Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EQ in the upper mids (probably between 5k and 10k) on the quad/bluray version is emphasizing the upper harmonics of the guitar riff - it's the same take, same guitar,etc. It basically matches your comments about the mastering on that album being more trebly.

If you have a program like Voxengo SPAN (which is freeware I think) you can load the two files up at the same time and compare the frequency response differences.

I attached two MP3 files below containing the first 27 seconds of "China Grove", front channels only, from both the new 4.0 Blu-Ray and the old 5.1 DVD-A. Does anyone else think that the opening riff has an entirely different sound on the quad mix? It's almost like it runs at a high pitch. Maybe I'm losing my mind...

Agree with Dave: the pitch isn't different, but the guitar is more trebly (and fuzzier). Scheiner's stereo fronts are also more balanced overall.

I attached two MP3 files below containing the first 27 seconds of "China Grove", front channels only, from both the new 4.0 Blu-Ray and the old 5.1 DVD-A. Does anyone else think that the opening riff has an entirely different sound on the quad mix? It's almost like it runs at a high pitch. Maybe I'm losing my mind...
The Quadio guitar sound may be more authentic to what was played. If you’re in front of a live guitar amp it can sound much sharper and visceral than what is typically captured on a recording. Knowing what amp and guitar might go a long way in understanding the original sound. Of course we all know, that not only does the guitarist have substantial control over how their rig sounds; any number of sound manipulations can happen thereafter in the chain from recording to final mastering. Only the folks in the room during recording know for sure. Now days with all the effects/processing power/Pro Tools/amp modeling etc. they can fashion it to sound however they like.

I remember seeing Robben Ford with Larry Carlton on tour here in Sacramento. Robben actually held up the show until his guitar tech. had installed a particular tube in his favorite Dumble amp. They have a unique sound they’re going for and they’ll go to great lengths to maintain that.

Well at least yours is moving!!!! Happy for you....if anyone should give up and get a refund it's me, but I'm hanging in there😀
Well,I would not call it moving.Rhino have said shipped for four days but UPS have not received it yet.If I moved that slow I would consider myself close to sleeping. ;)

Mine got to the Postal Distribution Center on the 9th, which is about 35 miles away, but it's going to take until Saturday to get here. Good think this isn't December or it would take weeks! You can understand how all of those DV orders last December got so messed up. DV ended up double shipping because they assumed the packages were lost, but they were really just sitting in NYC.

shipping 2.jpg

And I thought that ordering from the Doobie Bro’s. site would be the no worry way to go. There was a lot of buzz about Rhino site not working or freezing so that is why I chose the DB site. They sent an e mail expecting the discs to arrive at their warehouse early this week. Here it is Thursday and not a word.

As of 5:29 am yesterday, mine has been accepted at my local post office. I'll bet it goes out for local delivery tomorrow. Could get a nice surprise today, but my money's on tomorrow. Will be a nice way to start the weekend. I sure miss the days when I would have gone to my local Hastings and bought one off the shelf!

Got a response from Rhino. This does not look promising Keep in mind I got the same email on 31 August everybody else did saying it was <on the way>. I preordered as soon as it went up. 🤬

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for contacting us!

We are sorry to hear that your order was not received. We can check our stock availability, and if available, resend it to you, or we can issue you a refund.

Please let us know which you prefer and confirm the address is correct if you would like us to re-ship.

Sincerely,

Stephanie
Rhino Store - Homepage | Rhino

The two files sync up almost perfectly and only begin to go out of phase near the end of the samples. There's definitely an EQ difference as you and other posters have stated. Additionally, the reverb is more apparent on the quad. It may just be the way it's mixed to the left channel, not necessarily that there's more.

The EQ difference would mostly be due to the taste of the person doing the mixing...but also remember that both the quad mixer back in the 70’s and Elliot Schiener circa 2000 both would have used the original 2” analog multi-track master tape source and it was about 25 years “fresher” for the quad mix😁

I ordered mine on Aug 7th as well. Still getting
USPS Currently Awaiting Package
A status update is not yet available for your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.

Sign up for Informed Delivery® to receive notifications for packages addressed to you.
Glad I'm not the only one!!!! Thanks for that!! :D (y)(y)

On the stating the obvious front, I guess it needs to be pointed out that everyone was warned this was going to happen. Just not with respect to what (for many of us-for better or worse) hold in higher priority than the parallel issue of mail-in absentee ballots. It turns out the postal service (imperfect though it may be) is something with which NOT to be trifled. Some of us could've saved a lot of time and wasted tax resources if we'd been asked. The Internet makes some things easier but NOT ALL things. I'm at the back end of this line because I waited until the release date to order, so I can't legitimately complain. YET. How much is Rhino's fault and how much is the USPS's remains to be seen. From what I read it appears to be a bit of both. (Correct me if I'm getting any of that wrong...)

Back