Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know. I made many upmixes, but I am certain that a multichannel release must be made especcialy for that. There is no need for putting a few instruments or a bit of echo in the back channels. Multichannel music must do something extra to that.

If this ever happens, I'd like them to take a stab at OBC or ASOS next.
OBC was supposedly mixed in 5.1 by Andy Jackson when he mixed Meddle in 5.1, but Roger Waters was not consulted and would not approve either release but his guy Jamie Guthrie did not do them.

Someone in the Floyd camp (maybe Guthrie?) commented that he didn't think anything before AHM could be mixed in 5.1 because there are not enough discrete elements on the tapes (from too many overdubds?).

OBC was supposedly mixed in 5.1 by Andy Jackson when he mixed Meddle in 5.1, but Roger Waters was not consulted and would not approve either release but his guy Jamie Guthrie did not do them.

Someone in the Floyd camp (maybe Guthrie?) commented that he didn't think anything before AHM could be mixed in 5.1 because there are not enough discrete elements on the tapes (from too many overdubds?).

Were the reasons Meddle was pulled (but not pulled) ever reported anywhere? Aside from internet gossip I never read anything concrete.

I thought it was reported that the original multis from ASOS were available but I need to look again. I also read similar that TPATGOD couldn't be done for the reasons you mentioned. Major bummer. ☹️

Were the reasons Meddle was pulled (but not pulled) ever reported anywhere? Aside from internet gossip I never read anything concrete.

Vernon Fitch, PF's archivist, stopped by the forum back in November 2016 and said this:
I can verify that James Guthrie had nothing to do with the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC being pulled from the set. He was not involved in what was put on the set, or what was left off the set. It would have been a better box set if he had been involved.
Roger Waters is the one who had the mixes pulled from the set because no told him that the mixes were being done, and no one bothered to play the mixes for him. All previous 5.1 mixes (DSOTM & WYWH) were played for all the band members for their input and approval prior to releasing them. This time round no one bothered, and the result was that they got pulled.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

If I were in a band, I'd be mad if my bandmates decided to remix music I helped compose without my knowledge.

Vernon Fitch, PF's archivist, stopped by the forum back in November 2016 and said this:

If I were in a band, I'd be mad if my bandmates decided to remix music I helped compose without my knowledge.

Thanks for sharing that. I have a few of Vernon's books and he's a great source. I agree and understand why he'd be pissed. If I remember correctly, Van Morrison was also upset that the 5.1 Moondance was done without his approval. Matter of respect.

Thanks for sharing that. I have a few of Vernon's books and he's a great source. I agree and understand why he'd be pissed. If I remember correctly, Van Morrison was also upset that the 5.1 Moondance was done without his approval. Matter of respect.

The Pros and Cons: In Van's case, none other than Elliot Scheiner remixed Moondance to great effect while carefully respecting Morrison's original intent and it did languish in Warner's vaults for 40 years or so before being released by Warner as a LOSSLESS BD~A. Only wish Morrison had allowed Scheiner to remix ALL of his classic output as, IMO, they could ALL use a 5.1 remix.....and probably not only sound better than ever but find a whole new and apprecitive audience.

And let's face it, Van is not exactly renowned for his 'Rosy Disposition!'

And if I'm not mistaken, Warner does control/own all of Van's early Warner Brother's master tapes....which, I'm certain, is a major bone of contention for Mr. Morrison...who obviously neither failed to read the fine print....and/or was another victim of the Record Conglomerates rather 'unscrupulous' practices!

Last edited:
The Pros and Cons: In Van's case, none other than Elliot Scheiner remixed Moondance to great effect while carefully respecting Morrison's original intent and it did languish in Warner's vaults for 40 years or so before being released by Warner as a LOSSLESS BD~A. Only wish Morrison had allowed Scheiner to remix ALL of his classic output as, IMO, they could ALL use a 5.1 remix.....and probably not only sound better than ever but find a whole new and apprecitive audience.

And let's face it, Van is not exactly renowned for his 'Rosy Disposition!'

I'd pay anything for a surround mix of Astral Weeks. Literally, anything.

I'd pay anything for a surround mix of Astral Weeks. Literally, anything.

Which is my exact point, NGV! I did add a few more lines to my original above post and Van Morrison is rightfully pissed that Warner does control those phenomenol early master tapes of what is considered his best output. I would also love to hear Veedon Fleece which in surround would render it more spiritually ethereal than it ever sounded in Stereo....MOST especially if Scheiner had a crack at that, Astral Weeks, Tupelo Honey and Saint Dominic's Preview...et alia [that list goes on and on]!

And I'm sure we're all happy campers that Moondance was released in surround and I imagine sales of that BD~A went through the ROOF!

At this juncture, wonder if RHINO would ever consider a Van Morrison Stereo BD~A boxset albeit in 192/24! Now, that would be SPECIAL!

Last edited:
Would love to hear a 5.1 of Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrimecocept album, great rock / metal music, mutliple singers / characters, phone and rain effects i did ask the band if there were any 30th anniversary plans and got a ‘no’ as the album was in control of the record company not the band.

If anyone wants to sell the dvd-a of Empire, feel free to let me know

Paul Simon - Graceland
Beck - Midnite Vultures
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
Dire Straits - Self Titled
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Who - Who's Next
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Sly & The Family Stone - Fresh
Tool - 10000 Days
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Would love to hear a 5.1 of Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrimecocept album, great rock / metal music, mutliple singers / characters, phone and rain effects i did ask the band if there were any 30th anniversary plans and got a ‘no’ as the album was in control of the record company not the band.

If anyone wants to sell the dvd-a of Empire, feel free to let me know

https://www.discogs.com/Queensrÿche-Empire/release/2457711

Agree ,Queen ll The multi-layered overdubs became trademark of Queen

Sadly since much of it was overdubbed on the multitracks it might be difficult to do a proper surround mix. It's been reported on Queen forums that the multitracks from that era are 16 track. Still that might be enough to work with.

At least with Queen they own all their own master tapes and rights to publish etc. "All" you have to do is talk them into it.

I posted this list previously;

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Leftfield - Leftism
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Yes - 90125
DJ Shadow - Entroducin
Prodigy - The Fat of The Land
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
FSOL - Lifeforms
Lemon Jelly - KY
Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Vangelis - Soil Festivities / China / Invisible Connections
SFA - Guerilla
Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow
Orbital - Insides
The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld ("Little Fluffy Clouds" in SURROUND?)
Ultravox - Vienna
Human League - Dare
Global Communication 76:14

"Vienna" is coming soon, perhaps others will follow.

I'd also add

Air - Moon Safari
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy
Donna Summer - The Dance Collection ("I Feel Love"?)
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasure Dome
The Temptations - All Directions
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish
Pete Namlook - Air

The Grateful Dead's Infrared Roses. These are jams into the drums/space (pee break, not for me though) portion of shows. I believe they are from multi-track recordings. Would love to hear these sounds bouncing around the room without being "influenced".

Back