Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna wait, rebuilding my sound system in another room. One Steven Wilson disc can buy one interconnect cable.
I know this will be the time to think about adding Atmos, I am just not sold on it yet. I love a really good 5.1 done properly.

I think it would stand to reason then, that you would also like a really good ATMOS mix when done properly.

New single out today and will be released in October's RSD together with 2 other new tracks (all in stereo).
What made me laugh hard was the following statement in the mail I received from Steven Wilson marketing team promoting the album: " THE FUTURE BITES is the first contemporary album to be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos".

The worst thing for me in the track Personal Shopper is the spoken passage where deluxe box sets are one of the spoken luxury unnessesary things. Jep its true but this is the point where he critizises his own marketing strategy and „laugh“ to the people who buy anyway. Not a very sympethatic way.
It‘s the same with the very rich Roger Waters who blames the industry ;)

TFB & TOMBS, But as long as there’s a stand alone BD option I’ll be giving it a ride!
Different strokes and all; but GHS was a real money grab IMO (A.K.A. - shoving the whole Shebang down my throat!)

Here's what got sent out in the email:

STEVEN WILSON x THE FUTURE BITES™
"EMINENT SLEAZE" VIDEO ONLINE NOW
DIRECTED BY MILES SKARIN // PRODUCED BY CRYSTAL SPOTLIGHT

"EMINENT SLEAZE"
VINYL/CD PRODUCT

1. EMINENT SLEAZE
2. EYEWITNESS
3. IN FLORAL GREEN

RSD EXCLUSIVE OUT 24TH OCTOBER 2020
"EMINENT SLEAZE" VIDEO & DIGITAL TRACK OUT NOW

LISTEN TO 'EMINENT SLEAZE'

Alternate text
THE FUTURE BITES™
THE NEW ALBUM BY STEVEN WILSON
OUT 29th JANUARY 2021

UNSELF
SELF
KING GHOST
12 THINGS I FORGOT
EMINENT SLEAZE
PERSONAL SHOPPER
MAN OF THE PEOPLE
FOLLOWER
COUNT OF UNEASE

Following a delay caused by the initial onset of COVID 19 and after a subsequent revision, Steven Wilson’s sixth album is finally released on 29th January 2021.

THE FUTURE BITES explores ways that the human brain has evolved in the internet era. Where 2017’s Top 3 album TO THE BONE confronted the (then) emerging global issues of post truth and fake news, THE FUTURE BITES places the listener in a world of 21st century addictions. It’s a place where ongoing, very public experiments with nascent technology on our lives take place constantly; where clicks and Tiks have become more important that human interaction. THE FUTURE BITES is less a bleak vision of an approaching dystopia and more a curious and playful reading of a world made all the more strange and separated by the events of 2020.

Musically, THE FUTURE BITES positively gleams. Across the album, there’s tracks that deal in gorgeous electronics warped by human intervention (KING GHOST) soaring acoustics that hit the stratosphere (12 THINGS I FORGOT); a ten minute treatise on the joys of oniomania laid out by Elton John over a Moroder-esque whirlwind (PERSONAL SHOPPER) and a relentless bass-driven Motorik groove that dives right into the murk of clickbait and online radicalisation (FOLLOWER). The album’s new recording, COUNT OF UNEASE, is a beautifully plaintive close to the album that floats out on a mix of piano and ambient sound. Together, the nine tracks form Steven’s most consistently brilliant work to date. THE FUTURE BITES was recorded in London and co-produced by David Kosten (Bat For Lashes, Everything Everything) and Steven Wilson.

Between now and the release of the album THE FUTURE BITES website will crack a door open onto a wonderful world of purchase power, a place where everything is marketable and nothing is too random or too moronic to be considered valuable. Inspired by notable 21st century artefacts like the Virgil Abloh ceramic block or Vitality Air’s canned Canadian oxygen, THE FUTURE BITES website is a fully imagined consumer universe (built in collaboration with Baby and Crystal Spotlight) designed to be accessible and addictive to anyone from the casual fan to the hardcore collector. The site will feature regular drops of limited edition merchandise over the coming months - this could be anything from a slogan shirt to a branded hole punch.

