HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - REPTILE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Eric Clapton - REPTILE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Clapton Reptile Front.jpg

Clapton Reptile Back.jpg

Last edited:
Another one i bought and listened to a couple of times and then sold. I didn't care for the songs too much {but of course there were a couple of good ones}, and if i remember the surround mix wasn't all that good either. I vote 4.

yes the release overall is boring ...musically that is...but the playing, musicianship is first rate.The recording is very good throughout as is the surround mix.
From my memory of about a year ago ,I think it's the first track that's outstanding(it's been a while since I played it) and then it just falls away to
a bunch of well recorded but boring songs.
I give it an 8...it's a great recording and surround mix of boring tracks.
Then again if you liked this release in stereo you'd probably give it a 10.

MIDIQ said:
if i remember the surround mix wasn't all that good either. I vote 4.

You can't remember but you're voting anyway? Gee, that makes me feel confident in the accuracy of the poll...

It's been awhile since I listened to this one and if I remember correctly the surround mix was rather good. But I will wait and give it another listen before I actually vote!

Cai Campbell said:
You can't remember but you're voting anyway? Gee, that makes me feel confident in the accuracy of the poll...

It's been awhile since I listened to this one and if I remember correctly the surround mix was rather good. But I will wait and give it another listen before I actually vote!

Yes i feel i should vote my opinion, and since i didn't like the disc enough to keep it, i can't go back and give it another listen {which is what i do when i haven't heard the disc in a while}, to see exactly how little i liked it. It might have been a 5 or a 3, but 4 about says it for me, as i am sure i didn't like it enough to give it a 8 or 9 {if i liked it that much i would have kept it} and i didn't like it. And it is not just because i don't like the performer, i have 10 other cd's i like by him.
I try to vote as fairly as possible. :)

I listened to this again tonight and I must say that it is pretty damn good! The recording quality is top notch and the sonics are awesome. The performances are great and I don't understand the criticism about it be boring. It is laid back, for sure, but not boring. If you're looking for Cream-era Clapton, ferget about it! But this is some primo quality laid back blues-rock with a touch o' jazz for good measure. The surround mix varies from moody to adventurous, and the mix of each song appropriately fits the feel. I feel this one is a very strong 8.

Cai Campbell said:
I listened to this again tonight and I must say that it is pretty damn good! The recording quality is top notch and the sonics are awesome. The performances are great and I don't understand the criticism about it be boring. It is laid back, for sure, but not boring. If you're looking for Cream-era Clapton, ferget about it! But this is some primo quality laid back blues-rock with a touch o' jazz for good measure. The surround mix varies from moody to adventurous, and the mix of each song appropriately fits the feel. I feel this one is a very strong 8.

Yes well i played it again last night myself and i still find it (for me) to be overall a musically boring record...but it is good surround and good recording quality and I gave it an 8 for that...However, I think the first track (the title track) is outstanding...but I'm just bored with it after that...maybe I need to play it a few more times, or (more likely) maybe I'm bored these days with laid back stuff...after all it took me a few playings to like Brian Wilson's Smile too....but now I'm 2/3rds of the way to doing a Beach Boys version with the same edits on my multitrack....(not to mention contemplating a dts surround version)...

Well, I liked it enough a good while back to give it a "9" and after playing it again last night, I'd still give it an "8" or "9" today.

The sound quality is superb, the musicianship is the creme de la creme, the surround mix is very sympathetic to the material whilst still being pretty active and about half of the songs are very good or excellent, with the other half being pleasant enough.

If you don't already have it, go for it! By today's DVDA standards, it's cheap and easy to come by.

10. When this was new, I often used it as a demo. I love to play the first track and ask people to guess who it is. They never guess right. Great fidelity, great performance, nice mix. As Cai so aptly put it, this isn't Cream, or Layla, for that matter. It's a stellar album in my book. Those of you who didn't like it, listen again and open your mind this time.

I love to play the first track and ask people to guess who it is. They never guess right.

I've played this game on many people myself (kinda relieved to read you do too as I was beginning to think perhaps I am a bit odd or something) and you're spot-on correct.
They never get it right.

Great fidelity, great performance, nice mix. As Cai so aptly put it, this isn't Cream, or Layla, for that matter. It's a stellar album in my book. Those of you who didn't like it, listen again and open your mind this time.

Could not have said it better myself.

As is quite evident in some places on this disc, it was recorded at basically the same time as Riding with the King and there are clear sonic similarities, including outstanding recording quality and musicianship. Yes, the "sheen" is perhaps too evident, but as far as demonstrating what the DVD-A MC format can to do enhance music listening pleasure - - - it's right up there as one of the best. Surround mix is varied and "fits" with the tracks. There is a fullness to the sound that seems to be missing from many other discs - and this is true of Riding with the King as well. Fun to read here the comments about Track 1 - which has always been one of my favorites too. I cannot get to 10 but I am rating as a 9! Glad to have it in my collection of DVD-A's and only wish more artists of EC's caliber would have embraced the format for their new recordings.

It’s one of my fav DVD-A, a 10 all the way. The background vocals with The Impressions just slays me. A must have surround title!

setting aside the uneven reaction to his 5.1's on the "461 Ocean Blvd." SACD and the "Derek & The Dominos" SACD (i think they're both better than their reputation suggests) for me this DVD-Audio and the "Back Home" DualDisc are proof that Mick Guzauski is a good surround music engineer, both feature great 5.1 mixes and are quite underrated imho.

here's the QQ Poll for the 5.1 of "Back Home";

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/clapton-eric-back-home-dvd-a-dualdisc.5566/

Mix: 4/5: Not showy, but rears in constant use, with variety. Very real. Feels like you're surrounded by the band.

Sound: 5/5: Very nice. A bit too much sub, but nice to feel the kick drum.

Music: 3/5: Over smooth and bland but his voice is nice and his guitar is amazing. Not too much shredding but even the gentlest of songs has a unique guitar sound and nice licks. The bluesy ones are great.

I'm trying to weight my scores for QQ (If I love/ hate the music, it matters to me, but much less so to other people), so this translates to:
4*3 + 5*2 + 3*1 = 25/30 = 8.33 = 8/10

Mix: 4/5: Not showy, but rears in constant use, with variety. Very real. Feels like you're surrounded by the band.

Sound: 5/5: Very nice. A bit too much sub, but nice to feel the kick drum.

Music: 3/5: Over smooth and bland but his voice is nice and his guitar is amazing. Not too much shredding but even the gentlest of songs has a unique guitar sound and nice licks. The bluesy ones are great.

I'm trying to weight my scores for QQ (If I love/ hate the music, it matters to me, but much less so to other people), so this translates to:
4*3 + 5*2 + 3*1 = 25/30 = 8.33 = 8/10
I don't think you should rate records which you do not like the music, it's counter intuitive, I personally don't bother getting stuff I don't like and a low vote for a disc to which you do not like the music will NOT be helpful at all towards others in the forum who do like that kind of music; you are better off spending your money and reviewing stuff you like..but, hey, you can do what you like, just my 2 cents

Back