Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not say botched. I said the quads were done without Richards knowledge and permission as he told it himself on his website as a reply to a fan question. He made it clear that he did not like the quad mixes and would not support reissuing them.

4-earredwonder used the word "botched" in his post below yours. I don't have any issue with what you said. It's true that the Carpenters' quads were done by Marv Bornstein & Bart Chiate without the input of the band, and understandably why Richard spearheaded the remix. I happen to prefer the quad mixes for certain songs though.

You may have misunderstood, CV, that ALL the Carpenter's multi tracks were destroyed in the fire days after Richard C. returned them to the vaults after remixing the Greatest Hits mch SACD which we all love. This means he could never conceivably remix any more Carpenters albums in surround, including the botched A&M QUAD remixes which were unpopular.
I should have apecifically stated that I believe Richard may have requested that the quad masters be destroyed, not the multitracks. Richard likes surround but just did not like or approve the quad releases.

4-earredwonder used the word "botched" in his post below yours. I don't have any issue with what you said. It's true that the Carpenters' quads were done by Marv Bornstein & Bart Chiate without the input of the band, and understandably why Richard spearheaded the remix. I happen to prefer the quad mixes for certain songs though.
I have the 2 Japanese quad LPs and enjoy them but that is my opinion. I wish Richard would have enjoyed them or made new surround mixes. He said there likely wouldn't be any reissues of the SACD or new surround titles as the label did not see the profit in auch a project.

I have the 2 Japanese quad LPs and enjoy them but that is my opinion. I wish Richard would have enjoyed them or made new surround mixes. He said there likely wouldn't be any reissues of the SACD or new surround titles as the label did not see the profit in auch a project.

The fidelity of the SACD is obviously better, but I found the quad mixes to be much more adventurous at times. For example, Richard's backing vocals in "Yesterday Once More" are isolated in the rears and much louder in the quad mix compared to the new 5.1 remix. I wonder if he's really listened to the quads or just doesn't like that they were done without his involvement? I agree that there isn't a high probability of them being reissued, so we're lucky that the CD-4's sound pretty good.

I did not say botched. I said the quads were done without Richards knowledge and permission as he told it himself on his website as a reply to a fan question. He made it clear that he did not like the quad mixes and would not support reissuing them.

Which begs the question, since I am a HUGE fan of RC's remix of THE SINGLES, had he held on to those Carpenter Multitrack Master Tapes [as HE HIMSELF IMPLIED] for a few more weeks, I would've loved to hear his future remixes of all the Carpenter albums.

And should the QUAD masters for NOW AND THEN still reside in Japan and Universal has NO interest in releasing it, perhaps Dutton Vocalion who does the occasional Universal QUAD SACD can have a stab at it.

Last edited:
Which begs the question, since I am a HUGE fan of RC's remix of THE SINGLES, had he held on to those Carpenter Multitrack Master Tapes [as HE HIMSELF IMPLIED] for a few more weeks, I would've loved to hear his future remixes of all the Carpenter albums.

I've never been able to find the video again, but Mr. Carpenter did an interview a few years ago where he stated that all the multitracks that were pulled for his remix session for the SACD were returned just in time to get burned. Had he clung to them for a few more days, those might have survived. But at this point, the physical tapes were destroyed in the fire in 2008. BUT, I would imagine that there may be digital copies of those selected tracks somewhere, but the actual physical tapes all went up in flames in 2008.

It just blows my mind that some of these companies are that irresponsible. Even Columbia/Sony has been guilty of that. Remember the debacle with the Bat out of Hell SACD where they had to fake "Heaven can Wait" because they'd lost the multi and "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" all they had was an early, work version of the multi. (Which never made ANY sense to me!) Yet, they still had the multitracks to all the other songs! Then came the excuse that when Todd Rundgren's studio burnt down in the 1980's, the tapes must've been burned then. Which again - made no sense. Why did Sony have possession of some but not ALL multitracks? It wasn't until AFTER they'd spent all that time to re-create the centerpiece of the album did the Sony archives come forward AGAIN with "Oh, we found those multitracks you asked for. Did you still want them?"

*Facepalm*

They had the Multis to "Heaven" and "Paradise" the whole time. The only discrepancy is that the multi to "Paradise" is a safety copy made before the first-generation master was sent off to have Edgar Winter overdub some saxophone parts. Which again.... blows my mind. They sent the ACTUAL work session tape and NOT the copy? :oops: I've actually gotten my claws into a copy of that safety copy. It's actually missing a bit more: the sax parts, the panting and moaning from the "play at the plate" portion and the fadeout vocals (long ago/far away/so much better than it is today) but... for the most part, all the vocals are there! I had to fly in one word of an Ellen Foley part from the stereo cut as, I can only assume they did a vocal repair later. But this certainly would've been a much better basis than re-recording entire vocals with a completely different person....