THE FUTURE BITES will be available on all digital platforms, vinyl, cassette, CD and as a limited edition deluxe box set that contains CDs of the album, an instrumental version of the album, bonus material (including 6 additional songs and several reworked versions of album tracks, among them a 19 minute extended mix of PERSONAL SHOPPER), a cassette of demos and a Blu-Ray featuring videos and Steven Wilson’s own 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos versions of the album. THE FUTURE BITES is the first contemporary album to be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos.

Following the release of PERSONAL SHOPPER earlier in the year, a second track from THE FUTURE BITES is out online today. EMINENT SLEAZE is a wholly unethical life lesson strapped to a piece of grimy, low-slung funk, and as much a departure from Steven’s previous records as its immediate predecessor (watch Miles Skarin’s end times video for the track here).

A limited edition 12” of EMINENT SLEAZE will be released as part of this year’s Record Store Day. It will be available in participating #RSD20 shops both in person and online as part of this year’s third and final RSD20 drop on October 24th. A limited edition CD single will also be released on the same day, along with a very limited merchandise bundle available for 24 hours only. Both CD and 12” feature exclusive tracks recorded during the album sessions EYEWITNESS and IN FLORAL GREEN.

New Steven Wilson live dates are currently being confirmed for 2021.

It took me a long time to warm up to Personal Shopper. Hated it at first, but one night it just clicked for me and now I really enjoy it. Is it his amazing prog rock sound? No, but pop music done in a clever way is just fine. And he's always said if hes not evolving in his musical offerings, what's the point? Isn't that why Porcupine Tree dissolved?

I'm getting a little bit of "Have a Cigar" vibes from Eminent Sleaze. Keyboards sound great in it! Looking forward to the whole album.

The worst thing for me in the track Personal Shopper is the spoken passage where deluxe box sets are one of the spoken luxury unnessesary things. Jep its true but this is the point where he critizises his own marketing strategy and „laugh“ to the people who buy anyway. Not a very sympethatic way.
It‘s the same with the very rich Roger Waters who blames the industry ;)
I think many of us would not buy the huge box sets if a certain disc wasn't usually locked up in it. Luckily, he isn't one of those people (for the most part).

It took me a long time to warm up to Personal Shopper. Hated it at first, but one night it just clicked for me and now I really enjoy it. Is it his amazing prog rock sound? No, but pop music done in a clever way is just fine. And he's always said if hes not evolving in his musical offerings, what's the point? Isn't that why Porcupine Tree dissolved?

I'm getting a little bit of "Have a Cigar" vibes from Eminent Sleaze. Keyboards sound great in it! Looking forward to the whole album.

I think many of us would not buy the huge box sets if a certain disc wasn't usually locked up in it. Luckily, he isn't one of those people (for the most part).
I also noticed the Pink Floyd vibe in keyboards.

He uses the jingle from his podcast in this song! Or is it the other way around? :unsure: ;)

I'm hoping Eminent Sleaze is to The Future Bites as Permanating was to To the Bone. An outlier. Personal Shopper didn't do much for me and this one does even less. If the entire album sounds like this, I might take a pass, which is something I thought I'd never say concerning an SW record.

"THE FUTURE BITES will be available on all digital platforms, vinyl, cassette, CD and as a limited edition deluxe box set that contains CDs of the album, an instrumental version of the album, bonus material (including 6 additional songs and several reworked versions of album tracks, among them a 19 minute extended mix of PERSONAL SHOPPER), a cassette of demos and a Blu-Ray featuring videos and Steven Wilson’s own 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos versions of the album. THE FUTURE BITES is the first contemporary album to be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos."

Outstanding Music, Great SciFi. Just enjoy it as the fiction writing it is. ;)
Can't wait for the release, shake a leg please Steven.

Back