Precision Tapes Ltd./Pye UK Q8's (info/catch all thread)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one I hadn't seen photographic evidence of showed up on eBay UK, not once, but twice recently - "like London buses," as they say over there, "you wait ages for one and then two come along together."

Y8QAM 961 - Quincy Jones 'Walking in Space'
y8qam-961-quincy-jones-walking-in-space-0.jpgy8qam-961-quincy-jones-walking-in-space-1.jpgy8qam-961-quincy-jones-walking-in-space-2.jpgy8qam-961-quincy-jones-walking-in-space-3.jpg

What were they asking for them?

The first one was a Buy It Now that sold for 20 quid (already overpriced in my opinion) and now there's another one on there currently with a starting bid of 36 pounds. If there were something special about the tape (UK-only tape, or Dolby encoded or something) but seeing as you can get the US domestic version for 10 bucks I don't see the point, unless you're in love with the idea of the rarity of the UK version.

Y8QP 1018 - 101 Strings with Monty Kelly 'Whiter Shade of Pale'
y8qp-1018-101_strings_whiter_shade-3.jpgy8qp-1018-101_strings_whiter_shade-1.jpgy8qp-1018-101_strings_whiter_shade-2.jpgy8qp-1018-101_strings_whiter_shade-4.jpg

Another one that showed up on eBay UK this week - Precision tapes were the UK licensee/distributor of US label Alshire's 101 Strings albums, and this is the album called Today's Sounds (released on QS LP, Q8 and QR in the US) under another name.

One of the rarer of the Precision Tapes issues (the only other photographic evidence I have of this is a 100 pixel wide image of the spine of the tape when it sold as part of a bulk lot 10 years ago) this showed up on eBay UK recently - the 1972 release from British singer, comedian, entertainer (and second-best host of long-running game show Countdown) Des O'Connor, Sing a Favourite Song.

Y8QP 18390 - Des O'Connor 'Sing a Favourite Song'
Y8QP-18390---Des-OConnor---Sing-a-Favourite-Song---2.jpgY8QP-18390---Des-OConnor---Sing-a-Favourite-Song---1.jpgY8QP-18390---Des-OConnor---Sing-a-Favourite-Song---3.jpg

Y8QP 1016 - Acker Bilk 'His Clarinet & Strings'

y8qp-1016---acker-bilk-his-clarinet-and-strings-q8---1.jpgy8qp-1016---acker-bilk-his-clarinet-and-strings-q8---2.jpgy8qp-1016---acker-bilk-his-clarinet-and-strings-q8---3.jpg

@JonUrban posted a low-resolution picture of this one earlier in the thread, this is the first time since that I've seen this tape, so I nabbed the better quality pictures. Another example of PRT's poor attention to detail, the album artwork says "His Clarinet & Strings" but they've decided to call it "With Clarinet And Strings" on the back and spine of the tape.

Another example of PRT's poor attention to detail, the album artwork says "His Clarinet & Strings" but they've decided to call it "With Clarinet And Strings" on the back and spine of the tape.

It also mistakenly gives composer credit to Garfunkel on BoTW.

Back