How To Determine if SACD is 5.1 Surround Before Purchase?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does not look like anyone else has mentioned The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference yet. I use them frequently to check not only channel content but for reviews of the recording and content. I also use QQ alot for surround title research. Try the name like this:

In Google search:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD site:https:/ /www.quadraphonicquad.com

Sub in the title you want but keep SACD. You must also remove the space between / /, which I had to insert so the string would not convert to a link.

Does not look like anyone else has mentioned The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference yet. I use them frequently to check not only channel content but for reviews of the recording and content. I also use QQ alot for surround title research. Try the name like this:

In Google search:

Sub in the title you want but keep SACD. You must also remove the space between / /, which I had to insert so the string would not convert to a link.
SA-CD.Net is the old site from what is now HRAudio.net.
SA-CD.net used to be a forum like this QQ site is but in 2014 a bunch of us goofballs, Ralphie, Me, Derek, Brett, etc made it a little crazy for the very stern owners of the site so they changed it to a non forum site that it is today.

SA-CD.net used to be a forum like this QQ site is but in 2014 a bunch of us goofballs, Ralphie, Me, Derek, Brett, etc made it a little crazy for the very stern owners of the site so they changed it to a non forum site that it is today.

Well you couldn't really talk about the kind of music you wanted to over there:censored:

It is still in many cases a good quick reference and has reviews. I will have to check out the other site. Thanks!

You’ll also find that some titles are released in multiple SACD formats with some being strictly stereo and the same title being available in stereo and 5.1 combo. That can make it confusing. With the exception of Amazon You can usually spot if it’s Stereo only or Stereo and 5.1. If it doesn’t state 5.1 or multi channel, then assume it is not. Yes, it can get pricey finding out of print 5.1 SACD releases. Some of the best values lately In surround have been the Doobies and Chicago Quadio sets (in Blu Ray) and of course Dutton Vocalion who offers incredible value in SACDs and often includes 2 releases on one disc. There are still decent prices on many of The Doors multi channel SACDs released by Analogue Sounds and sold at Acoustic Sounds.

Welcome to the forum :hi ..if you ever have any doubts about a title being surround....just inquire on this forum...you will get the answer....since you are new..be aware that the member who responded to your post(Eggplant) is NOT a forum moderator...we have excellent moderators on this site if you need assistance just contact them

I would mention that you should not just eliminate a title because it's not in surround....there are many excellent recordings in stereo and mono...I wouldn't limit your options....you will miss a lot of great music....

In Google search:

Fourplay,
Though this seems to be a rather basic question, this is actually a good topic. It can be difficult at times to determine just what something is.
Stereo ..Stereo/Multi-channel... I use SA-CD a lot myself. Discogs is another good source.
It always helps if there are images of the sacd- front/back & disc... hopefully the resolution of the photos are good enough so the details are legible...
...the next question is: if it's multichannel, what sort of multichannel is it? ..a 'silverline'.. ambient..or discrete?
This can be rather frustrating! ...if all else fails, come here to the polls or post the question. We have people here who are in the know:)

Last edited:
Fourplay,
Though this seems to be a rather basic question, this is actually a good topic. It can be difficult at times to determine just what something is.
Stereo ..Stereo/Multichannel... I use SA-CD a lot myself. Discogs is another good source.
It always helps if there are images of the sacd- front/back & disc... hopefully the resolution of the photos are good enough so the details are legible...
...the next question is: if it's multichannel, what sort of mulitchannel is it? ..a 'silverline'.. ambient..or discrete?
This can be rather frustrating! ...if all else fails, come here to the polls or post the question. We have people here who are in the know:)

More comments:

Not all that is multichannel is worthwhile. I do not prefer simple ambience in the rears. Some people do. I find QQ to be the most consistently reliable source for reviews of the actual mix. There are certainly other places like SA-CD, but many reviews of multichannel discs there do not comment on the mix.

Not all that is Silverline sucks. It would be easier if this was true. There are threads to weed out the good ones:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/silverline-dvd-a-winners-losers.1926/post-11443https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ery-conservative-quad-mixes.25164/post-379298
Of course tastes vary too, but here at least you can usually find opinions as a starting point for vetting a title. Sometimes you "only" get a good high res stereo version, but at least that is something.

Back