That's one I wish DV would tackle. A re-issue of Bat, but get access to the multi's for "Heaven" and "Paradise". Maybe even get Edgar Winter to reprise his sax parts, and get Ellen & Meat to attempt to redo their moaning and coda parts. I don't know. Wishful thinking I guess.

If the label itself "doesn't see a profit" in further releases of a catalog they themselves have milked endlessly, including foreign entities continuing to re-package the same old music in different configurations from their own sources, one has to wonder how to interpret that above and beyond their own quotes. Obviously they know they have a product on their hands they would cut up and split and reassemble in any way they have the rights to, and see a profit. Not having permission from Richard means, they don't have that latitude without his blessing. One assumes, "his blessing" would include further profit for him as well. Perhaps "his blessing" is not likely to come, without further stipulations or re-calibrations of any agreements currently in place.

I'm going to conclude, giving him what he wants in order to get what they want, implies, losing further profit potential in doing so...thus, "no profit in it" for them. They're happy with the arrangement as it stands, rather than threatening the goose that lays their golden egg.

I've never been able to find the video again, but Mr. Carpenter did an interview a few years ago where he stated that all the multitracks that were pulled for his remix session for the SACD were returned just in time to get burned. Had he clung to them for a few more days, those might have survived. But at this point, the physical tapes were destroyed in the fire in 2008. BUT, I would imagine that there may be digital copies of those selected tracks somewhere, but the actual physical tapes all went up in flames in 2008.
So...aww, gee, lost in a fire, with no proof that damaged tape exists, because, y'know, lost in the fire and all that. So...Richard got tapes from record company storage he used to do what he needed to with them, presumably in studio facilities of his own choosing, one assumes with all the usual tape copying equipment and other various technology...then returned the copies of the tapes he needed to do what he needed...and then, brought them all back. I see. Not like, we have any way to check that out to be sure, because, y'know, lost in the fire and all that.

Anybody remember when Ian Anderson "just happened" to find the best master tape copies possible in his closet at home...once the record label no longer had license to release his Jethro Tull work exclusively? I seem to remember hearing about that somewhere...

What am I trying to say here? Oh...nothin' boss...just musing aloud...

First, remember I don't follow what titles are candidates and which aren't. But, what about Andy Williams Quad material from the 70's? He has several titles. Seems to me they would make an amazing addition to DV's catalog. I want Johnny Mathis, but something tells me that won't happen. :(

last time i checked the Andy Williams stuff was under licence to BGO in the UK.. and Sony did a mahoosive box of Johnny Mathis not so long ago that's still in print afaik.. so i think we can rule those two out, sadly.. hope i'm wrong! i love all their Quads by both of them.

The ABC/Dot masters are controlled by Universal. I doubt they'll participate. The Andy William's and Johnny Mathis albums are part of Sony Music, probably the biggest contributor to DV.

DV seem well accustomed to working with Universal on getting the Quad stuff now, the latest tranch of SACDs include 3 Quads licenced from UMe; Paul Mauriat 2-fer of "Emanuelle/Fantastic 4 Channel" & Donald Byrd's "Street Lady".

I can understand Richard's attitude towards the Carpenters' Quads. If memory serves, one or two are fake, some others are.... I guess "flawed" would be a good word to use.... "Horizon" is probably the best mix but IMO, the weakest material.

last time i checked the Andy Williams stuff was under licence to BGO in the UK.. and Sony did a mahoosive box of Johnny Mathis not so long ago that's still in print afaik.. so i think we can rule those two out, sadly.. hope i'm wrong! i love all their Quads by both of them.
OK, so why can't DV sublicense from BGO? I guess I don't get how it all works.

There was something said that the person who did most of the A&M quad remixes wasn't actually qualified to do so. That would explain why so many of them are so bad. As for the Carpenters' masters, Richard did return the tapes to A&M after they insisted on their return. He had said that, if he had delayed returning them a few more days, they'd still exist. Still, was that fire really an accident? And what of the ABC tapes that had been left out on a loading dock for several days, exposed to the elements, that were destroyed that way? I suspect that was no accident.

