Jethro Tull - Aqualung BluRay Audio Failing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Netflix allows you to watch end credits.

But you, the viewer, still have to grab the remote and select that option. So even though you can watch them, the image is still vandalized. Yes, it's brief and most people probably don't care, but clearly *some* do and it annoys me that we don't have the option.

So...to steer this back to the topic of the thread(!):

A while back I tried to find contact information for Parlophone, who inherited the Jethro Tull portion of the Chrysalis catalog in the EMI break-up some years ago. (That split happened after the Aqualung Blu-Ray set was issued.) No luck: all I could find was a Facebook page, where my PMs haven't been answered.

So I also reached out to Optimal Media, who manufactured these disks. I got a reply very quickly from someone in the quality control department, and we've been corresponding on and off over the summer. His final response today was essentially that he's sympathetic and he's sorry, but legally speaking, Optimal's hands are tied. They manufactured the set for EMI in 2011, and their contract obliged them to warrant the product for a limited time, which is now past. And because they're the manufacturer, not the publisher/owner, they can't take it upon themselves to issue a replacement of what is technically a former client's property.

I told him that I certainly understood that position, and that I'd appreciate it if anyone there at Optimal could connect us with Parlophone's customer service--or, indeed, if Optimal might be willing to alert Parlophone to this problem and ask them if they would like to authorize Optimal to come up with some sort of solution here.

I don't really expect this to go any further, but that's where we are now.

So...to steer this back to the topic of the thread(!):

A while back I tried to find contact information for Parlophone, who inherited the Jethro Tull portion of the Chrysalis catalog in the EMI break-up some years ago. (That split happened after the Aqualung Blu-Ray set was issued.) No luck: all I could find was a Facebook page, where my PMs haven't been answered.

So I also reached out to Optimal Media, who manufactured these disks. I got a reply very quickly from someone in the quality control department, and we've been corresponding on and off over the summer. His final response today was essentially that he's sympathetic and he's sorry, but legally speaking, Optimal's hands are tied. They manufactured the set for EMI in 2011, and their contract obliged them to warrant the product for a limited time, which is now past. And because they're the manufacturer, not the publisher/owner, they can't take it upon themselves to issue a replacement of what is technically a former client's property.

I told him that I certainly understood that position, and that I'd appreciate it if anyone there at Optimal could connect us with Parlophone's customer service--or, indeed, if Optimal might be willing to alert Parlophone to this problem and ask them if they would like to authorize Optimal to come up with some sort of solution here.

I don't really expect this to go any further, but that's where we are now.

A true yeoman effort, humprof, but as you allege.....We're Plum out of luck. Another one of those "Take the Money ... and RUN" scams!

I recently purchased this set used and the Blu-ray wouldn't play, I already owned the CD/DVD book set and had planned to sell it. Instead I will keep it and I returned the Blu-ray set. When these releases with Blu-ray and DVD-V started showing up, I thought what a waste, I will never play the lossy DVD. My guess is the entire production run will soon prove to be defective and if there was only one manufacturing run, nobody will be happy.

I have never copied DVDs, SACDs, or Blu-ray discs but I guess I better figure out how and get started now.

I recently purchased this set used and the Blu-ray wouldn't play, I already owned the CD/DVD book set and had planned to sell it. Instead I will keep it and I returned the Blu-ray set. When these releases with Blu-ray and DVD-V started showing up, I thought what a waste, I will never play the lossy DVD. My guess is the entire production run will soon prove to be defective and if there was only one manufacturing run, nobody will be happy.

I have never copied DVDs, SACDs, or Blu-ray discs but I guess I better figure out how and get started now.
Yes, I need to learn how to do that as well

I would think the best way to deal with Blu-ray audio is if enough customers question the retailers on who makes the disc and rejects purchases based on know prior defective products from said manufacture(s) this would in time correct the problem consumers face.

Last edited:
And wouldn't you know it, my blu ray disc started failing today. Title track just skips along right into Cross Eyed Mary. I need to rip this disc before it goes kaput.

And wouldn't you know it, my blu ray disc started failing today. Title track just skips along right into Cross Eyed Mary. I need to rip this disc before it goes kaput.

Yep--I think that's more or less how it started for the rest of us, too. Sorry to have you join our club.

I don't have any experience ripping Blu-Rays, and I don't even have a BD-R drive. If anyone has strong recommendations on drives, ripping, and burning software for BDA (I've only done DVD & SACD), I'd be glad to hear them.

Edit: I've just looked at the landing page for ImgBurn, which I'm already familiar with, and I see it's capable of burning BDA from ISO. So I guess I'm just looking for information on burners and BDA ripping software.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience ripping Blu-Rays, and I don't even have a BD-R drive. If anyone has strong recommendations on drives, ripping, and burning software for BDA (I've only done DVD & SACD), I'd be glad to hear them.

