A (just for fun) poll: What would you want the next Quadio box to be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should the next Rhino Quadio box be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bette Midler Miss M s a really good quad mix, album has audiophile grade sound, a big hit is included, but it is not in line I know that, it got a special reissue and they skipped the quad.

So I'll take
America - Greatest Hits
Seals and Crofts - Greatest Hits
Best of Carly Simon
Bread - Baby I'm a Want You
Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus, plus Dragon Fly- a Two-Fer
Ten Years After - A Space in Time (with corrected F/B channels) WMG has this now!
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Gordon Lightfoot - The complete Quadio recordings
Randy Newman - Sail Away / Good Old Boys - a Two-Fer featuring his two finest!

Last edited:
I am so over the Eagles. I think the Classic Rock station in Dallas is required to play at least 3 Eagles or Eagles related (Walsh, Henley, Frey) songs per hour.
The first two Eagles albums did not get quad mixes, and they are my current favorites. So yeah, way low on my want list.

But also Quadio like packs I'd LOVE to see are Areosmith (Wings,Toys & Rocks which have all been released before in Quad format + the rest of their catalogue), Zeppelin (Complete Cataloge), ELP (Complete Catalogue), Boston (Boston & Don't Look Back), Jimi Hendrix Experience (Complete Cataloge), Grand Funk Railroad (Complete catalogue), Elton John (Complete Catatogue), Prince ( Complete Catalogue), Pink Floyd (Complete Catalogue), Heart (Complete Catalogue), Queen(1st 4 albums), Dire Straights (Complete Catalogue), SRV (Complete Catalogue), Joe Satriani(Complete Catalogue), David Bowie(up to Let's Dance), T-Rex(Complete Catalogue), Kiss (Alive 1-4), Ted Nugent (Complete Catalogue)and Three Dog Night (Complete) last but not least think that's enough for starters.....LMAO :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: !!!! But yes I am serious!!:cool:

A modest list. You might wish to set your aspirations higher. 😇

I have no music industry knowledge at all, I'm a lowly molecular genetics technologist. Could sequence Elliot Scheiner's genome though.
That's amazing. I'm a molecular biologist myself, although now I just manage scientists. I teach kinship analysis also.

Hey you two biology pros, stop delving into the next Quadio and get back to work on the vaccine! :eek::eek::eek:

I am so over the Eagles. I think the Classic Rock station in Dallas is required to play at least 3 Eagles or Eagles related (Walsh, Henley, Frey) songs per hour.
I totally understand. It's a good point for sure. Eagles have certainly been overplayed for the last 30 years I'd say.
The first two Eagles albums did not get quad mixes, and they are my current favorites. So yeah, way low on my want list.

I know what you all mean, but rest assured the QQ Horde will all pre-order a Quadio Eagle's set within 10 minutes of learning that it's available...(OK, maybe within a day, but that's only because the Rhino site will be overloaded and some of us won't be able to get in.)

Is there a more divisive band than the Eagles?
The appeal is obvious. The talent is on point. But there's that schmaltz factor that can really trigger certain kinds of people. I'd be one of them.

This is probably all wrong from record label to including video. The "legacy" part fits though!

Frank Zappa

(') original quad
Overnight Sensation original quad
Baby Snakes with original quad audio
Roxy and Elsewhere with original quad audio

And then find something to surprise us that no one knows about. Like an original unreleased quad mix of One Size Fits All!

Frank Zappa

(') original quad
Overnight Sensation original quad
Baby Snakes with original quad audio
Roxy and Elsewhere with original quad audio

And then find something to surprise us that no one knows about. Like an original unreleased quad mix of One Size Fits All!

Although those Zappa titles were originally distributed through Warner Brothers, the catalog is now under the control of Universal.

I am friends with Scott Parker, the host of the official Zappa Podcast. At my request, he has asked Joe Travers, the Zappa "vaultmeister", about the quad tapes. Joe has confirmed that in addition to Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation, Zappa did complete a quad mix of Roxy. He also confirmed that the rumored quad mix of One Size Fits All was never actually completed. Joe has also mentioned that in addition to those 3 albums, there are lots of other quad mixes that Frank did sitting in the vault. He did not specify though what material that was. Joe has said that he would like to see this stuff released, however it does not seem to be a priority for Universal or for the Zappa Family Trust.

Last edited:
I don't think we will get any more Quadio box sets from Rhino.

Why?

The Chicago & Doobie Brothers sets were "perfect storm" candidates in that both of these artists are not only still very popular and successful, but they each had enough Quadraphonic mixes to fill a box set.

We'll probably never see any other releases like these from Rhino again.

What we COULD see I think are individual D2C (Direct to Consumer) releases on Blu-Ray audio through the Rhino webstore or Blu-Ray audio releases as part of a deluxe edition box set for any one particular album.

Good examples that could fit both moulds that are not listed above:
-Alice Cooper: "Billion Dollar Babies" and "Muscle of Love"
-America: "Holiday" and "Hearts"
-Jackson Browne: "Late for the Sky"
-ZZ Top: "Tres Hombres" (originally released as a Quad LP, 8-track, and Reel on London Records, now owned by Warner Music & Rhino Records)

I think the Eagles don't stand a chance. Why? Out of all of the artists that Rhino hold Quadraphonic masters for, the Eagles are far and away the most successful out of everyone else. So Rhino has not put out the Eagles Quadraphonic masters not because they don't see the commercial value of them. They haven't reissued them because there are other roadblocks...

Eagles, James Taylor, and Joni Mitchell for me.

I think Hotel California already had a 5.1 DVD Audio. I used to own James Taylor Gorilla on CD-4 vinyl if I recall. That was not a particularly adventurous mix if I recall.

I would be very up for Late for the Sky. I used to have that in Quad on vinyl in the day also.

The Eagles are definitely an amazing band, but as said here in a earlier thread, very overplayed over the years. I'd probably pass on a Rhino issue of them. I have the quad albums and rarely play them.

I'd absolutely love Carly Simon and Joni Mitchell. I definitely wouldn't mind the McCartney and Wings stuff that was out on Q8. Alice Cooper and Linda Ronstadt were both in the Warner family back in the day, too. They'd be great, but I don't think any of Linda's stuff ever made it to quad for some reason.

I missed out on the Chicago. Love them! I wasn't collecting yet when it came out, but I have most of their albums in quad. (SQ unfortunately 🤢) It's definitely pricey now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back