OK, so why can't DV sublicense from BGO? I guess I don't get how it all works.
steelydave will be able to explain the intricaciessssssss ✌

BGO (along with the likes of Cherry Red and its sub-labels, and Ace Records) are direct competitors of D-V in the UK, so none of these companies are going to have anything to do with each other.

The nutshell version is that between themselves, Sony, Universal and Warner basically own the the rights to the very vast majority of every popular album released in the last 100 years. Major labels, like car manufacturers, don't want to sell 1,000 of something (it's pretty much literally not worth their time), they want to sell a million, or if they're lucky, multiple millions of copies, something which is probably a rarer and rarer occurrence these days.

One account from Billboard writer Bill Holland in the mid-00's suggested that UMG had something like 2.5 million various musical"assets" (a catch-all for anything that has music on it - tapes, laquers, wax cylinders, etc.) and Sony had in the region of 1.5 million. I'm not suggesting that 1 asset = 1 album, but it gives you a kind of ballpark for considering what these labels are dealing with. So what do they do with the tens (or hundreds) of thousands of albums they simply don't have the time or money to devote to reissuing? They license them out to reissue labels like D-V. Think of it as a kind of mutually beneficial type of outsourcing - because they're fronting the money for each reissue, the reissue label assumes all the risks involved, but at the same time that same label will (hopefully) also have unique knowledge about how to package/remaster the reissue in a way to maximise its appeal to their demographic, and also will also likely have a loyal customer base who will buy their products sight unseen (or unheard) based on their satisfaction with previous purchases. D-V is certainly building up that kind of reputation here, and there are plenty of fans of the stereo audiophile reissue labels like MoFi, AP, Intervention, and AF (when they were still around) both here and over on the Hoffman Forums.

I don't know the contractual nitty gritty of a licensing agreement, but it's my general understanding that the licenser (ie Sony) grants the licensee (ie BGO, or D-V) the exclusive right to sell their own unique version of an album for an agreed-upon number of years in whatever territory the licensee is located. It may vary from case to case, but generally the licensee has a certain number of discs pressed as part of the initial batch, and then they can order represses if the title sells out, if they're still within their license period. So basically, this is a long-winded way of saying that if BGO is selling stereo CDs of Andy Williams albums that also had quad versions, they're off the table for D-V until BGO's license with Sony expires. Knowing if or when that's happened is a tricky thing - some titles go out of print really quickly, while others seem to be perennially in print with the same reissue label, I'm guessing they just re-up their contracts if titles or selling, or maybe they have rolling agreements, I dunno. If you're curious if a title is possibly 'available' for D-V one way of researching it is to look up the album on a UK retailer like Amazon.co.uk (and/or HMV, or similar) and see if it's still available for sale from them, and not a 3rd party seller. If it says 'title unavailable' (as opposed to stock coming soon or something like that) then there's at least a chance that it's out of print - but again you never know because there's always stuff going on behind the scenes.

If you want more insight into what goes into a small reissue label, there's a guy on the Hoffman forums who started a label called 'Rubellan Remasters' - he made a thread over there called "New Classic Alt reissue label: Rubellan Remasters, now open for business!" where he discusses in pretty candid detail (maybe TOO candid, in my opinion) all the hurdles he's faced and his annoyances with all the various major label people he's had to work with. If anything it'll give you some extra appreciation for how D-V has managed to maintain such high quality and a high volume of releases, with a minimum of self-congratulatory back patting about their achievements...aside from posts like this where I get on my soapbox a bit. :D

BGO (along with the likes of Cherry Red and its sub-labels, and Ace Records) are direct competitors of D-V in the UK, so none of these companies are going to have anything to do with each other.

The nutshell version is that between themselves, Sony, Universal and Warner basically own the the rights to the very vast majority of every popular album released in the last 100 years. Major labels, like car manufacturers, don't want to sell 1,000 of something (it's pretty much literally not worth their time), they want to sell a million, or if they're lucky, multiple millions of copies, something which is probably a rarer and rarer occurrence these days.

One account from Billboard writer Bill Holland in the mid-00's suggested that UMG had something like 2.5 million various musical"assets" (a catch-all for anything that has music on it - tapes, laquers, wax cylinders, etc.) and Sony had in the region of 1.5 million. I'm not suggesting that 1 asset = 1 album, but it gives you a kind of ballpark for considering what these labels are dealing with. So what do they do with the tens (or hundreds) of thousands of albums they simply don't have the time or money to devote to reissuing? They license them out to reissue labels like D-V. Think of it as a kind of mutually beneficial type of outsourcing - because they're fronting the money for each reissue, the reissue label assumes all the risks involved, but at the same time that same label will (hopefully) also have unique knowledge about how to package/remaster the reissue in a way to maximise its appeal to their demographic, and also will also likely have a loyal customer base who will buy their products sight unseen (or unheard) based on their satisfaction with previous purchases. D-V is certainly building up that kind of reputation here, and there are plenty of fans of the stereo audiophile reissue labels like MoFi, AP, Intervention, and AF (when they were still around) both here and over on the Hoffman Forums.