Edit: I've just looked at the landing page for ImgBurn, which I'm already familiar with, and I see it's capable of burning BDA from ISO. So I guess I'm just looking for information on burners and BDA ripping software.
My Aqualung Blu-ray disc still plays fine, thankfully. But I take the warnings seriously from others here, that theirs have started to rot, even though they were working fine until recently. So I endeavored to do my first complete Blu-ray rip, to have a backup in case my disc eventually fails.

Previously I'd dabbled just a bit with MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor on my iMac, in order to get the stereo mixes from my Chicago Quadio discs onto my computer and iPhone. That was a while ago. So tonight I downloaded the latest version of MakeMKV, inserted the Aqualung Blu-ray into the cheapo no-name Chinese Blu-ray read/write external drive I bought from Amazon last year, it slowly started up and scanned the disc, then I clicked the Backup icon in MakeMKV, and less than an hour later, I had a new folder on the computer.

I was expecting a single file somewhere with an .mkv extension, but instead there was a huge (35GB) file within the folder simply named BDMV with no extension. I copied that into a new folder on the USB flash drive that I use with my OPPO BDP-95, and when I select that folder from the OPPO, it immediately starts playing it as if the disc was inserted, with all the same menus, audio options, etc. I was a little shocked that it worked, and on the first try! Brought me some big smiles, although my wife wasn't so impressed when I regaled her with my tales of technical derring-do.

I don't know how to burn a new Blu-ray disc from this MKV backup, but I don't think I'll bother to try, since it works so well from the flash drive in the OPPO. Now, if I could just figure out how to rip my Harvest DVD-A, swap the channels on the songs that are messed up, and save that as an MKV, I'd be all set (any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated!)...

I just checked mine. Happy to say it seems to play fine. I say seems because I only checked one song and switched between SW mix and quad mix in both DTS-MA and PCM. I need to play the whole disc but I think I dodged the bullet...hope so anyway!

And menu loads and settings work without a glitch.

My set was purchased brand new and not when it was first released. Perhaps several yrs later? I don't remember when I got it but it wasn't when it first came out, it sat in my Amazon cart for about the same time as the Pink Floyd Immersion sets before I bought them all. Were the Aqualung discs pressed in different plants?

My very extensive disc collection (DVD, BD, HD-DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A) never sees >78F, and for at least the past 5+ yrs the room is kept 75 year round.

Maybe I just lucked out.

Based on reading the thread on DVD-A rot in the Doors Perception box set, I checked them too. No apparent problems there either.

Last edited:
I don't know how to burn a new Blu-ray disc from this MKV backup, but I don't think I'll bother to try, since it works so well from the flash drive in the OPPO. Now, if I could just figure out how to rip my Harvest DVD-A, swap the channels on the songs that are messed up, and save that as an MKV, I'd be all set (any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated!)...
Update: with help from past posts, I figured out how to make a corrected version of 5.1 Harvest in FLAC files, which saved to the flash drive play fine from my OPPO. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be, so if anyone wants to do the same, read my post in the Harvest thread and if you need further details, let me know.

My Aqualung Blu-ray disc still plays fine, thankfully. But I take the warnings seriously from others here, that theirs have started to rot, even though they were working fine until recently. So I endeavored to do my first complete Blu-ray rip, to have a backup in case my disc eventually fails.

Previously I'd dabbled just a bit with MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor on my iMac, in order to get the stereo mixes from my Chicago Quadio discs onto my computer and iPhone. That was a while ago. So tonight I downloaded the latest version of MakeMKV, inserted the Aqualung Blu-ray into the cheapo no-name Chinese Blu-ray read/write external drive I bought from Amazon last year, it slowly started up and scanned the disc, then I clicked the Backup icon in MakeMKV, and less than an hour later, I had a new folder on the computer.

I was expecting a single file somewhere with an .mkv extension, but instead there was a huge (35GB) file within the folder simply named BDMV with no extension. I copied that into a new folder on the USB flash drive that I use with my OPPO BDP-95, and when I select that folder from the OPPO, it immediately starts playing it as if the disc was inserted, with all the same menus, audio options, etc. I was a little shocked that it worked, and on the first try! Brought me some big smiles, although my wife wasn't so impressed when I regaled her with my tales of technical derring-do.

I appreciate hearing about your experience, @scooob -- and you've made me remember that while some Oppo models will play Blu-Ray from BDMV folders, most won't play SACD-R or DVD-R, which (I guess) means they wouldn't play BD-R either--at least not a commercially released disc copied to BD-R. If I'm right about that, then if a person was going to try to burn a playable backup copy of Aqualung to optical disc, it would have to be done as a data disc with a BDMV folder. (And on the 20x models, at least, I think the BDMV folder has to be placed inside a folder named "AVCHD.")

One more note for anyone trying @scooob 's method: if you're using Windows to copy to a USB drive, make sure that destination drive is formatted using NTFS rather than FAT, since FAT won't let you transfer files larger than 4GB.

Last edited:
Back