DVD/DTS Poll Gong - LOVE FROM THE PLANET GONG (YOU QUAD MIXES) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Gong - LOVE FROM THE PLANET GONG (YOU QUAD MIXES)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 box set from the band Gong entitled "Love from the Planet Gong".
The box set includes a DVD with two different discrete Quad mixes for Side 1 of the 1974 album "You", along with a stereo-to-Quad upmix of Side 2 of the album.

(y):)(n)

81Jad6dZIvL._SL1481_.jpg

71hW8fFaoML._SL1200_.jpg

I have played some of the CDs and I can't get into it. Very experimental stuff with cheesy lyrics. The guitar is excellent from Hillage but this is definitely not my kind of music.
It reminds me a great deal of Frank Zappa at his weirdest

I have played some of the CDs and I can't get into it. Very experimental stuff with cheesy lyrics. The guitar is excellent from Hillage but this is definitely not my kind of music.
It reminds me a great deal of Frank Zappa at his weirdest
I dont at all get the Frank Zappa comparison.
The DVD is great just a shame it's one album. The upmixed tracks are just about the best I have heard. The two quad mixes of the first side of You are fantastic done by someone who gets a surround mix.

The rest of the package is great, love the live albums.

My vote is low only because it's a DVD and it's only 1/2 of one album in a set which covers 4 studio albums

I don't often vote on polls nowadays, but I wanted to on this. I love this band and I love this boxset. The cds are superb, the remastered studio albums are very clear and excellent sounding, and the numerous live cds are so well mixed, very enjoyable.

From a surround point of view this is difficult to rate. Yes there's only one album in surround and half of that is an upmix. You is my favourite Gong album and one of my favourite albums period. I agree with the comment above, the upmix part is the best upmix I've ever heard, nice and surroundy with lots of discrete stuff going on. And the quad mixes are superb, very clear, discrete and immersive. Up there with the best surround mixes I've heard. For comparison I listened to this earlier straight after the Steven Wilson Farewell To Kings mix, and the Gong You quad shone next to that, which is praise indeed.

If I was voting purely on the quad part it would be a 10 without doubt, but have gone with 9 to factor in the upmix, which is still great none the less.

I agree with the comment above, the upmix part is the best upmix I've ever heard, nice and surroundy with lots of discrete stuff going on. And the quad mixes are superb, very clear, discrete and immersive.

Totally agree with you. The upmix is as good as The quad mix.

A 8 for me because The music style in not my favourite one

I just saw that amazon.com has it currently for $107.

Interesting. The sellers are MovieMars and ZOverstocks--two big (and reliable) resellers of cutouts and overstocks. ImportCD and DeepDiscount, meanwhile, have it for $125. I guess they're closing out what remains of the first impression?

Interesting. The sellers are MovieMars and ZOverstocks--two big (and reliable) resellers of cutouts and overstocks. ImportCD and DeepDiscount, meanwhile, have it for $125. I guess they're closing out what remains of the first impression?
Hmm, that seems probable. They could have made more coin if they sold them a few months ago, though, when supplies were low and demand was 'high'. :)

Difficult to say. I guess I'm going with an 8. It's weird how you can't hear the entire You album at once, one has to play side one, then side two seperately. I understand that the second side is an upmix, but still...

This is the only '70s Gong I know of in surround, so I'm not gonna complain. Love the box!

Back