DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Gave it a 9. It's hard to mark a Tull set by Steven Wilson with al the extras any lower. I was not familiar with this material but after several listens it has certainly grown on me. Still favour most of the other sets I am more familiar with, but glad I purchased this one. Was seriously considering stopping at the last reissue.

It's my first listen (of this version, and maybe, the second or third for the album in my whole life), but it's sonically pleasing (y)

I love the fidelity of this surround mix and there’s plenty of discrete surround activity for my taste. The extra 5.1 tracks are excellent. I’m new to most of these Tull releases, but this one I really like musically (I also love Heavy Horses and Aqualung, and can’t stand A Passion Play... the others fall somewhere in the middle). I give this a 9.

I only managed to listen to Passion Play while doing tiles in my new kitchen some years ago ;)

Anyway, Stormwatch may be in my top 5 Tull (with Aqualung, Thick, Stand Up, and either Benefit/Minstrel).

I love the fidelity of this surround mix and there’s plenty of discrete surround activity for my taste. The extra 5.1 tracks are excellent. I’m new to most of these Tull releases, but this one I really like musically (I also love Heavy Horses and Aqualung, and can’t stand A Passion Play... the others fall somewhere in the middle). I give this a 9.
Couldn’t agree with you more, Sean. Very surprised how much I liked Stormwatch and how much I disliked Passion Play. The Stormwatch bonus disc is superb.

I thought i was through with the Jethro Tull boxset series after Minstrel in the Gallery but i bought Heavy Horses and was surprised how much I liked it. So I took a chance and bought Stormwatch. I liked it also. The surround is a little tamer than I prefer (I like adventurous mixes like XTC Psurroundabout Ride). I like the material on dvd 1 and 2 equally. A strong 8 for me.

I finally got around to this one after getting it under the tree this past Christmas. I’m just getting through track 7 and I like everything I’ve heard so far. This was unexpected as the reviewer on Allmusic only gave this album 2 stars. :eek: All I can figure is that he must have been in really lousy mood the day he did his review. This is really good stuff!

I finally got around to this one after getting it under the tree this past Christmas. I’m just getting through track 7 and I like everything I’ve heard so far. This was unexpected as the reviewer on Allmusic only gave this album 2 stars. :eek: All I can figure is that he must have been in really lousy mood the day he did his review. This is really good stuff!
Make sure you listen to the ‘Associated Recordings’ disc as it too is fantastic!

Hmmmm. This may be my least favorite of all the JT sets released. (“Too Old To Rock And Roll” is a contender) The album sounds great. It was obviously recorded very well in 1979. But this may be the weakest, least memorable set of songs in their catalog. And even the 5.1 mix is surprisingly lackluster.

While most wouldn't have fit on the album, nor do I think they make a great album on their own, I prefer most of the “associated recordings” to the proper album. And I don’t ever say that about bonus tracks.

As with all the other sets, the packaging is fantastic and the 96-page book is very nice. The live discs are a nice, but not particularly necessary bonus. As much as I hate to do it, I just can’t give this more than a “7”. Had the surround mix been more compelling, maybe it would have been an “8”? Having heard before that this was Wilson’s favorite Tull album, I expected more from the mix.

It’s clear the band was out of gas here. No surprise they essentially broke up after this.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. This may be my least favorite of all the JT sets released. (“Too Old To Rock And Roll” is a contender) The album sounds great. It was obviously recorded very well in 1979. But this may be the weakest, least memorable set of songs in their catalog. And even the 5.1 mix is surprisingly lackluster.

While most wouldn't have fit on the album, nor do I think they make a great album on their own, I prefer most of the “associated recordings” to the proper album. And I don’t ever say that about bonus tracks.

As with all the other sets, the packaging is fantastic and the 96-page book is very nice. The live discs are a nice, but not particularly necessary bonus. As much as I hate to do it, I just can’t give this more than a “7”. Had the surround mix been more compelling, maybe it would have been an “8”? Having heard before that this was Wilson’s favorite Tull album, I expected more from the mix.

It’s clear the band was out of gas here. No surprise they essentially broke up after this.
Oh how I wish every act‘s “worst album” was as good as this one.

Worst of show for the core period (which I thought this album book ended) was Too Old for me. The next 3 didn't quite rise to the level of Stand Up thru Mistral IMHO but are solid work. With the benefit of the bonus tracks, it sounds like they were really trying to return to form here with more trippy prog kind of stuff too. The unedited version of Orion is an interesting reveal there! I guess they just ran out of steam or something and edited it down instead of continuing work on it and eventually nailing it. Too bad that all hit the cutting room floor. There was a clue I missed in their live set with some of that arrangement still in the song! Looks like I had never collected any live recordings from 1979 before. Dun Ringill is still a high point on this one. It's just a simple little acoustic ditty but it's a really strong high point for me.

Worst of show for the core period (which I thought this album book ended) was Too Old for me. The next 3 didn't quite rise to the level of Stand Up thru Mistral IMHO but are solid work. With the benefit of the bonus tracks, it sounds like they were really trying to return to form here with more trippy prog kind of stuff too. The unedited version of Orion is an interesting reveal there! I guess they just ran out of steam or something and edited it down instead of continuing work on it and eventually nailing it. Too bad that all hit the cutting room floor. There was a clue I missed in their live set with some of that arrangement still in the song! Looks like I had never collected any live recordings from 1979 before. Dun Ringill is still a high point on this one. It's just a simple little acoustic ditty but it's a really strong high point for me.

can’t disagree here except to say I think Songs From The Wood is one of their best, period. Heavy Horses has grown on me over time. This one? Meh. I appreciate the musicianship. Some of the arrangements are interesting. Martin’s guitar sounds big and fat and rocking. I do like that this album is heavier than most of their others. (I don’t get the “folk trio” thing here at all. There’s nothing “folk” about this album save a track or two).

but other than a couple of tracks? Well, like others have said, weak Tull is better than a lot of bands’ best work.

Does anybody know when the 5.1 boxes, that are selling for super high prices, will be re-released. At least three of them have been on back order for a year and a half!!!

Back