I don't know the contractual nitty gritty of a licensing agreement, but it's my general understanding that the licenser (ie Sony) grants the licensee (ie BGO, or D-V) the exclusive right to sell their own unique version of an album for an agreed-upon number of years in whatever territory the licensee is located. It may vary from case to case, but generally the licensee has a certain number of discs pressed as part of the initial batch, and then they can order represses if the title sells out, if they're still within their license period. So basically, this is a long-winded way of saying that if BGO is selling stereo CDs of Andy Williams albums that also had quad versions, they're off the table for D-V until BGO's license with Sony expires. Knowing if or when that's happened is a tricky thing - some titles go out of print really quickly, while others seem to be perennially in print with the same reissue label, I'm guessing they just re-up their contracts if titles or selling, or maybe they have rolling agreements, I dunno. If you're curious if a title is possibly 'available' for D-V one way of researching it is to look up the album on a UK retailer like Amazon.co.uk (and/or HMV, or similar) and see if it's still available for sale from them, and not a 3rd party seller. If it says 'title unavailable' (as opposed to stock coming soon or something like that) then there's at least a chance that it's out of print - but again you never know because there's always stuff going on behind the scenes.

If you want more insight into what goes into a small reissue label, there's a guy on the Hoffman forums who started a label called 'Rubellan Remasters' - he made a thread over there called "New Classic Alt reissue label: Rubellan Remasters, now open for business!" where he discusses in pretty candid detail (maybe TOO candid, in my opinion) all the hurdles he's faced and his annoyances with all the various major label people he's had to work with. If anything it'll give you some extra appreciation for how D-V has managed to maintain such high quality and a high volume of releases, with a minimum of self-congratulatory back patting about their achievements...aside from posts like this where I get on my soapbox a bit. :D
That, my friend, is what I needed. Perfect explanation, and now I totally understand what's going on. Thanks a bunch. Your comment about granting a licensee with exclusive rights resonates with me because I sell soybean genetics to seed companies that do not (in most cases) have an internal breeding program. As a result, they take our genetics, put in in their marketing system and sell it.

It did not occur to me that only 3 major players control all that music. Here is another thing we do in soy. (makes me wonder if it can be done in music releases/sales) We often sell genetics as a non exclusive. This way, multiple companies can promote and sell...usually in different regions. Hmmm.

Since I’ve been on this forum, this subject has intrigued me more and more, so thanks for the explanation Dave.

I would imagine that behind all this there’s a real and continuous battle going on with these smaller labels to acquire the rights to certain titles. Perhaps even having some associates in their employ that are monitoring what’s available and if not when it potentially will be available in order the jump on it as quickly as possible and beat the other guy to the punch. Maybe also keep extensive databases with notifications.
Looks like I’ll need to check out that SHF thread for more of the dirty little nitty gritty and more fun.

Always a pleasure to read your soapbox ramblings, and they’re definitely some of the highlights of this entire forum.

I'm guessing when the quad/multi-channel/surround discs are reissued, they are the original quad (or modified) mix that the record companies originally released? I can't imagine they are remixing them...but maybe.

Most of the titles I see are for ones that had a quad album or Q8 tape available.

Reactions: GOS
I'm guessing when the quad/multi-channel/surround discs are reissued, they are the original quad (or modified) mix that the record companies originally released? I can't imagine they are remixing them...but maybe.

Most of the titles I see are for ones that had a quad album or Q8 tape available.

Mr. Dutton has offered us a handful of tracks he mixed himself in Quad as bonus tracks on some of his releases. I doubt he would mix a complete album, but who knows. Anything is possible.

The Dutton-Vocalion SACDs are remasters rather than remixes. They don't go back to the multitrack tapes and create a new surround mix of the album. Instead, they take the master tape that the quad mix was originally printed to back in the '70s, transfer it to digital, and apply just the right amount of EQ to make it sound better than you'd ever think possible. The improvement in sound quality can be staggering, but the actual mix (volume levels of the instruments and how they're panned throughout the four speakers) is unchanged.

Back