Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its ok.....what does everyone else think?
I like it. I like the other unreleased stuff, too. Other than Angie, I'm not that familiar with this album. I do remember a friend having it in high school, but I can't recall listening to it. But it's the Stones so I'll be buying!

Gotta love Udiscovermusic.com for their emails... 😂
Eric, 'Goats Head Soup' is cooking
Eric,​
Get excited, your order is almost ready!

As a reminder, this is scheduled to be shipped on or around September 4, 2020.

We'll send you a tracking number once your order has shipped.​

Yea I needed to be reminded to be excited too...….
In the meantime I have been listening to my old cassettes of Its Only rock and roll...will they get to that one next..... and one I recorded from my vinyl of Goats Head Soup with the goat head picture insert.

Can't believe the OP is July 8th and I only just heard about this today - sorry for not reading all the pages, I reached around page 4 or so - is it confirmed who did the Atmos mix as it's not in the UMe product listing page.

If Clearmountain is now doing Atmos, I will go crack a beer right bloody now to celebrate.

Can't believe the OP is July 8th and I only just heard about this today - sorry for not reading all the pages, I reached around page 4 or so - is it confirmed who did the Atmos mix as it's not in the UMe product listing page.

If Clearmountain is now doing Atmos, I will go crack a beer right bloody now to celebrate.

think it might be Giles Martin..?

I Fing hope not......even though he's getting better o_O

Really wish Giles would REPLAY the Beatles' LOVE ALBUM where he collorated with his dad, Sir George on what I still consider DEFINITIVE REMIXES of the Beatles' material. And don't think Sir George, who was 'deaf' at the time didn't have the UPPER HAND!

OK, then Jonathan...but I rather liked Zabble's reply: I'd rather it be Bob Clearmountain!'

SEE my post #308

And the SURROUND POLL for the LOVE ALBUM HiRez Poll - Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

And after the VERY disappointing 5.1 surround REMIX[?] for Criterion's BD~V of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT [actually Double Stereo], Giles needs to up his imagination skills if he's going to equal his late Dad's remixing prowness.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Clearmountain too, but I think Giles nailed Abbey Road. He's a pro and clearly more-than-capable of doing a good surround mix.

I will concur ABBEY ROAD was definitely a game changer for Giles ..... but still not on the exalted level of Scheiner, Wilson nor Clearmountain.

IMO, Abbey Road was also the best recorded of all the Beatles' albums to begin with. I'm also sure you are aware that Elliot Scheiner did volunteer his services to remix Abbey Road back in the day when he was at the height of his skills, into Surround .... and was politely DENIED!

To this day, wonder how Scheiner's remix would've compared to GILES ...but then again, WE'LL NEVER KNOW!

Last edited:
OK, then Jonathan...but I rather liked Zabble's reply: I'd rather it be Bob Clearmountain!'

SEE my post #308

And the SURROUND POLL for the LOVE ALBUM HiRez Poll - Beatles - LOVE [DVD-A]

And after the VERY disappointing 5.1 surround REMIX[?] for Criterion's BD~V of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT [actually Double Stereo], Giles needs to up his imagination skills if he's going to equal his late Dad's remixing prowness.
Don't forget, from what I understand, the client has a lot of say as to how they want it to sound; and any blame for a bland mix may not be just on the shoulders of the engineer.

Don't forget, from what I understand, the client has a lot of say as to how they want it to sound; and any blame for a bland mix may not be just on the shoulders of the engineer.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Pupster.....akin to when J Z told Elliot Scheiner to tone down his discrete remix for Beyonce's fab video BD~V.....but wouldn't you be just a little bit curious what Scheiner could've accomplished with Abbey Road. After all, IMO, his Steely Dan 5.1 remixes are TEXTBOOK!

IMO, Beyonce's videos would've been greatly enhanced by Scheiner UNLEASHED and would still love to hear them as intended by Elliot! After all, there'd probably be ample room on that BD~V to hear BOTH remixes and be free to choose which one suited her videos. IMO, a missed opportunity!

Last edited:
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Pupster.....akin to when J Z told Elliot Scheiner to tone down his discrete remix for Beyonce's fab video BD~V.....but wouldn't you be just a little bit curious what Scheiner could've accomplished with Abbey Road. After all, IMO, his Steely Dan 5.1 remixes are TEXTBOOK!
I'm fine with the Abbey Road mix, besides Elliot is pretty much retired right... :)

...but wouldn't you be just a little bit curious what Scheiner could've accomplished with Abbey Road. After all, IMO, his Steely Dan 5.1 remixes are TEXTBOOK!

I don't want to turn this thread into a referendum on Beatles remixes, but I really don't think it could've been that much more adventurous with someone else at the helm. It's incredibly difficult to create a cohesive 5.1 mix from an 8-track recording. The only surround remix that Scheiner's done from an 8-track master is Van Morrison's Moondance, and that mix borders on vintage quad style at times with different instruments mostly isolated in each corner. Interesting as it may have sounded, I don't think that style of mixing would've been approved for Abbey Road.

I love to nitpick about these things, but I honestly think Giles succeeded at creating a cohesive soundstage with wide channel separation when possible. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that he put the same kind of stuff in the rears that Scheiner usually does - backing vocals, percussion, strings, synthesizers, etc. He even threw a guitar solo in one of the back corners!

I'm guessing that GHS was probably recorded 16-track back in 1972, giving whoever did these new mixes much more leeway in terms of surround placement.

Back