atmos mixes to life!

YES!!!! This is great to read that the people doing the mixes are reading our posts, knowing what we like/dislike and appreciate and see opportunities with. Thanks @Steve G for listening and for all you do to bring surround/immersive/Atmos mixes to life!

What @EricKalet said! Welcome back, and thanks for all of your amazing work, past, present, and future.

And speaking of future: I'd be curious to know if you have any inside info on when we can expect to see more of your stuff (and others') showing up on Tidal and/or elsewhere. There's a whole thread here devoted more or less to a bunch of us grousing about our disenchantment with the whole Atmos rollout and Tidal's general lack of interest in promoting what little Atmos content they have or in responding to user inquiries, suggestions, and complaints. Reading between the lines of some of the comments (by you and others) that appeared in Mix magazine's special Atmos issue back in May, it seems as though mixers may not be entirely thrilled with how things have been handled, either. I wouldn't ask you to be indiscreet (no pun intended), but if you have any good news for us, we'd love to hear it!

Last edited:
What @EricKalet said! Welcome back, and thanks for all of your amazing work, past, present, and future.

And speaking of future: I'd be curious to know if you have any inside info on when we can expect to see more of your stuff (and others') showing up on Tidal and/or elsewhere. There's a whole thread here devoted more or less to a bunch of us grousing about our disenchantment with the whole Atmos rollout and Tidal's general lack of interest in promoting what little Atmos content they have or in responding to user inquiries, suggestions, and complaints. Reading between the lines of some of the comments (by you and others) that appeared in Mix magazine's special Atmos issue back in May, it seems as though mixers may not be entirely thrilled with how things have been handled, either. I wouldn't ask you to be indiscreet (no pun intended), but if you have any good news for us, we'd love to hear it!

I can't really speak to any of the questions you asked here. Alas, I'm just a mixer and these kinds of decisions are made way up the food chain from where I sit. Like anything, we can't expect to make 100% of the people in the world happy, and there are some who either don't see the value, just don't like the format, or don't like how it's being released. To each their own.

FWIT, that 10,000 number was new to us also, at least to the mixing team. I suspect a good amount of that number is HiRes stereo content, but again, that's just my guess. If it is Atmos content, then we have a lot of mixing to do.

I can't really speak to any of the questions you asked here. Alas, I'm just a mixer and these kinds of decisions are made way up the food chain from where I sit. Like anything, we can't expect to make 100% of the people in the world happy, and there are some who either don't see the value, just don't like the format, or don't like how it's being released. To each their own.

I think most of us are excited about the potential of the format. (And some of that excitement comes from hearing work you've already done!) We're just baffled by the way Tidal have handled it so far. Oh well, I hope we see them add more of the stuff that you & your mates have worked on soon!

FWIT, that 10,000 number was new to us also, at least to the mixing team. I suspect a good amount of that number is HiRes stereo content, but again, that's just my guess. If it is Atmos content, then we have a lot of mixing to do.

Yes, a lot of the old Blue Note catalog that they've released, for instance, sounds nice enough, but seems as if it might have been run through some sort of "set-it-and-forget-it" Atmos-upmix algorithm. But if the more impressive mixes you guys have done account for even a fraction of that 10k figure, then I hope Dolby and the labels and the streaming services don't just sit on it. Especially if it's work you're proud of!

Last edited:
I think most of us are excited about the potential of the format. (And some of that excitement comes from hearing work you've already done!) We're just baffled by the way Tidal have handled it so far. Oh well, I hope we see them add more of the stuff that you & your mates have worked on soon!

Yes, a lot of the old Blue Note catalog that they've released, for instance, sounds nice enough, but seems as if it might have been run through some sort of "set-it-and-forget-it" Atmos-upmix algorithm. But even if the more impressive mixes you guys have done accounts for even a fraction of that 10k figure, then I hope Dolby and the labels and the streaming services don't just sit on it. Especially if it's work you're proud of!

The Blue Note albums are not run through any algorithms, they are run through the live rooms of our studios. How to get 3 tracks into Atmos!

Back